User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Cross-border shopping this weekend? Duty and tax?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by NICKER27 View Post
    I shop every week and get Gas in the US. I find it hard to justify $30-40 more here for a tank of gas and 2.49 for a gallon of Chocolate Milk compaired to a 4L here that costs upwards of $8. Bread is .49 or $1.00. I can get a pound of butter for $1.50. I wish that I could shop more in Canada and I know a lot of people disagree with it, but I care about my personal econmic situation too. I can easily save $150 a week on groceries. For a one income family that is huge. Id rather stay at home with my family and shop in US than work outside of the home and shop in Canada. I know a lot of people feel very strongly about cross boarder shopping, its just that prices are so far apart that it makes a world of difference to our bottom line each month. I hope things will come more into line one day.

I totally agree with you. I'm not saying I don't want to support canadian economy, if I had a choice, i'm behind canadian economy 100%, but honestly, a lot of us just working to make ends meat, the price does make a difference. We're a single income family too, I have to try to save a penny however I can.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    It all depends on the border guards mood really. Silly I know but I've had to pay tax on a $30 pair of shoes but waved through with over $500 in a half day. Odd yes!

However I do believe they are raising the limits soon? It was announced when they said the penny was nixed. Either that or make friends with a native, no limits.

However if I feel like shopping a few times a year cross border I don't think I'm hurting the economy here, if so maybe the retailers here should carry more selection and lower prices. Until that happens i'm stateside.

I don't usually buy a lot of stuff there anyway, I don't have a big budget to work with.
    I love the kids clothes seletion there, with same amount of money, I can either buy clothes for one child for one season, or I buy for all three of them. That's how I look at it.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SavenRaven View Post
    I'm sure we get all that money back in Canada when all the 19 year old kids from the US cross the border to drink.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information