User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By greencanuck

Thread: Planting a Potted Garden....Help?

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Hi everyone,
    I hope this is a good place for this thread...if not, please feel free to move it, mods!

I was looking for some advice. I've never planted a garden of my own, and want to plant some things this year. We just landscaped our yard, and there isnt a good spot for a garden this year, so i'm hoping to do some potted stuff. I want to know, what can i plant? I'm in Winnipeg, if that helps anyone's answers... I bought a potted tomato plant last year. it had a cpl tomatoes, but nothing too crazy. I want to buy some pots/planters and make a few rows. What's good in small-ish containers? I remember as a kid my grandma would have EVERYTHING...her garden was bigger than my current yard!
    My favorite things are corn, potatoes, peas, tomatoes, onions (green too? Can we plant those here? not a clue), cucumbers, maybe lettuce, um... I dont know. I know corn isnt gonna happen, obviously. and im pretty sure potatoes take a lot of space too, right? What's compact, but efficient?
    i should also point out that i have either full sun or one side of the house is about 1/2 sun 1/2 shade. There arent any really shady areas. I dont know if that factors in for veggies, but i know it is an issue for flowers...so i thought i'd throw it in there. Both sides of the house are far enough from the dogs that hopefully they won't eat my food, but there is a bunny that likes to live on the shady side...Can i bunny-proof my veggies? Will he even be interested in them?

Help please!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Have you tried the topsy turvies? Those may be a good solution to bunnies.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

I have done peppers and tomatoes in pots on my balcony without any problem at all in the past. I currently have four romaine lettuce heads in a pot on the deck and I've even put some in a planter on our fence to keep it away from the eager bunnies in the neighbourhood.

Potatoes you can grow in pretty much anything, including a bag full of dirt. I saw a blog post yesterday where the person had just loaded up farmer's market bushel baskets with dirt and seed potatoes and stuck them around the garden.

Good luck!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

The type of advice you are looking for should come from a very comprehensive source. (ie there is lots of your question(s) areas to cover)

To answer it fully and properly- a few pages of information from a gardening source would be a minimum beginning.

If you are determined to use containers, which have their own challenges and issues- looking up container gardening and beginner gardening from garden websites would be a great first step.

I hope you find what you need.
    AmberLab likes this.
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Have you tried the topsy turvies? Those may be a good solution to bunnies.
    I bought one of these at the dollar store a couple of weeks ago, but after some thought, I don't think I'm going to use it. When it's full of well-watered soil (never mind when you have tomatoes!), they're at least 60 pounds. I have a problem as to what I would hang it from that wouldn't break!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I bought one of these at the dollar store a couple of weeks ago, but after some thought, I don't think I'm going to use it. When it's full of well-watered soil (never mind when you have tomatoes!), they're at least 60 pounds. I have a problem as to what I would hang it from that wouldn't break!
    They dry out so fast that watering twice a day isn't enough.
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

This year I planted 4 pots of tomato, 3 cucumbers, strawberries, raspberries, lettuce, parsley all in pots. They are doing very well so far. I think you can pretty much plant anything you like in pots. You may have to get some vegetable trellises for your climbing veggies to climb.
    Bunnies love gardens you can get plastic fences at home depot to put around the plants, but if the bunnies are hungry enough, they'll find a way to get at them. They are amazing diggers!
    As far as sun goes, for vegetables the more the better. For example tomatoes will need about 6 hours + of sunshine per day.
    Give them some good soil and keep them watered well, be careful not to let them dry out on you.
    Trial and error is really what will help you decide what will work for you. Good luck! I love gardening too!
    Last edited by colourcube; Wed, May 23rd, 2012 at 10:14 AM.

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

I have a topsy turvey I bought at Giant Tiger but it came with it's own stand so I am going to try some tomatoes in it and see how it goes...

in other pots I have :corn / raddishes /cayenne / cilantro/ tomatoes..................some are doing well ..others not so much but it is my first time trying

Thread Information