User Tag List

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree390Likes

Thread: Bill C-78 "emergency" legislation

Somewhere between Sherbrooke and Montréal
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 2010ontest View Post
    Sara this is time to growth, be responsible and pay your bill too. Not just as individual people, but as a society.

our society live in too much luxury since too long time. This is time to stop it and return to the essential.

An african said to me long time ago: "You, in North America, are all rich, even the poor one is rich"

I didn't understand 15 years ago, what he would said by this, but now I totally agree with him and try to live more simple.

You think I'm not paying my bills?

I'm working 40 hours a week+40hours of school to pay them!!

I'm freaking poor and guess what: I'm not allowed to the Crédit pour la Solidarité!

I can't have any type of help unless I make a child or get married!!
    I pay for my bill! I do agree that fees have to rise. But this is violent.

Do you know what 325$ is for me? It's a full week of work.
    So it means that week, I don't eat.

Do you think I don't live simple? My last shopping trip was more than a year ago. I dropped my car because I didn't have the money to pay for it.
    My appartment is disgusting because I could not afford anything else. Coupons help FEED me. Not allowing me to buy more, they allowed me to EAT. I cut my hair myself. I don't have the cable and my phone is not a smartphone.
    It's not only about scholarship fees anymore, it's about the governement attitude.
    Last edited by saradouce; Thu, May 24th, 2012 at 08:58 AM.

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saradouce View Post

I'm freaking poor and guess what: I'm not allowed to the Crédit pour la Solidarité!

Do you think I don't live simple? My last shopping trip was more than a year ago. I dropped my car because I didn't have the money to pay for it.
    My appartment is disgusting because I could not afford anything else. Coupons help FEED me. Not allowing me to buy more, they allowed me to EAT. I cut my hair myself. I don't have the cable and my phone is not a smartphone.
    It's not only about scholarship fees anymore, it's about the governement attitude.
    We have nothing of that too and we are proud to pay our tuition bill this year again. Is my attitude not good?

maybe this could be an idea to merge those both thread:
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/296654-...thread-canada/
    Last edited by 2010ontest; Thu, May 24th, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
    AnnieP and erin9mmm like this.
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Sara, you're a lovely young lady & I enjoy reading your posts. But if things are so very bad for you, maybe you need to do what my friend's nieces are doing & take a year off, work 2 jobs & save your money. A lot of my friends did that & are none the worse for it.

In my case, I was paying roughly $4000/yr for university. My classes ran 9-5, M-F. I worked 2 jobs (4 in the summers, when I didn't have classes). All at minimum wage. I was lucky in that I lived with my parents, but I was expected to pay for the groceries (my Dad had been out of work, so we had tons of bills). I had a car, because my university was an hour away (nearly 3 hrs if I took the bus), so insurance was quite a large expense. Because I lived with my parents, I wasn't eligible for any sort of student loan, so I had to pay for everything myself.

Oh & this was 24 yrs ago, long before you were born, when I was lucky to get $5.hr.

& my life was fun. I saved pennies & managed to pay for some fun vacations. I went dancing every Fri & Sat in the summer (when I wasn't in school) & managed to graduate debt-free.

Never once did I expect the govt to pay for anything. I just do not understand these protestors.

abbasgirl, AnnieP, DaveP and 2 others like this.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Somewhere between Sherbrooke and Montréal
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    Sara, you're a lovely young lady & I enjoy reading your posts. But if things are so very bad for you, maybe you need to do what my friend's nieces are doing & take a year off, work 2 jobs & save your money. A lot of my friends did that & are none the worse for it.

In my case, I was paying roughly $4000/yr for university. My classes ran 9-5, M-F. I worked 2 jobs (4 in the summers, when I didn't have classes). All at minimum wage. I was lucky in that I lived with my parents, but I was expected to pay for the groceries (my Dad had been out of work, so we had tons of bills). I had a car, because my university was an hour away (nearly 3 hrs if I took the bus), so insurance was quite a large expense. Because I lived with my parents, I wasn't eligible for any sort of student loan, so I had to pay for everything myself.

Oh & this was 24 yrs ago, long before you were born, when I was lucky to get $5.hr.

