User Tag List

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Patty Smyth
  • 3 Post By avoncallingu
  • 2 Post By Lynn49

Thread: ADVICE PLEASE, SCers? Working with Alliance Against Modern Slavery...

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Lumi; Fri, Jun 29th, 2012 at 12:21 PM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

When approaching a company I think above all you need legitimate looking documentation when asking for donations. Letters from the organization, documented proof of your charitable status. The letter should also be specific whether you are asking for money or goods or both. You will need your tax exemption number also.

It's not easy getting donations, I did it for years and even though you may be dedicated be prepared for a lot of rejection. Times are tough but somtimes companies are actually looking for causes to hop on board with. You never know. Good luck.
    Lynn49 and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I agree with Patty- Where do you live, Lumi? - local sources may help but also, larger companies. I find, it's actually a good time to ask as many companies set their "charitable giving" once per year.

Make sure you communicate by letter - use the Association's Letterhead - or create one for your particular "Chapter" - ie. The Alliance Against Modern Slavery - Bancroft Chapter.

Your initial paragraphs explaining your alliance are compelling - you could use that. Then a paragraph asking for what you want - is it money? is it access to send information to the company's employees? is it actual goods.

Then think of companies that produce things for women - personal hygiene - or companies that sell services to women - First Choice Hair Cutters for example. The Body Shop is very outreaching as well as Starbucks.

See if you can get an interview with a local or better-yet regional or national news program - but make sure you are WELL UP on the purpose, methods, and statistics around your cause.

Write an article for a magazine - such as "O Canada" or "Chatelaine" or "Canadian Living" and submit it.

Get prepared with a legitimate place where people can send money or goods (or coupons).

Every product we use, as women, has an address on it - send letters to all of them.

Get in touch with a celebrity - an Olympic athelete - a singer - Jan Arden for example - an actress.

And don't forget about schools - especially High Schools or Senior Public Schools - these are the people who are being targetted. Contact the principal and ask for time to speak to their student body - and ask them to become members or start their own "Chapter" - you'd be surprised how effective student fund raisers can be.

Good luck and thank-you for your dedication and determination to make a difference!

PS - is there a web-site you can refer people to?
    Patty Smyth, Lynn49 and DaveP like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Thank you both for your suggestions! I am in the GTA.
    Yes, there is a website: http://allianceagainstmodernslavery.org/

I will make sure to use all of your suggestions when writing the letter/trying to reach companies.

The Body Shop is an excellent idea!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Lumi, having done a lot of fundraising over the years, I have to say that Patty and Avon have given you expert advice, so there's nothing much I can add, except to stress the importance of including your charity number on all correspondence, if it's not on the letterhead and be specific about what you're asking for. Money or "in kind" may also work well for you..I recall receiving a huge box full of BonnyBell products to use in gift bags for our walkathon gals...evidently lots of companies don't mind dumping their old stock, particularly when they can get a charitable receipt for the full value of their products instead of reducing the price and bothering with sales merchandise.
    Keep in touch if you ever need advice...

Good luck!!
    Last edited by Lynn49; Tue, Jun 26th, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
    avoncallingu and DaveP like this.

Thread Information