User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Grandson may have pneumonia....

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I'm on pins and needles...our DD and hubby are in emerg here...the clinic doc said they need to get an x-ray taken today, so they've already been there for several hours and still haven't seen a doctor! What a lousy system we have!
    I'm so scared...one side of his lung may be " compromised" whatever that means! I've had it, so has our DD...our grandson has had a cold for a while but it didn't seem too bad...thank God she took him in anyway!

Has someone's child had this? I need to know he'll be okay......!

If you can spare a prayer or good wishes, he could use them.........I can't go to sleep until I hear from them...it's going to be a long night...we'll be home with him tomorrow.....
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

my daughter was 1.5 when she had it. it was treated with antibiotics, it went away and then came back and was treated with stronger antibiotics.

it was then that she went on asthma meds, and has been monitored ever since.

thankfully, there are ways that are affective to treat pneumonia. hopefully you'll get some answers soon.

is she at a walk-in or at emerg??
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

sorry, i didn't mean to make it sound like pneumonia leads to asthma... i just realized i may have sounded like that!

in my daughter's case, she is in fact asthmatic. she happened to have pneumonia at that age, and i suppose it was her tendency to get asthma that caused her lungs to react the way they did. i'm really not 100% about the link.

regardless, it is very treatable, and the most important thing is that your little guy is getting the xray that will tell them for sure what is happening.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Seems that pneumonia is a lot more common these days in youngsters then it was way back when.Dont forget there are different types of pneumonia. My youngest had it when he was 9 months old and again when he was 2. Apparently once they have it they are more succeptible. What happened the first time was we all got sick but his never cleared up, it had turned into pneumonia. I think the most traumatizing part of the whole thing was the chest xray, he screamed and screamed. When drs hear fluid in the lungs they generally order the chest xray. He was treated with antibiotics and a puffer, and was completely better within a few weeks.

Anisa, I think there is a link to asthma though because I was told to keep an eye on him for breathing troubles in the future and he may develop asthma.
    Last edited by Sally888; Mon, Jun 4th, 2012 at 11:12 PM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thank you, Anisa, Sally..you both brought tears to my eyes...for responding, and for your reassurance that this is treatable with antibiotics at this age...He has allergies, I have asthma, so perhaps it's not surprising that the poor little guy may have other issues...you didn't scare me, Anisa, Hon...you may have confirmed my thoughts.
    thank you both so much...he's such a blessing, such a good little guy, it' sad to think of him being ill...I'm going to text her again...it's been an hour, I hope someone's seen them.
    Anisa, it was a clinic doctor who told them to get an x-ray this evening...now night!!

Thank you both!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    Seems that pneumonia is a lot more common these days in youngsters then it was way back when.Dont forget there are different types of pneumonia. My youngest had it when he was 9 months old and again when he was 2. Apparently once they have it they are more succeptible. What happened the first time was we all got sick but his never cleared up, it had turned into pneumonia. I think the most traumatizing part of the whole thing was the chest xray, he screamed and screamed. When drs hear fluid in the lungs they generally order the chest xray. He was treated with antibiotics and a puffer, and was completely better within a few weeks.

Anisa, I think there is a link to asthma though because I was told to keep an eye on him for breathing troubles in the future and he may develop asthma.
    I remember my daughter getting that chest x-ray when she was about 6 months old. I'm not sure who cried more, her or me. It was so traumatic.

Lyn,

My daughter had pneumonia a couple of years ago (at age 16) and her immune system hasn't been the same since. A person used to be able to fight these illnesses on their own, scares me that we have to turn to antibiotics so frequently. Two of mine just finished a course of them a few weeks ago. I hope your grandson gets the proper diagnosis and can get some treatment right away.
    DiamondLil likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Lynn, they make you wait it's horrid. especially with little ones.

if his blood O2 levels were at all low, they would have him on an O2 mask right away, if he's in the hospital.

with kids and respiratory issues, they act fast.

i hope they don't have too long of a night. i've had to do it so many times, i hate it.

hope you hear something soon!
    DiamondLil likes this.
    R

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

No little ones here, so I don't have much advice for you, but I'll send lots of prayers & good thoughts your way.

My best friend's 3 nieces all have asthma & had dealt with pneumonia over the years (they live on a horse farm - 2 of the 3 are competitive riders & are world champions in their particular event). The kids are young adults now & all perfectly healthy.
    Lynn49 likes this.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I can't give anyone reps!

Our DD just texted...just antibiotics and a puffer, THEN a second opinion: x-rays!
    so...we wait..

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

She just texted...antibiotics and puffers only....chest is clear!!

Bless you all for being here with me....I'm in tears...thank you, thank you...
    Now to bed...he's home from daycare tomorrow, so we'll be with the tyke...

THANK YOU ALL!!!
    anisa, Jezebel, DiamondLil and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

glad to hear the outcome Lynn

get a good night's rest now
    R

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For what it's worth Lynn, it would be really great if you could get him some quality probiotics once your granson is finished his antibiotics. As many know, antibiotics also kill all the healthy bacteria in your body, so you're a walking target for every germ out there. Probiotics will replace the "good stuff". You should find it in the refrigerated section of your health store. The staff will be able to help you find it. Worth it's weight in gold. . . .
    walkonby and heatherbassoon like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    She just texted...antibiotics and puffers only....chest is clear!!

Bless you all for being here with me....I'm in tears...thank you, thank you...
    Now to bed...he's home from daycare tomorrow, so we'll be with the tyke...

THANK YOU ALL!!!
    ((hugs)) Lynn. It's been awhile but when my very first was born 17 years back she was hospitalized 3 times in the first 3 years with pneumonia. Scary. But the docs know what they're doing now (then too) - they're in good hands.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    For what it's worth Lynn, it would be really great if you could get him some quality probiotics once your granson is finished his antibiotics. As many know, antibiotics also kill all the healthy bacteria in your body, so you're a walking target for every germ out there. Probiotics will replace the "good stuff". You should find it in the refrigerated section of your health store. The staff will be able to help you find it. Worth it's weight in gold. . . .
    Plus they're yummy as hell in yogourt!

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Lynn, hope your little Grandson is feeling better, take care of Everyone!
    Lynn49 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information