User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What helps eczema? Aside from prescription creams/prednizone....

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

So I'm not sure if everyone has heard of Argan Oil... I use it for my hair. I've also heard you can use it on your face as like an anti-aging thing? Anyway, I've been using it since September-ish last year. Since around the same time last year I have had absolutley horrible rashes on my hands to the point where I am in tears because they swell up, get huge bumps on them and are painful and itchy. The doctor gave me excema cream at the beginning of this year but it doesn't help. It's now spread in the past two weeks to my arms, chest and face. I will try to post a pic later if I can. I am in pain and can barely change a diaper let alone sleep, etc... I am calling the doctor in the morning but in the mean time I'm trying to think of things it can be, and the only thing I've really added/changed is that I started using Argan Oil. Does anyone know if this can cause rashes? I can't seem to find much about it online other than it helping rashes. Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Bronwen; Thu, Aug 2nd, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

We are women supporting women; moms helping moms. We are YOU. Join us today

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i don't know if it is known to cause rashes. the claims that it is a miracle anti-aging product aren't backed by any research, from what i understand.

if the rash is being caused by the argan oil, it could be that the oil is rancid, or that you are allergic, or that there is something mixed in the oil that you are allergic to, or something else altogether.

i would stop using the product altogether.

let us know what happens
    matrix82 likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

I will keep you posted - went to the doc's yesterday, and I'm being referred to an allergist. In the meantime I'm on Prednizone (spelling? lol)... hope it helps, hasn't yet. I've stopped using my Argan Oil and am so sad cause it was amazing on my hair, but it's the only thing I haven't stopped using since the rashes started. Process of elimination I guess.
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You should have stopped using the oil as soon as you noticed you were getting rashes. Some things don't go well on our body/skin. I use a lot of oils daily (coconut, grapeseed, almond oil) but it has all been a test to see what works on my skin and what doesn't. Some oils don't go with my skin and give it a burning sensation. What works wonders for one person might be a nightmare for another.
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Queen View Post
    You should have stopped using the oil as soon as you noticed you were getting rashes. Some things don't go well on our body/skin. I use a lot of oils daily (coconut, grapeseed, almond oil) but it has all been a test to see what works on my skin and what doesn't. Some oils don't go with my skin and give it a burning sensation. What works wonders for one person might be a nightmare for another.
    I didn't even think of it until this past month! I've tried eliminating everything else. It slipped my mind. It's been 3 days on the Prednizone and I'm still suffering, so much pain my husband is doing everything for me. It's not good when a mom is out of commission! I'm going to see an allergist and a dermatologist but who knows when I'll get in I think wait times can get long

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I hope you get better soon... Don't tell hubby right away tho ;-)
    seriously tho, get better soon!
    jessep13 and Bronwen like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Definitely stop using it and see if you can rule out what is causing it. I've never heard of a problem with argan oil but maybe there it something else in the mixture that you are allergic to. After I had my son, I found myself sensitive to certain perfumes, creams and soaps that I had no problem with before. I had a hand cream with eucalyptus oil in it which caused my hand to break out and it took 3 months to get rid of. (organic cocanut oil on it helped with the itchiness.) Hang in there.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Thanks everyone

This is my fifth day on Prednizone and it's better than it was but still stings like crazy. I can at least bend my fingers now! I am really curious to see what the cause is, and I'm a little worried that once I'm done the Prednizone (only on it for another 5 days) it will come back. I hate being on the stuff I have the appetite of an 18 year old boy!!

LOL!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

you could definitely be allergic! i had a rash like that (mostly on my fingers/hands, like itchy little bubbles) and it was due to a change in soap (coconut-based). did you change any other products? if you use argan on your hair, i would think you'd have irritated scalp and eyes/nose as well. quit using it for a couple months and see! the Rx shoudl help you too.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

So I finally got in to see a dermatologist a few weeks ago. He came me some kind of Rx, not sure what kind of cream it is. It's not doing much. He says it's severe chronic eczema... whatever that means lol. I'm assuming it means it's just gonna always be fairly hard to keep under control. If anyone has ANY advice or suggestions of what products to use for eczema lmk I will try anything at this point!

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I don't have "chronic" eczema, but from time to time I do and when it happens, sea salt and water helps.
    BC Gal likes this.
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    258 (100%)

Another chronic lifelong severe eczema sufferer here. It's different for everyone, so take it with a grain of salt:
    1. Lots of moisturizer: Glaxal base is only one I can use. I use the thick cream at night and the lotion during the day. It is cheapest at Costco, however you can buy it in the pharmacy in huge tubs (they compound lotions with it)
    2. Antihistamines: I take antihistamines frequently at key times of the years. Right now it's rained for a few days, so I will take one tonight. Mold!!! I use Aerius...
    3. Bleach or chlorine..I swim regularly and my dermatologist recommended bleach baths (yes it is weird) to keep skin bacteria lower. It's a cap of bleach to a tub of water..and bathe quickly and rinse.
    4. Clean surfaces before you put your arms on them..my arms are the worst..I realize it's because I rest my arms on the computer desk when I'm typing...so now I clean them before I type...much better!
    5. I use cortiscoid ointments (thicker then creams) every couple of days (or every day in a flareup). If I show no signs of infection I use an immune suppresent cream called Protopic once a month. Both these were prescribed by my dermatologist.
    6. Keep cool....sweating itches..so often during the summer I will sit with ice packs on me..to try and keep me from sweating..
    7. Think green! Green cleaners and green laundry detergents. Use only senstive unscented stuff! I detest scented deodrants. I used a "powder" scented one on vacation and ended up with eczemas breakouts on my underarms and bottom of my arms..grr.. Make sure you're using a green dish soap (skip the gloves).

I also do not eat a lot of dairy products. That is huge flareup for me!

Good luck...eczema stinks!
    jessep13 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (50%)

Hi
    http://www.rockymountainsoap.com/

They carry a Pumpkin Soap bar that is part of their Natural Eczema Relief line

Natural Eczema Relief

Pumpkin patch eczema soap with almond oil and unscented body butter are proven antidotes to flaky, irritated, itchy, weeping skin. FULLY GUARANTEED Reviews

Pumpkin Soap

A very mild soap for dry & eczema-prone skin.

CAD $4.99

Unscented Body Butter

Dry skin and eczema sucks big time. This is your secret weapon.

CAD $12.49

Eczema Relief

Combine our Pumpkin Patch Soap with Unscented Body Butter to relieve dry itchy eczema prone skin.

CAD $17.49

Unscented Body Butter (travel size)

A deeply moisturizing and protective skin care treatment for extreme dryness or eczema prone skin.

CAD $7.49

Works wonders on Acne too !

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Along with some of the other products here like Glaxal and Rocky Mountain Soap Company, I also love the Avene line at SDM/Rexall. They're really expensive, but most of them have testers so you can try them out and see how it reacts to your skin.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Wow thank you all for your help and suggestions. Bleach tho!? I would have thought to avoid stuff like that like the plague lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information