User Tag List

Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By Chantel
  • 1 Post By walkonby
  • 1 Post By Natalka
  • 3 Post By gracesmommy
  • 1 Post By Chantel
  • 1 Post By hollyquaiscer

Thread: Mini Corndogs recipe - SO EASY. Kids love these!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I've developed a recipe based off of the Foster Farms brand that USED to be sold at Costco, but now no longer is. Out of desperation and lack of ingredients, I set out to make the fastest, easiest corn dog recipe that tasted similar that I could. And I have.

Name:  tumblrm65ku3a2k21r19qsj.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  27.0 KB

This is a photo I took a week ago. I've gone through trial and error with these, and this is the finished recipe. My picky sister ASKS for these. They'd be fantastic for a party! The use of the first ingredient eliminates the need for leavening ingredients, flour, buttermilk, butter, and measuring, essentially. This saves MASSIVE time and allows you to make more in the blink of an eye.

The recipe is by-eye, I don't measure because I make a different amount each time, but I'll give estimates of what you should look for in terms of consistency, it's fairly easy to judge based on that. Make whatever amount you need, just go by visual clues.

Needed:
    Pancake mix, store bought, any brand. Not flavored.
    Corn meal (Bulk barn! It's very cheap)
    Honey (optional, but gives it the foster farms taste IMO)
    Water
    Hot dogs

Equipment:
    Tongs
    Skewers, popsicle sticks, etc, about 12 cm long each.
    Deep fryer or pot with oil in it, 180-190 degrees.

Mix pancake mix with water to consistency thicker than plain pancake batter, but not thick like cookie dough. Think brownie batter. Then, mix in cornmeal until it's pale yellow, or add more if you love cornmeal. At this point, batter should be almost as thick as cookie dough, and should stick to a spoon, you don't want it too runny or the batter on your dogs will be thin and not fluffy.

Now pour in the honey to taste, the more slight sweetness and 'honey crunch' you like, the more you should add. It's often easier to mix and incorporate if you zap it in the microwave for a few seconds.

If the mixture is too thin, add more cornmeal or pancake batter. If too thick, add more water.

After the batter is prepared:
    Dry the hot dogs with paper towel and cut in half (it makes them SO much easier to dip!). Have the deep fryer/oil preheated to 180 or 190, and remove the basket in your deep fryer. Skewer the half-dogs and dip them in a bowl, using a spoon if needed to make sure every part of exposed meat is battered, otherwise open spots will char and burn.

Holding by the skewer, dip end into hot oil, and allow to 'puff' for about five seconds before allowing the dog to drop in the oil. It gives the end a bit of buoyancy so it doesn't stick to the bottom.

Cook until golden brown and pat excess oil off with paper towels.

Enjoy the aroma of your home smelling like a fairground

If anyone tries these please let me know!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    This thread is currently associated with: Bulk Barn, Costco
    Last edited by Chantel; Sun, Jun 24th, 2012 at 11:43 PM.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Chantel

Thanks for doing all the trial and error for us. They look like the real deal! I might try to make some for DH and DS this week. They both love a nice corn dog...who doesn't?
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

They look yummy and we love corndogs, but this is a no-go for me without a recipe and measurements!

I've tried recipes in the past, and they were horrid.

These might be my next try, but I wouldn't add the spicey components

http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=4605
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

claires mommy too! <3 gracesmommy's Avatar
    Trading Score
    392 (100%)

i've never had a corn dog but these look really good! i'm having a carnival theme for my dds 4th birthday party - i was going to do hotdogs but maybe these instead...hmm....

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Natalka, I redid it just for you. Try 3/4 cup of both dry ingredients, 1/3 cup of water (with a few extra tablespoons at the ready in case it's a bit too dry) and since I love honey, I did about 1/4 cup.

I made 6 mini corndogs and have enough batter left over for at very least four, probably six, so those measurements would make a dozen (six full-size hotdogs).

Gracesmommy, these would be absolutely perfect for a carnival party. Easy for little hands and mouths!
    couponer2 likes this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gracesmommy View Post
    i've never had a corn dog but these look really good! i'm having a carnival theme for my dds 4th birthday party - i was going to do hotdogs but maybe these instead...hmm....
    You've NEVER had a corn dog I always thought that was a staple for anyone who has ever visited an exhibition, fair, circus or any other outdoor activity with games and rides

They are my all time favorite food on a stick, with the exception of kabobs of coarse. Your recipe sound easy, but I'm worried it may be to cakie (???) for the grandkids. I always like the crispness of a great corndog as do my grandchildren, and the snap when you bite that really good hotdog inside. I'll give it a try though and see what the grandkids think. They look absolutely devine!
    gracesmommy likes this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    82 (100%)

Looks yummy!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i dont like corndogs..... but might give the recipe a try for my daughter.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Looks so yummy, going to make this corndogs recipe and for sure kids will love these.

Thread Information