& my life was fun. I saved pennies & managed to pay for some fun vacations. I went dancing every Fri & Sat in the summer (when I wasn't in school) & managed to graduate debt-free.

Never once did I expect the govt to pay for anything. I just do not understand these protestors.
    I did take a year off. Worse decision ever. My marks dropped after my return.

I'm not expecting the governement to pay for me (I was originally ''green''). I'm expecting them to listen to what I have to say!

Do you know that for the governement, a student should only spend 7$ per day on food?
    They consider that 9400$ (loans)+ 8000$ (what you are allowed to make while on loans)= living great.
    This is under the poverty line to me! My rent is 6360$ per year! Next to the third!!

In the majority of the europen countries, tuitions fees equals the one in Quebec right now. And noboby pipe a word because it is the way it always been!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Sure, who's going to pay for your retirement SRG?

Do this to students and you'll slap yourself later.
    not all students.

the troublemakers who are terrorizing. they are pathetic.

when i was a student, i did not take a penny from my parents, i did not take loans. i did not have an RESP.

i did live at home, but i paid for everything by working during the summer, and working part time during the school year. everything means tuition, books, supplies, food, bus passes, gas for the car, clothes etc.

being a student doesn't mean you can sit there and act like a child.

my retirement does not rely on the students of today. i think you are confused about some things. there are means of retiring that go above and beyond a measly pension. i am not going to limit myself solely to what the govt hands me. some ppl want to work hard to the best of their abilities, and not just sit on their behinds waiting for the govt to pay for their cheese and crackers, thankyouverymuch.
    Last edited by anisa; Thu, May 24th, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
    AnnieP, DaveP, erin9mmm and 2 others like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Me, ungrateful, petty?
    I you don't wanna pay taxes, then move.
    On the flipside people could say, if you don't wanna pay the tuition, then move. You'd probably have more money if you didn't have to pay all the taxes, unemployment insurance, healthcare and other crap that Quebec makes you pay (or at least makes me pay!). Just sayin'.

Bill 101 is not banning English (look, I'm speaking English, watching TLC, working in English). It puts French at first plan.

And it's normal. My grand-father was bullied by his foreman because he didn't speak English. All banners were english.
    We are francophone, it is part of us. Bill 101 is only protecting this unique part of Canada.
    It is not normal to subjugate people for not speaking a certain language. Bill 101 bans people from attending English school. You won't find many places in the world that has specific laws saying you can't use a certain language. I loved seeing giant billboards for McDonalds written only in Spanish in New York. In any English speaking country, if I go to a Chinese area, I'm not going to get snooty if they don't speak English. If I go to a Greek area and people only speak Greek, I don't care. Speak what you want, but don't force people to speak or not speak languages. I am not a Francophone. If it means being welfare dependent, then I want no part of it. Bill 101 is holding the province back.

Protesters are always pointing out that countries like Norway and Sweden provide free education. Do they mention that you have to pass English exams to qualify? I'm sure their English levels are much higher than "the horse is white" type English that in high schools here. How is Quebec meant to grow if people can't even speak the world language?

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pudi View Post

It is not normal to subjugate people for not speaking a certain language. Bill 101 bans people from attending English school.
    ...no it doesn't.
    It's certain groups, like my family. Immigrants to Qc, even then there are exemptions...thanks, Oh Immigration Lawyer who never pointed out the stayin on a Works Visa=English Schooling as we would have been temp visitors.

You won't find many places in the world that has specific laws saying you can't use a certain language. I loved seeing giant billboards for McDonalds written only in Spanish in New York. In any English speaking country, if I go to a Chinese area, I'm not going to get snooty if they don't speak English. If I go to a Greek area and people only speak Greek, I don't care. Speak what you want, but don't force people to speak or not speak languages. I am not a Francophone. If it means being welfare dependent, then I want no part of it. Bill 101 is holding the province back.
    There's a freaking huge backlash in the States about people not speaking English as their first language. In a couple of months, with the Presidental election coming up, it will be a talking point again.

If you live in Qc and choose not to learn or speak French, then I have little sympathy for me. I knew when we moved here, sooner or later I'd have to learn French. ATM, it's later. If I want a job here, I'm going to have to bust my boobs to become competant enough to function in the work-place.

