Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mcandlish
  • 2 Post By NICKER27
  • 1 Post By Aimz

Thread: Grrr Zellers

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I went with my Mama to one of the Zellers that is closing out, thought we would take a peek around. Only thing that caught my eye was the jewellery @ 50%. I picked up a necklace and a ring.

The necklace was reg $7 and the ring was reg $4.

I get to the til and the cashier scans the necklace, came up for $3.50 (yup!), but the ring wouldn't scan. I asked could she manually input it for $2. She says nope. Calls jewellery, they say call cosmetics. She calls cosmetics, nobody calls back. Finally the manager comes walking up and says to her "just scan the necklace" and continues on her way outside for a break I assume.

So she scans the necklace again and gives me my total. At this point I went O_O No....

I was super nice, but said I wasn't paying $3.50 for the ring. It said right on it, $4 on the back, so it should be $2. Another Zellers employee walks by, she asks him and he says "OH that's the MANUFACTURES PRICE!!" and leaves. She agrees, and I continued to disagree. No. It says $4 on it, I want it for $2.

So she continues to try and page the manager for another 5 minutes. Another shopper comes to the til and put her things up and the cashier says "OH WELL" and manually over-rides the price to $2. I pay and thank her and leave.

But... really??? was all I could think. She said she couldn't over ride it, then the manufactures price? Why would they put product out with manufacturers price? Makes no sense to me.

I was kind and calm the whole time, and yes I waited 10 mins to save $1.50 but I think the last year of couponing has taught me to stand my ground with cashiers. I used to just say "oh it's fine" and leave.
    This thread is currently associated with: Zellers
    hollyquaiscer likes this.
    Wanna make some spare cash? Check out Clixsense: http://www.clixsense.com/?5382267

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

good for you!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    125 (100%)

Yay ! Good for you for keeping your ground !

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

zellers needs to hurry up and get rid or their dusty, old, tired, over priced merchandise and make room for target, infact target could not get here fast enough for me, if it was up to me i would open up the recieving door and fling all zellers merchandise out the back door while moving target in the front.......GOOD BYE ZELLERS

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In my opinion, (most) Zellers employees have stopped caring in the past few years. You can tell by how they are run, how they look, and how they treat their customers. Your situation doesn't surprise me.
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

and oh yah they would need to send a caravan of fast taxis to zip those horribly rude zellers employees to the unemployment line, because I surely do not need to see zellers stale employees in fresh target.....Good Bye Zellers

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I'm happy that you stood your ground, Ive had to do that in a few of my recent liquidation shops, but I just try and keep in mind that these people are losing their jobs. A lot of the ladies have been there for 20+ years and are going to have a hard time finding new jobs. I just try to remember that Im sure they have a lot on their minds. I would find it hard to be friendly and helpful if I was worried about losing my house or feeding my kids. I get the impression that a lot of the processes and procedures have changed since the liquidation began. Im sure that these people are just trying to make sure they do exactly as told, Im sure they dont want to risk their severence pay or anything like that. I hope that everyone is able to find some new work quickly.
    walkonby and amandalee76 like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by NICKER27 View Post
    I'm happy that you stood your ground, Ive had to do that in a few of my recent liquidation shops, but I just try and keep in mind that these people are losing their jobs. A lot of the ladies have been there for 20+ years and are going to have a hard time finding new jobs. I just try to remember that Im sure they have a lot on their minds. I would find it hard to be friendly and helpful if I was worried about losing my house or feeding my kids. I get the impression that a lot of the processes and procedures have changed since the liquidation began. Im sure that these people are just trying to make sure they do exactly as told, Im sure they dont want to risk their severence pay or anything like that. I hope that everyone is able to find some new work quickly.
    A lot of them are being given first pick of jobs at the Targets that will take over. I don't know what will happen to the select few "elite" who managed o get into a Zellers Union.
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Im happy to hear that most are going to have an option. Sadly, not the case with our Zellers as Target is not taking over the location. Still, I doubt it will be with the same pay and benefits as they had before. Its always sad to hear about people loosing their jobs!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    23 (100%)

I have always had problem with Zellers SAs. Last week DH bought one pack of pampers and presented a $2.00 coupon by P&G. SA tried to scan it and said sorry we can't take that. And guess what DH agreed to her and came home. I saw the receipt and DH said she was not taking it so I came back. I called the store told them the whole story was transferred to a Manager who said bring in the receipt and coupon today. I had to travel 15 min bus ride back to their store and Customer Service lady although agreed to what i said but I was surprised to see her attitude. No hello, no Sorry no apologies and nothing......I said hello, thank you and bye but she replied to nothing. I understand SA made a mistake but the hassle I had to face and had to waste an hour just because of their mistake. Least they could do was to apologise. I ain't going back there again

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I hate to say it because I'm sure this can be interpreted badly, but I am kind of glad that Target will supposedly have a new staff, rather than simply taking on Zellers employees. I don't like to generalize, but this is not an exception - the majority of Zellers employees that I have come into contact with have terrible customer service skills, and this was even prior to Target's takeover bid.

Yes, it is hard to paste a smile on your face and go about your business when you're worried about being unemployed soon. But these are hard times - I'm willing to bet the majority of people you come into contact with on a daily basis are battling their own demons, but they don't show it, because part of the customer service industry is not letting your personal issues get in the way of carrying out your duties.
    Last edited by Aimz; Thu, Jun 7th, 2012 at 01:49 AM.
    GoddessDigi likes this.

[*A I M Z*]

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I bought a product from a liquidation store last month, checked it over in store for an expiry date as I had never bought it before and didn't know if it expired. Didn't see one, so I was quite happy. Brought it home, took off the packaging...and low in behold, and expiry date! From November of 2011. They had put the security sticker right over top of the expiry date so you couldn't see it. I was so mad and disgusted. And because of the liquidation policy I couldn't get my money back.

Aimz, I have to agree with you. I have had good customer service at Zellers (never great), but overall it has been poor.

I remember I bought a comforter at Zellers that is was in a $19 bin. It rang in higher, so I mentioned it was in the bin, along with quite a few others of the same comforter. She told me it must be a mistake and it shouldn't have been in the bin. I told her that was okay then, and I didn't want it. She said fine and put it in for the $19 price. While I'm happy that she rang it in at the lower price, she acted like she was so disgusted with me for taking up her time that I left feeling kind of upset.
    I did not argue with her, I wasn't rude, and I made sure to pose my comments in more of a questioning tone, so as not to imply that it was ringing in wrong, just that there may be a mistake and she could call someone from bedding to check.

And at least she was somewhat helpful. I don't think you should have a guaranteed job with a new company just because you work there. It definitely sucks to be out of work, but you should be given a job on your abilities, not just because you worked at a poorly managed company for a few years.

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

Good for you to stand your ground.

Thread Information