User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By lekate
  • 2 Post By lekate

Thread: How Retailers Manipulate You - article

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Here's an interesting article on MSN that I found on manipulation tactics that retailers use:

http://money.ca.msn.com/savings-debt...manipulate-you
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I've heard of that before, especially the buy x for Y$. At grocery stores and discounters unless the sale label says "in multiples" or "1 at Z$". It's safe to assume that each product will come up at half of Y. This is my experience (mostly at Loblaw stores and Metro).

Some people however, won't do the math and think they're getting a better deal than they are. "3 for 5$" is 1.67$ish each, if the item isn't normally much more than that you aren't saving huge.

And the other issue is for perishable products. I see produce all the time at Metro, 2/4$, 2/5$, 3/5$, but if you aren't going to use it all up then it's wasted money. The retailer wins, but you don't.

Bounce back coupons are a big one. I always make sure those 10$ off 50$ are applicable to clearance racks at stores because I'd like the option to get more bang for my buck. They're useful if you honestly have to get new clothes/replace parts of your wardrobe. Otherwise it's just a way for the retailer to get you back into the store 1-2 months later. Many people will go to look and see if anything catches their eye, and may buy when they really do not need to/have the money for it. It's best to stay away.

I know it's pretty boring not being able to buy pretty little things, but I'm saving my money for travel, who cares about the clothes I wear or whether I have new stuff constantly! I still have nice clothes, they just aren't new.
    lecale likes this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't buy on those marketing schemes of retailers. If think buying more than what I need is has just no sense at all but I would think otherwise if I have someone who would split the goods and the payment then both of us saves money.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 08:16 PM.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    I always do my grocery list in a spreadsheet with prices, quantities, coupons, and carry a calculator in my coupon wallet for deals I stumble across. It's too complicated to go into a grocery store unprepared. I try to do all my thinking at home on the computer before I go.

Last summer Zehrs tried discount pricing, e.g., ice cream 3/$10 or $5.99 each. Really! I got burned on another purchase - 2/$4 or $3.79 each and I bought 1 and howled later. It really turned me off the store for a bit but they stopped that nonsense pretty quickly. I think it erodes consumer trust when stores offer complicated deals that don't turn out as expected.

lekate you're right - once you are travelling you will be stuck with one pair of shoes and a few of your favourite items day after day. I travelled a fair bit and it's had a lifelong impact on the amount of clothes I see fit to keep.

The key thing about coupons and sales is you still need money to use them. If you really wanted to save you'd keep your bucks in your pocket!
    Exactly! It's 'did you save X or spend Y'. I picked up a dress recently, it was 7$ off, but I didn't really save 7$ so much as spend 12$. Ended up returning it since it fit so awkwardly....
    lecale and walkonby like this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Thread Information