User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Cross-border shopping this weekend? Duty and tax?

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

It's totally luck, imo!
    I've never been pulled over and we always buy stuff. No alcohol or cigarettes though.
    There was one time the boarder guy didn't even ask for our passports, smiled and let us through.. lol
    babyluck likes this.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

This is my own opinion only and I dont have anything against people that shop over the border but ever since I saw a documentary about what cross border shopping is doing for canadian economy I make sure that I support Canada 100% and never give a red cent to another countrys government unless of course i was on vacation.
    babyluck likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I shop every week and get Gas in the US. I find it hard to justify $30-40 more here for a tank of gas and 2.49 for a gallon of Chocolate Milk compaired to a 4L here that costs upwards of $8. Bread is .49 or $1.00. I can get a pound of butter for $1.50. I wish that I could shop more in Canada and I know a lot of people disagree with it, but I care about my personal econmic situation too. I can easily save $150 a week on groceries. For a one income family that is huge. Id rather stay at home with my family and shop in US than work outside of the home and shop in Canada. I know a lot of people feel very strongly about cross boarder shopping, its just that prices are so far apart that it makes a world of difference to our bottom line each month. I hope things will come more into line one day.
    babyluck likes this.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

It all depends on the border guards mood really. Silly I know but I've had to pay tax on a $30 pair of shoes but waved through with over $500 in a half day. Odd yes!

However I do believe they are raising the limits soon? It was announced when they said the penny was nixed. Either that or make friends with a native, no limits.

However if I feel like shopping a few times a year cross border I don't think I'm hurting the economy here, if so maybe the retailers here should carry more selection and lower prices. Until that happens i'm stateside.
    Last edited by Sally888; Wed, Jun 6th, 2012 at 11:24 PM.
    babyluck likes this.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by glamorousgirl View Post
    I didn't think there was duty on kids clothes, I have never paid duty on kids clothes, and I have paid a lot in duty. Did they know that were children's?
    they can charge duty depending where they are located. Thats why the country of origin is even listed when you order from gymboree etc.
    babyluck likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

unfortunatly its not only you thats cross border shopping its alot of people, so it does hurt our economy 2 times a year times thousands = making alot of money for america)

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by melodyagwu View Post
    unfortunatly its not only you thats cross border shopping its alot of people, so it does hurt our economy 2 times a year times thousands = making alot of money for america)

I'm sure we get all that money back in Canada when all the 19 year old kids from the US cross the border to drink.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by NICKER27 View Post
    I really think it is just luck of the draw somtimes. Ive had $500 worth of clothing/toys/house items and not had to pay, but been pulled in for $40. Sorry you had to pay
    Ya, it all depends on the officer's mood in my opinion, my heart sank when I pulled up that day, I can just tell he wasn't very happy,

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    Yeah, it can be luck of the draw. $65 seems pretty high for that amount, though... When I've had to pay, it's usually just been the tax. they must have been really careful to get you with duties. Were shoes part of that amount? I think shoes can have a duty of something like 30%.

yes, i did have a pair of shoes, but it was only adidas for $50, I don't know how they calculate the duty. but i over heard the couple beside me, they only had $180 worth of clothing, and had to pay the same amount.
    I don't know if it's getting better now that they have $200 exemption, i don't want to try my luck anytime soon.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Since there were so many people paying duty the same time as you, sounds like they were trying to meet a quota.
    Kinda mean, I'm thinking -- just before the June 1 increase in exemption to $200/24 hrs and $800/48 hrs.

That's what we thought, get as many ppl as they could before they increase the limit. it was bad timing after all.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by glamorousgirl View Post
    I didn't think there was duty on kids clothes, I have never paid duty on kids clothes, and I have paid a lot in duty. Did they know that were children's?

I don't think I mentioned they were kids clothes, cause I didn't know there was no duty on kids clothes, he asked me to show my receipts, which i did, it had carter's and osh kosh right on top.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SavenRaven View Post
    I am always prepared to pay the 17% duty on clothing and 13% taxes when shopping in the USA. I just add 30% to the price of the item and if its still a good deal, I buy it.

It all depends on the Individual customs officer. I've shopped several times and have never been charged at the border. Once I was going to pick up 2 flower girl dresses and a pair of shoes I had ordered from Davids Bridal, was in the US for only 25mins total and when I showed my receipt (over $650) at the border, the officer just said "have a good night" and waved us through.

That's a good idea to add 30% to the price before buying, I will keep that in mind for next time. I have never spent that much though, normally around 100-150, which i tell them honestly every time coming back, never had a problem.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nicolthepickle View Post
    Ouch, that's too bad when you weren't expecting it. I think it depends on who and what.
    That was quite an "ouch", lol, didn't expect it at all.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by janetta View Post
    It's totally luck, imo!
    I've never been pulled over and we always buy stuff. No alcohol or cigarettes though.
    There was one time the boarder guy didn't even ask for our passports, smiled and let us through.. lol
    wow, that must be nice, lol.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

My dh is working in the US right now. He always gets alcohol and buys anything we need from there Never had a problem

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information