User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 5 myths about everyday food

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Wed, Jan 21st, 2015 at 08:43 AM.

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    wonderful post lekate! I saw that agave sweetener in the health food store and just shook my head??
    I use Stevia to sweeten things ( IF I actually need a sweetner, most times I don't), I do buy both the syrup kind with a syringe dropper top, and the powder packets form.
    Great thread ! Didn't know about the agave either, but then I don't drink juice/fruit beverages. I have a major sweet tooth but if I'm going to have sugar, I'd much rather indulge in a pie then consume it in something mundane like juice/fruit beverages.

I've been using Stevia extract for many many years as well, and it used to only be available online or in Natural Food stores. One thing about Stevia though... like all products that become more mainstream, the quality has to be scrutinized. A lot of the powder packets (and some bulk tubs) contain fillers as rice (flour/powder?) and/or maltodextrin. The maltodextrin really cracks me up
    walkonby likes this.

Friends don't let friends trade at max value

MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tbites View Post
    Great thread ! Didn't know about the agave either, but then I don't drink juice/fruit beverages. I have a major sweet tooth but if I'm going to have sugar, I'd much rather indulge in a pie then consume it in something mundane like juice/fruit beverages.

I've been using Stevia extract for many many years as well, and it used to only be available online or in Natural Food stores. One thing about Stevia though... like all products that become more mainstream, the quality has to be scrutinized. A lot of the powder packets (and some bulk tubs) contain fillers as rice (flour/powder?) and/or maltodextrin. The maltodextrin really cracks me up

Yes! I have noticed that as well. I did tell the people I recommended Stevia to that to make sure the ingredients say Stevia rebaudiana leaves, in the first line. I buy Organic drops now, one bottle goes a long way.
    Like when I make the cranberry sauce for our turkey breast slices. I boil 1 cup of water and normally they would have you add 1 full cup of white sugar, but I toss in about 10 drops of the Stevia liquid ( sometimes more if the berries are especially tart) into the water, then add the whole bag of frozen cranberries, once it boils, I shut off the heat, and it thickens just fine.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

ok ill guess ill be looking around. And yes shes almost four and has had her top front four teeth removed due to rot..... and has a few cavities as well. Not too mention that she is a bit olverweight. Its really quite sad. Ive tried telling her how my daughters doctor said no juice due to the sugar content. And her response was that my daughter will hate me if i dont give her sugar. just too sad.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jessep13 View Post
    ok ill guess ill be looking around. And yes shes almost four and has had her top front four teeth removed due to rot..... and has a few cavities as well. Not too mention that she is a bit olverweight. Its really quite sad. Ive tried telling her how my daughters doctor said no juice due to the sugar content. And her response was that my daughter will hate me if i dont give her sugar. just too sad.
    Unfortunately they get addicted to it!
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Where is the myth about meat being bad for you?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

ive heard of red meat not being the greatest for you......but im not entirely sure if thats really true or not,
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 08:48 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I love to eat fruit instead of having it's juice....

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

lecale, i was actually reading not too long ago on Dr. Weil's site that recent findings are that saturated fat is not as bad as we have been told.

i don't remember the exact article i read this in, but this link shows the info.

it goes against what we have always been told! i read it and was like huh??

obviously high fat contents isn't ideal, but maybe fat in a saturated form isn't entirely evil.

the thing about red meat that has always made me think is that there is so much blood in it, and perhaps that isn't too great for us.

who knows!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 03:51 PM.
    muggos0101 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sounds good thanks for posting it here.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

There's a lot of smoke and mirror games being played by the food industry. It's getting as scary as the pharmaceutical industry.

It's up to us all to be better educated about where our food comes from, who is funding the studies, and the government should be distancing itself from these darn lobbyists. We are getting as bad as the u.s. for that.
    lekate and lecale like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    There's a lot of smoke and mirror games being played by the food industry. It's getting as scary as the pharmaceutical industry.

It's up to us all to be better educated about where our food comes from, who is funding the studies, and the government should be distancing itself from these darn lobbyists. We are getting as bad as the u.s. for that.
    Take # 2 for example:

http://www.jacn.org/content/23/suppl_6/596S.full

Financial Disclosure: Dr. Kritchevsky serves on the Egg Nutrition Council’s Scientific Advisory Board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information