Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: June 2012 Budget Challenge

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Abby5 View Post
    I need to stay away from Costco!!!!
    That is why I won't allow myself to buy a membership. Its too easy to go crazy and spend way too much money. I have enough trouble staying within my grocery budget at regular stores.
    AmberLab, Valiant and aemi like this.

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

I'm fortunate to live in a border town so much of my shopping for dairy is done state-side...hate to say it, but wherever my dollar stretches furthest is where I need to shop. Would love to buy Cdn & support our dairy farmers, but the sticker prices are 3 times that of the USA.
    I don't buy Timmies much at all, don't eat out much either...don't smoke, drink very little & make a decent wage...I'm looking for "out of the box" ways to save money because all the "regular" savings tips I follow....hmmm....maybe will try making my own jam with the berries this year...all tips welcome!
    Valiant likes this.
    Click here under "about me" to view my wish list.
    Visit Swagbucks.com to earn freebies! Click my referral link to get started!

Tangerine bank GIVES YOU $25 cold hard cash for opening an account!
    Use my Orange Key 14220607S1 & it's $25 for me too! NO FEE BANKING!!

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Hi Lucy!
    You sound a lot like us I think all of us that hang out here love those 'out of the box' savings tips. It's funny (and kind of sad) all these money-saving tip books etc. often have the same tips- and they are often only applicable for the 'average middle class' family (whatever that means!)
    Making jam is easy peasy- especially if you make freezer jam, then you don't have to worry about making sure it's canned properly. Plus freezer jam can be frozen in any old jar/plastic container, no need to get mason jars (although once you put the word out that you are looking for canning jars, you will be swamped!) A great site is pickyourown. org to get you started. If you are very adventurous glean the fruit yourself and save the cost. I pick wild black raspberries for jam/jelly, wild leeks, wild asparagus, and found a nice old abandoned apple tree that's not too high to pick from. Look into taking a course about wild edibles-

Valiant- I love how you found yarrow growing in your front yard and replanted! That is too cool.

As for costco, I totally agree. Better to stay out entirely than risk it (we never finish those giant muffins, and yet, we are always end up getting them!). And of course, I just found out a shiny new costco may be built within seven minutes of us soon.. craziness.
    ssbean likes this.
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I started beading as a new hobby. Expensive! Maybe I should get my bike fixed and go back to that....
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Another week is about to start for us. This week work going to be crazy, we are having a audit. My goal is to not buy any take out.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I've been slacking off on the budget for the past few months, thankfully I'm still good with money. But it's time to tighten up those bootstraps and get it going. I'd really like to actually buy a house within the next few years, and that's not going to happen if I don't get my stuff together!

So, with no further ado:

Bills: paid as per rate
    Groceries: /400$
    Gas: /150$
    Smokes: /60$
    Eating out: /150$

More categories to be added as I think of them. Geez I'm out of habit...

Goals for this month:

-earn 40$ from non-regular work
    -stay within grocery and eating out budget
    -try new meals at least once a week
    -stretch the meat further, since it's so pricy
    -finish the knitting/crocheting projects I've started
    Valiant likes this.
    ~*~I take proofreading, writing, and lettering commissions~*~
    ~*~Send me a private message for details!~*~

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Abby5 View Post
    Soooo true! I went to buy hemp hearts $30 and came out with$250!!
    I feel your pain! Happens to me ALL the time!
    I only have a membership because work pays for it.
    Abby5 likes this.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Here's my June Budget - better late than never!

Rent: Paid per rate
    Propane:414.83/414.83 - paid
    Water: 66$,
    Phone/Internet: 72$ paid
    Cable: 37$ - paid
    VIsas:- minimum paid
    Student Loan: Paid per rate
    Petrol:

Groceries: 136.44/400.00
    Seasonal Produce stock-up:

Coupons Used: $4
    SDM points:
    'Other' Money Found/Made:
    Misc expenses:

Goals:
    Less grocery shopping, but continue to build stockpile
    trade more coupons
    eat locally and from garden- put up produce for next winter

To Do List:
    organize paperwork, get passport
    clean out freezer
    create master canning list
    pick strawberries and make jam and strawberry lemonade concentrate
    make soft cheese/yogurt
    Last edited by sweetproserpina; Wed, Jun 20th, 2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: updating
    Valiant and aemi like this.
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

sweetproserpina - I would love to know how you make the strawberry lemonade concentrate. Sounds yummy!
    If you are interested in Houseseats here is my referal link:
    http://www.houseseats.ca/[email protected]

