User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: My town has been declared a disaster zone.......

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

can we not get the government/army red cross etc involved at this point?
    gameprogirl likes this.

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Tudorchick, I hope our army comes to their aid, sandbagging where they can....and I wish this was MORE covered in the NEWS!
    As for my cousin's daughter/hubby/two little girls, apparently he was awakened in the early morning for some reason, went to the basement and the toilet was spewing sewage so fast....he ran back upstairs and by 5am they were all at their Dad's home, but the basement was flooded, they lost all their important documents, everything that was stored down there...and they're not allowed, of course, to get back into the house for anything...How on earth can a house that's been through that be reclaimed? It seems that the basement would have to be completely replaced....oh, those poor kids...they really didn't need anything else to go wrong....

I'm glued to the news broadcasts, but they're so sporadic and repetitious!!!
    gameprogirl likes this.

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I started a new thread, if anyone can help out, I put up a list of items needed for families in the other thread. Thanks so much everyone!
    walkonby likes this.
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

That was good of you to organize something for donations gpg. Very glad you seem fine and are going to run supplies over to help out. I am curious about MrsB07, I am certain she is from Thunder Bay as well. I think she was on sc recently, but what day did that disaster happen, the 30th of May?
    If you know that she is fine let me know.
    gameprogirl likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I just heard about this now. What an awful thing to have happen! Lynn- I'm so sorry to hear about your relatives. Prayers for all affected!
    I hope the right authorities can get their act together fast! Mennonite Relief Centre and the Salvation Army are usually there in a time of crisis.
    gameprogirl and Lynn49 like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Merician Loving Nuck! kparker1786's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a lot of friends in Tbay, but only a few that I keep in touch with. Apparently one of them in the East End of Tbay are without water. I feel so bad for them, the daughter(16) has MS and the mom has colon problems. Breaks my heart. Praying for everyone up there! Stay safe!!

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

We heard you guys got absolutely rocked (rained buckets here too, but not nearly what you endured)! Our tiny town has been thinking of you! ((hugs))

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Thank you everyone. The update is they think the sewage plant might be down for weeks. Everyone in the east end of town cant even go home, no power, no water, and most of the homes are too hazardous to enter due to all the feces backed up into the houses. We are trying to not use water since our only plant is down. People have been sleeping in their cars in the church parking lot. They have no food or water, everyone is trying to help but this is a bad situation that has no immediate fix. Companies have donated some stuff, but it's a lot of people that have been displaced and many are families on low income. The hotels are booked solid.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    That was good of you to organize something for donations gpg. Very glad you seem fine and are going to run supplies over to help out. I am curious about MrsB07, I am certain she is from Thunder Bay as well. I think she was on sc recently, but what day did that disaster happen, the 30th of May?
    If you know that she is fine let me know.
    Everyone is fine, there were no deaths and no injuries. This happened Sunday night, people woke up to water seeping through their bedroom walls, it's all homes that were damaged, thank God, no injuries but many people are homeless and lost everything.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Yes, my cousin's daughter and her hubby, 2 little girls and they aren't even allowed to go back to their home to retrieve things...it's been deemed a complete disaster....I guess McLaughlin street is in the east end of town? They're the sweetest young couple....damn. But thank God they have other relatives that can help care for them....still....how awful for so many dear people....
    gameprogirl likes this.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Its in the East End. That was the worst hit because the sewage plant and the floodway is down there too and it's the lowest point in town, I think they said about 400 homes.
    I grew up in the East End so I know a lot of the people who have flooding.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thank you, GPG...I just heard another cousin's home there (some, not badly: Ryerson Cr), and their son's home (worse than theirs, but I don't know where it is) both got hit with sewage....how horrible for everyone there. Does anyone know what can be done with a home when sewage has gone into a basement? I'm imaging digging the whole thing out and rebuilding, but I'm not sure if that's true.....

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I think some can be restored but some have so much damage and the sewage still keeps coming, I know there are homes that are going to get bulldozed they are so damaged. People have been asked to not go home because of disease but some older folks are refusing to leave. There isn't a spare hotel room and many people are taking in strangers or sleeping in their cars. We are expecting more rain in the next couple days too. I'm heading down tomm with some supplies. Just our own citizens have raised $250,000 so far. It's a step in the right direction.
    Lynn49 and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I think my cousin's daughter's and their family home on McLaughlin may be one of those disaster homes...they're not allowed to go back for anything...some families just seem to get too much bad luck, you know? As I said, thank God we have a large family there that can help them.....I wish I was there to help, but I have tons of weddings this summer...and besides I feel I'd just be in the way. I read your newspaper on line and everyone is being so generous with their time and goods, and it's so heartwarming. You never think this will happen to someone you know.... Thank you for helping them out, Hon.....blessings to all...Lynn
    gameprogirl likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information