Mr Penguin gets away without speaking much French as his job requires dealing with USAmericans most of the time.

Protesters are always pointing out that countries like Norway and Sweden provide free education. Do they mention that you have to pass English exams to qualify? I'm sure their English levels are much higher than "the horse is white" type English that in high schools here. How is Quebec meant to grow if people can't even speak the world language?
    Most universities in UK require a second language, generally at the level of "Le cheval est blanc" or "El caballo es blanca"or "گھڑ سفید ہے".

I get sh!t from both the Anglo and Franco communities. I'm either pandering to the Francophones for educating in French or I'm not pandering enough as my French isn't very good.
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Thu, May 24th, 2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: speeling defeeted me
    Tbites likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    ...no it doesn't.
    It's certain groups, like my family. Immigrants to Qc, even then there are exemptions...thanks, Oh Immigration Lawyer who never pointed out the stayin on a Works Visa=English Schooling as we would have been temp visitors.
    Nope! gonna disagree on that one. Law 101regulate's the"access to" English school in elementary and secondary.The main goal is for "integrating into the francophone majority of Quebec all immigrants,regardless of their background or their languages​​,and to limit access to the English schools in Quebec. All young Quebecers,whose father or mother has not received his primary education in English in Quebec, must attend French school.
    Last edited by Kalmel; Thu, May 24th, 2012 at 11:57 PM.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Oh geez, that paragraph dont make much sense..lol!!! sorry, i used the translator page and i guess that didnt go so well.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Cite 1

A family from Mexico is fighting to keep its children in an English school, after they were forced into French education when the father applied for permanent residency.
    Ernesto Morales has been in Canada on a temporary work visa for the past 11 years with his family. His three children were exempt from the Bill 101 law preventing foreign students from attending English schools, because the family was in the province under a temporary work permit.Morales recently applied for Canadian permanent residency status and received a Quebec selection certificate.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

cite 2

If one parent attended an English Elementary School in Quebec before August 1977, the parents must clearly indicate the elementary schools attended, as well as provide the child's Long Version Birth Certificate showing the parents' names.
    If one parent attended an English Elementary School in Canada, they should provide a letter (on official school letter head) of proof of majority of primary education in English (100%) or percentage of English and percentage of French if applicable. (Parents must have a minimum of four years, except in Ontario, which must have five years).
    eta
    If the child is attending or has attended Elementary or Secondary schools in English in Canada, parents should provide a letter (on official school letter head) of majority of primary or secondary education in English or percentage in English and percentage in French, if applicable.
    If the child has a sibling who is attending or has attended the majority of English elementary or secondary school in Canada, parents should provide a letter (on official school letter head) of majority of primary or secondary education in English or percentage in English and percentage in French, if applicable.
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Fri, May 25th, 2012 at 12:18 AM. Reason: extra text
    Kalmel likes this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Sara, you think that you and your generation are the only ones who have faced hardship to get an education? This is the sense of "oooh, poor me" that upsets people. Your generation is owed nothing, not a free education, not free rent, nothing. We have all paid our dues in one way or another. I worked a full-time job as a cashier for 6 years while I went to school full-time. I crammed in 40 hours of work into 4 days and went to school the other 3 days with my days starting at 8:30 am and finishing at 11:00 p.m. I had to give up a lot too. I had no social life.

And once you get a degree, you need to go back to school to expand your knowledge base because you need to have more employable skills. It doesn't end, but was it worth the sacrifice? Absolutely!
    anisa, Natalka, DaveP and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    cite 2

eta
    well if i knew in advanced you were gonna go in details i would of used a better translator..LOL!!!

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Tbites likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    Interesting point from your link:

Quebec has had low tuition rates for a half century. That means almost every living adult in the province, having already been afforded a plum goodie, is now wagging his finger at the first generation that will be asked to pay the tab. So who really is entitled here?
    I can see where they're coming from.

I left Quebec almost 5 years ago, so I don't have a dog in this fight. But still, violence and property damage and interfering with people going about their daily lives isn't a great way to make your point. Tends to make others more likely to oppose you than support you.
    Last edited by DaveP; Fri, May 25th, 2012 at 01:34 AM.
    Kalmel likes this.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information