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

My goal this month is to try to find cheaper snacks and meals for the kids! Last month, I spent almost $1000 on consumables. Looking now at the last five months to see if this is normal. Thats eating at home too. With three toddlers, we don't venture to restaurants...
    A lot of money spent on salami and bocconcini in May month.... my son is very picky but will eat these. My girls are a lot easier to feed.
    Nexty January I am going to order some big salami's that i can slice at home...better yet ask my husband to make it.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Went fishing!!!
    What a day it was! Got up early, and packed my walker with my rod, tackle box, lunch, raincoat. Got to the river just as the clouds were rolling in and rain was briefly spattering. Easily found a nice fishing spot to set up, and just whiled away the time with the complete enjoyment of a truly beautiful river setting, hawks soaring overhead, Canada Goose couple out walking with their brood of goslings, other avid fisherpersons nearby intent on their fishing. Tried a few good spots but no bites, but did find lots of good hooks, sinkers, leaders near the rocks...people must be getting slack again. A couple of young fellows were catching and releasing, so it was lots of fun to trade fishing banter, and admire their catches. Later on, ate a cold lunch of water & buttered bun. Then found a really good fishing spot, and caught my first pike this year; caught 2 more (1 a walleye) that got away, but by then, the other 2 young guys nearby were catching and giving away their fish to me, so I accepted 2 pike from them. One of them then caught a monstrous snapping turtle about 3 feet long, then released it after photos. My best fishhook caught on a rock, so I lost hook, sinker and bobber, but one of the young guys came along and freed it for me, and returned it. They kept catching fish and offering them to me, but I declined them, because my limit for pike is 4 and I wanted to catch my final one (which I didn't, but that's ok). The folks fishing across the river weren't catching, but we were in the spot right below the dam which is a fish-favourite. Made it home after 8 1/2 hours of a truly wonderful day. Sore feet from trying to walk around the rocks on the shoreline; sunburn on hands and face which I suffered from that night and next day...used many applications of cold green tea bags which relieved the pain and swelling and redness. Fish are now filleted and frozen in my freezer, and the fish offal dug deep in my garden next to my roses and lilies.

Got the rest of my transplants into the garden yesterday...was delayed by a week of rain and lightning storms.
    My garden is looking lovely, and I really enjoy each moment I spent in it, whether working or having my cuppa.
    Next things to do are: more weeding, pruning, mow lawns again, cage supports, painting patio table & chairs...maybe the odd transplant or two. I have a small green tomato on my Early Girl tomato plant, and lots of blossoms, which I pollenate by gently shaking the blossom with the end of my broom handle. Bees are out pollenating my raspberries and Valiant grapevine.

Work will finish next week, so will be busy getting everything together for that. Then will have some time to myself again, with many projects to work on.

Have kept my budget down, but this month has been a time for needed replenishment of my stockpile, so have spent on that again...no regrets, just the inevitable expenses.

Loved reading through all your posts. Have a great week!
    Last edited by Valiant; Sat, Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
    ( Valiant, the valley-ant )

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Look what the wind blew in!

My garden is a mixture of plants and features, some of which I paid for and others which came free.
    Here's a list of what the wind blew in, or birds brought, or I planted for free:
    - yarrow
    - violets
    - Pembina Plum tree
    - bluebells
    - Jolly Jump-Ups
    - Sweet William
    - hollyhocks
    - white lily (Happy Thoughts)
    - purple ground-cover
    - Shasta daisy
    - clover
    - Hens n' Chicks
    - White Prairie Rose (found it on a nature walk on the hills, and took a small cutting which rooted successfully)
    - Lady fern
    - iris
    ( Valiant, the valley-ant )

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

What a great fishing story. Nice meeting the young guys who were nice enough to give you some of their catch.
    Valiant, hollyquaiscer and Abby5 like this.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I never made this before but it sounds super yummy- it's from one of my canning books.. (Bernardin)

Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate

6 cups hulled strawberries
    4 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
    6 cups sugar

In a food processor (or blender) puree strawberries in batches.

Transfer strawberry puree to a stainless steel saucepan over medium-high heat. DO NOT BOIL. Add lemon juice and sugar and stir to combine.

Using a candy thermometer to measure (dip it halfway in the mixture and don't let it touch the pan) heat to 190 degrees Fahrenheit. Test it every few minutes, it will get there quickly. Remove from heat.
    Ladle mixture into jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim, center lid on jar and add screw band.
    Place jars in canner. Jars should be covered by an inch of water. Bring to a boil and process for 15 minutes.

Don't forget to put the lid on!

Remove lid after processing and let jars sit for 5 minutes before removing.

Remove jars, cool and store.

To reconstitute: Add equal amounts of concentrate and water (or seltzer or tonic water etc.)

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Valiant- your fishing trip sounds wonderful! Wish I liked to eat fish, but I do like fishing, it's so calm to just sit and watch the water..

Did some good shopping today- picked up 3 packs of cheese strings, half price, with butter/cheese/yogurt coupons with them. Also had my first 'start the car' moment, when I picked up 5 bbq sauces at walmart for free! Craziness.

The veg garden is looking really good- we're already eating peas, and the tomatoes already have some fruit. The only veg that isn't doing much is the lettuce, think I'll have to replant!
    Valiant and hollyquaiscer like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information