User Tag List

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree390Likes

Thread: Bill C-78 "emergency" legislation

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Even the government of Vladimir Putin has harsh words for the new laws
    . Foreign Ministry Ombudsman Konstantin Dolgov said in a statement that Montrealers' rights to protest have been reduced and that police should show more restraint toward what have been mostly peaceful protesters.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Dave as I've stated time and time again here: I don't agree with violence and those partaking of such acts most definitely should be arrested and charged. My issue is suppressing or taking away to right to protest for those doing so peacefully and trying to muzzle freedom of speech by imposing fines to those advertising or promoting a protest. And that's exactly what Bill 78 is doing.
    Last edited by TaraF; Fri, May 25th, 2012 at 02:29 AM.

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Cite 1 Quebec: Mexican teenager exempt from Bill 101 and educated in English for 10 years must continue education in French
    " ....“You’re the new kid on the last year of high school. It’s not something you want to be doing — and it’s in a different language then I’m used to talking,” he said...."

While I don't agree with the limits that bill 101 imposes on one's educaction what I find amazing in this story is that these teenagers (whose brains are still at the sponge stage for learning) have been here for 10 years and haven't learned any French ?!?

Don't wish to hijack the thread further, I think a Bill 101 discussion would deserve its own thread.
    Last edited by Tbites; Fri, May 25th, 2012 at 07:15 AM.

Friends don't let friends trade at max value

MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tbites View Post
    " ....“You’re the new kid on the last year of high school. It’s not something you want to be doing — and it’s in a different language then I’m used to talking,” he said...."

While I don't agree with the limits that bill 101 imposes on one's educaction what I find amazing in this story is that these teenagers (whose brains are still at the sponge stage for learning) have been here for 10 years and haven't learned any French ?!?

Don't wish to hijack the thread further, I think a Bill 101 discussion would deserve its own thread.
    The difference between being taught in French full time and being taught French in Immersion classes are too entirely different beasts. I've seen the texts Penguinette 1 Anglophone friends have and they are no way as complicated as her's.

When we were looking at high schools for Penguinette 1, several of them expressed concern that her French may not be up to scratch even though she was educated solely in French. As it happened, she passed both entrance exams for the schools we wanted for her.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

THIS is what I just love to read" - It's spreading out from Montreal. Love.

People took up the percussive protest Thursday night in several towns and cities including Sorel, Longueuil, Chambly, Repentigny, Trois-Rivieres and even in Abitibi — several hundred kilometres away from the hot spot of Montreal.

I also like reading unbiased journalism that says over 500 mostly peaceful protesters were arrested the other night in Montreal. Yes we've reached a time in Canada where peaceful protesting has been made illegal. SHAME! And mention of the fact that it's not only "spoiled brats" as people here and elsewhere are claiming them to be taking the streets. Note, children, famillies, parents, and the elderly.

Thursday’s protest in Montreal was immediately declared illegal by police, who said it violated a municipal bylaw because they hadn’t been informed of the route. They allowed it to continue as long as it remained peaceful.
    Although there was a massive police presence throughout the evening with the roar of a provincial police helicopter competing with the banging of the pots, there was little if any tension reported between demonstrators and police.
    People tapped the pots as they walked, the sounds mingling with shouts and chants. Others leaned out of car windows to bang their pans and one protester smacked a pot right in front of one police officer who looked on indifferently.
    Usually the nightly street demonstrations, which have gone on for a month, have a couple of vigorous drummers to speed them along their route. At the very least, someone clangs a cow bell.
    But in the last few days, the pots-and-pans protest — dubbed the casseroles by observers — have acted like an alarm clock for the regular evening march, sounding at 8 p.m. on the nose in advance of the march’s start.
    While thousands, including children, their parents, students and the elderly, packed the streets in support, the Twitterverse exploded with reactions and observations.
    “Spotted a man in an Armani suit banging a pot,” tweeted Christina Stimpson on one of Thursday’s participants. “Feel the love people.”
    Another man rolled a small barbecue through the streets of Montreal, banging the lid.
    The joviality was a far cry from late Wednesday when police decided to shut down a largely peaceful evening march after they said projectiles were thrown and criminal acts were committed.
    Squads of Montreal and Quebec provincial police encircled demonstrators on a downtown street, not allowing them to get away. More than 500 people were arrested and face charges under municipal bylaws and the Criminal Code.

