• 1 Post By blueeyetea
  • 2 Post By blueeyetea
  • 1 Post By RebeccaRYoung
  • 1 Post By blueeyetea

Thread: Binge Buying Emergency Questions - Part 1

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

While reading a follow-up book to Your Money or Your Life, I came across these questions that go beyond the basic “do I need it or do I love it” questions.

What’s your take on these questions, and do you think they’d have an impact if you asked yourself these questions.

There are fourteen questions in all. Here are the first four.

1 - Is this purchase in alignment with my values and goals?

2 - Do I really want and need it?

3 - Do I have one already?

4 - Do I have something at home that will serve the same purpose?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

2 - Do I really want and need it?
    4 - Do I have something at hoem that will serve the same purpose.

An iPad is one of those items that I've been lusting after since the day they came out. Trying to figure out if I need it is a resounding no because I can't even come up with three reasons justifying the purchase. Anything I can think I'd use it for, the following devices have it covered: the iPod Touch, a laptop and kindle (my husband's).

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I don't really understand the first question -does this align with my values and goals. The other three make sense. When I go shopping I usually know the purpose of the trip (e.g. grocery shopping is for buying food that I need). I also am aware when I'm shopping for no purpose and just want to look. I think self-awareness is an important part of shopping, and knowing what you need and what you don't need.
    jasperandchar likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't think that: do I "want" it and "need" belong in the same sentence. I think that distinguishing between the "need" and "want" is what helps us to shop responsibly.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaRYoung View Post
    I don't really understand the first question -does this align with my values and goals.
    Well, if one of your goals is to protect the environment, buying an over packaged box of cereal goes against that goal.
    If one of your goals is to have enough money to quit your job, you'll pick eating at home instead of $100 for a restaurant meal.
    If one of your values is non-violence, a game teaching kids to share aligns with that goal.

Measuring the cost of a purchase against a goal or value will eventually wake you up to the type of expense that's aren't necessary in your life.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Retiree View Post
    I don't think that: do I "want" it and "need" belong in the same sentence. I think that distinguishing between the "need" and "want" is what helps us to shop responsibly.
    I actually think it's not enough to limit yourself to between I need and I want, mainly because it's easy to convince myself that I need something.

One thing I have in my house is cable TV. I enjoy it and I use it, but do I need it? No, because it's pure entertainment. Could I replace it with something else? I could probably replace Cable TV with other forms of entertainment, but how much would that cost? I don't know yet.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I guess I feel like I wouldn't even consider purchasing an over packaged box of cereal if my goal was to protect the environment. One of my goals is to help ensure the quality of life for animals, so I only purchase free range eggs. I don't even consider purchasing eggs that aren't free range. Since I wouldn't even consider shopping for those types of things, I don't really see how it's an important thing to consider when shopping. I guess if you do consider shopping for items that don't align with your personal goals, then I would wonder if they really are your goals and values. To me wanting to purchase items that don't mesh with who you are makes me think you should re-evaluate your personal goals/values.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaRYoung View Post
    I guess if you do consider shopping for items that don't align with your personal goals, then I would wonder if they really are your goals and values. To me wanting to purchase items that don't mesh with who you are makes me think you should re-evaluate your personal goals/values.
    Well, it goes without saying that purchasing items that don't mesh with your goals makes you think you should re-evaluate your personal goals/values. That's the whole point of asking yourself the question. A lot of people automatically buy a product without asking themselves why they want it.

Considering it was still in the news today that Canadians are in debt at the rate of $1.60 per dollar earned, it's obvious that something else is influencing these purchases. How many of these people had a goal of being in debt?

Thread Information