Article is Here
    Last edited by TaraF; Fri, May 25th, 2012 at 04:56 PM.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    I also like reading unbiased journalism that says over 500 mostly peaceful protesters were arrested the other night in Montreal. Yes we've reached a time in Canada where peaceful protesting has been made illegal. SHAME! And mention of the fact that it's not only "spoiled brats" as people here and elsewhere are claiming them to be taking the streets. Note, children, famillies, parents, and the elderly.

The joviality was a far cry from late Wednesday when police decided to shut down a largely peaceful evening march after they said projectiles were thrown and criminal acts were committed.
    Squads of Montreal and Quebec provincial police encircled demonstrators on a downtown street, not allowing them to get away. More than 500 people were arrested and face charges under municipal bylaws and the Criminal Code.
    But, Tara, this is the problem. Even the unbiased media says that it wasn`t 100% peaceful. I just don`t understand why any decent human being would continue protesting with thugs around them.

During the G20, I lost respect for the police, the protestors & especially the media (big tough commentators screaming like little girls about the prospect of protestors coming within a mile of their locked truck where they are safely doing a remote broadcast, argh). The police, well, it goes without question how little actual policing was done & how much politicking. Blech.

As for the protestors, my friend's Ex is a photographer who was covering the protest. He took shots of the black block thugs hiding amongst families & among members of a marching band - you would think at least *one* peaceful protestor would have said something to someone.

I'm sorry, but until I see at least one example of a peaceful protestor doing something (anything) to quell these thugs, I cannot in good conscience support any protest.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Andit,

Is it 100% peaceful? Probably not, because sadly when you have a large bunch of people gather you will get idiots whose only objective is to cause crap and it's unfortunate and you'll get people breaking off from the large peaceful demonstration to jog around the corner and start causing crap. The black bloc as everyone knows is a pathetic anarchist group who infiltrates any/all protests and demonstrations to simply cause crap and they and ANYONE else that is caught doing so should be arrested on spot and tossed in a nice cool cell. However, if you *general statement* are going to paint any/all protests/demonstrations as bad because there are some idiots that have nothing better to do than to cause crap, than most taking place will be viewed that way.

Again, my issue is with the pathetic law infringing on the rights of those to peacefully protest and speak out, that is a violation of our rights and shouldn't be tolerated by anyone. I'm glad the international media is picking this up and showing how pathetic Canada has become under the Governments of this Country. It's pretty bad when the UN comes to Canada and says we have Civil rights issues, but at least the International media is portraying our Government as the thugs they are as they beat on and arrest the innocent protesters. It's pathetic.
    Last edited by TaraF; Fri, May 25th, 2012 at 11:29 PM.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Unless the international media is living in it 24/7 for the last 30 days they have no clue what they are talking about. Protestors and rioters have paralyzed the city for 30 days, night after night. Bill 78 doesn't take away their freedom of speech at all, get this out of your head please. It's an attempt to have a better structure so that we get less violence and that Montreal is not a constant an hostage.

Violent or not, for over 4 hours everynight taxi drivers can't do their job, store owners lose business, people can't sleep nor go out. So what about OUR freedom?????

Edit to add: I needed the police last weekend, granted it was not a life or death situation but a very uncomfortable one nonetheless, I had to wait 3 hours for the police to show up cause they were stuck with rioters!
    Last edited by Arielmac; Sat, May 26th, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
    anisa, DaveP and erin9mmm like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielmac View Post
    Protestors and rioters have paralyzed the city for 30 days, night after night. Bill 78 doesn't take away their freedom of speech at all, get this out of your head please.
    I quoted this as this is the only thing I'm focusing on in this thread as that's why the thread was started. Actual physical protests and any violence and/or rioting that has happened aside: By imposing fines ranging from $1000-$125,000 for those promoting, advertising or otherwise encouraging a protest, that's trying to limit someones speech. You don't have to be living in Montreal and witnessing anything to realize that by definition that's limiting your freedom of speech. To say otherwise is willful ignorance.

Merician Loving Nuck! kparker1786's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Unless the international media is living in it 24/7 for the last 30 days they have no clue what they are talking about. Protestors and rioters have paralyzed the city for 30 days, night after night. Bill 78 doesn't take away their freedom of speech at all, get this out of your head please. It's an attempt to have a better structure so that we get less violence and that Montreal is not a constant an hostage.

Violent or not, for over 4 hours everynight taxi drivers can't do their job, store owners lose business, people can't sleep nor go out. So what about OUR freedom?????

Edit to add: I needed the police last weekend, granted it was not a life or death situation but a very uncomfortable one nonetheless, I had to wait 3 hours for the police to show up cause they were stuck with rioters!

You're making no sense. How isn't it infringing on a Canadian's freedom of speech? Please enlighten with specific details will ya?

Also regarding the police. It takes them 4-5 hours to get here and I'm in ONTARIO. So no offence, but someone got hit by a car here recently and the cops took their time to get here. You were uncomfortable, which is probably why they took their time because they realized it's not life or death.
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

maybe people of both side have to remember that:

"liberty of one finish were liberty of the other start"
    Arielmac likes this.
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

kparker1876, I agree, you couldn't get a cop here on a good day in less than 4 hrs anyways lol However having said that, I'm sorry those in Montreal are being inconvenienced but keep in mind that your rights don't trump the rights of those protesting either.

Quote Originally Posted by 2010ontest View Post
    maybe people of both side have to remember that:

"liberty of one finish were liberty of the other start"

There is a difference between violence which is what everyone here seems to be stuck on which has NOTHING to do with Bill 78 and actual peaceful protesting which is what Bill 78 is in regards to. The right to assembly freely and speak freely is afforded to us under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and to limit that in any way goes against our rights as Canadians and should not be tolerated by anyone. And anyone supporting Bill 78 should be very wary because it's only going downhill from there.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

BBC is running reports from downtown Montreal. And having seen them, it's not some-one sitting in Toronto talking over a CBC/CTV film.

However that said, there are far more important other news stories happening in the world like the Syria govt bombing their own people, the Eurozone crisis, Afgan war, that stories like this get pushed into the background.

LIkewise the riots across the UK last year were barely covered here in Canada.
    Arielmac likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kparker1786 View Post
    You're making no sense. How isn't it infringing on a Canadian's freedom of speech? Please enlighten with specific details will ya?

Also regarding the police. It takes them 4-5 hours to get here and I'm in ONTARIO. So no offence, but someone got hit by a car here recently and the cops took their time to get here. You were uncomfortable, which is probably why they took their time because they realized it's not life or death.

They are allowed to protest but they must give the itinerary to the cops, which btw is a city by-law in many places including Toronto. Bill 78 is not telling them to shut up, it's telling them to get organized and calm the riots. Fines are applied if the don't follow those 3 rules: Give the itinary 8 hours in advance, give date, time and how long it will last and mode of transportation. Why is that infringing freedom of speech? Don't gimme bs about spontaneity cause they have planned to protest every single night. They already PLANNED it.

We never have such a long time waiting for the police here, usually. Unless there is something major happening and if someone got hit by a car, they will be here in 5 minutes. So no offense but before comparing your police service to ours, you may wanna take into consideration how the service was before the riots here.
    Last edited by Arielmac; Sat, May 26th, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
    DH666 and erin9mmm like this.

Merician Loving Nuck! kparker1786's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They are allowed to protest but they must give the itinerary to the cops, which btw is a city by-law in many places including Toronto. Bill 78 is not telling them to shut up, it's telling them to get organized and calm the riots. Fines are applied if the don't follow those 3 rules: Give the itinary 8 hours in advance, give date, time and how long it will last and mode of transportation. Why is that infringing freedom of speech? Don't gimme bs about spontaneity cause they have planned to protest every single night. They already PLANNED it.

We never have such a long time waiting for the police here, usually. Unless there is something major happening and if someone got hit by a car, they will be here in 5 minutes. So no offense but before comparing your police service to ours, you may wanna take into consideration how the service was before the riots here.

I'm sorry but your post just made me laugh right out loud. Police don't really care if someone is yelling at someone else, if it's life or death, it'd be different for sure, because that's their JOB. It's not their job to get people out of an "uncomfortable" situation. And I can compare, I grew up in a small town where there are drunks all the time, and they usually take forever. While I was in Montreal a year or so ago, I got some rude police people talking about how I wasn't listening to them. Excuse me? I have a hearing loss, so obviously I don't hear like everyone else. (My friend told me what they were saying..in English) It seems like some of the police in Montreal like their egos stroked. Kinda like the PM...

As for the protests, yet they aren't allowed more then 50 people?! And people aren't allowed to publish about it or announce it? Did you NOT read TaraF's post? Obviously not. Please do. She's obviously pointing something out and is doing so in an intelligent manner.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information