User Tag List

Page 1 of 149 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
Like Tree5643Likes

Thread: What's blooming in your yard?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Please feel free to post what you have blooming, along with any tips for growing the plant.

Here are a few things that are blooming right now:
    Trollius aka Globeflower - this blooms in Spring and comes in yellow or orange. It likes moist conditions.
    Shooting Star aka dodecatheon - can you see how it got its name? It blooms in Spring and the foliage dies down in the summer.
    Fern Leaf Peony - I love this shade of red, which is hard to capture with a camera. A very hardy plant, and expensive to buy at a nursery.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    This thread is currently associated with: Spring Shoes

Trading Score
    205 (100%)

What's blooming in my yard? Weeds LOL

Beautiful flowers! Mine are all perennials and they are just starting to bloom now. My white peonys are looking very lovely
    22hicks and Shwa Girl like this.
    I am looking for quick trades for my pre-surgery stock up!

Updated TL/WL HERE

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I have a fernleaf peony too! Mine has never bloomed though and this is it's second year. How long did it take yours to first bloom?

I know what you mean about the fernleaf being expensive. When I told my mom the cost, she told her friend, who also thought it outrageous, and invited me to have the pick of whatever I wanted out of her peony garden. It's nice to find someone who understands about the amazing red colour.

Soon, I'll be tracking down an amazing pink to keep it company in the garden.
    22hicks likes this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

chives, asparagus, and some greens all growing and yummy right now, the apple trees, strawberries, blueberries, plums, and lilacs are all in bloom....smells amazing around here!
    www.facebook.com/perduemassageclinic good things come to those who like my page

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I have a fernleaf peony too! Mine has never bloomed though and this is it's second year. How long did it take yours to first bloom?

I know what you mean about the fernleaf being expensive. When I told my mom the cost, she told her friend, who also thought it outrageous, and invited me to have the pick of whatever I wanted out of her peony garden. It's nice to find someone who understands about the amazing red colour.

Soon, I'll be tracking down an amazing pink to keep it company in the garden.
    A nursery nearby had the one gallon pots for $79.99!

Once you get a bloom or two, I find that the next year, the number doubles and so on. Here is the wide shot:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I've got roses that are getting ready to bloom. And some white puffy flower that grows on a bush-like thing and gets really big. I'm not an avid enough gardener to even know the name of it, but I can tell you that it normally blooms in July so we are really early here this year. lol. All that warm weather we had in March, I guess.

I can't offer any tips for gardening because I know squat. I tend to plant things that grow themselves and don't require special interventions...like hostas...and bulbs I can stick in the ground that keep coming back year after year on their own because I can't be trusted enough to nurture high maintenance plants. So I tend to stick with "easy"....like lilies, tulips, glads etc.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    A nursery nearby had the one gallon pots for $79.99!

Once you get a bloom or two, I find that the next year, the number doubles and so on. Here is the wide shot:
    That's a good discount compared to the nurseries here! They retail for $89.99 at the least expensive!

Mine underwent some stress as well, after being leapt on by the neighbourhood cat from a six foot fence.

Are the blooms large? I see 30 or 31 blooms there! That must be a six or seven year old plant!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

all i got is dog poop blooming in my yard

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ninna View Post
    I've got roses that are getting ready to bloom. And some white puffy flower that grows on a bush-like thing and gets really big. I'm not an avid enough gardener to even know the name of it, but I can tell you that it normally blooms in July so we are really early here this year. lol. All that warm weather we had in March, I guess.

I can't offer any tips for gardening because I know squat. I tend to plant things that grow themselves and don't require special interventions...like hostas...and bulbs I can stick in the ground that keep coming back year after year on their own because I can't be trusted enough to nurture high maintenance plants. So I tend to stick with "easy"....like lilies, tulips, glads etc.
    ninna,
    I'm all for making it low maintenance, especially if you don't love gardening. You can always post your pictures here of your mystery plant and one of us can try to identify it for you.

sweetsparrow,
    The blooms aren't as large as my regular peonies, but I like that...the blooms manage to stay upright rather than drag on the ground like my other ones. The fernleaf isn't in full bloom yet, mostly buds...it should look even better in a few days.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I have a fabulous pink clematis that is in bloom right now, I'll try to take a pic of it tomorrow. I have about seven clematis vines, but this is probably the oldest one and I think I simply planted it in place that it likes and it just took off. It's been there for about seven years I think.

I *think* this is one that I bought at Costco as just the root; its roots are in the shade, and the leaves are all over the outside rail of my deck and catch plenty of sun although they're on the northeastern side of the house, not in the sun the whole day.

I also am trying some vegetables in containers on my deck this year. That's on the northern side, but it's sheltered and in sun for most of the day. I have two tomato plants (two different ones, both plum varieties), a 'cherry bomb' pepper that's pretty big and already has several peppers on it, a small green pepper I haven't planted yet, and a planter on the deck rail with rosemary and basil. Outside of the herbs, my hope is to have enough veggies to make salsa for the first time! The herbs, especially the basil, I want to mix that into the mozzarella cheese I recently learned to make!

I also have a flower, a perennial that has gotten bigger over the years, but I forget what it is! I'll take a pic of that too for you 'experts' to figure out!

Couponing Princess!
    Trading Score
    284 (100%)

Last edited by Sunraven; Sun, Jun 3rd, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Add me on twitter and I'll add you back! Just mention you are from SC!

@hoppmichelle

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

My rhodos had just started to flower when we got hit by several days of wind and rain..

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    My rhodos had just started to flower when we got hit by several days of wind and rain..
    Darth,
    That happens to my peonies when they are just ready to bloom. I think it's some sort of gardening version of Murphy's Law...I know if I could grow rhodos in my zone, it would happen to me too.
    Darth Penguin likes this.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    The blooms aren't as large as my regular peonies, but I like that...the blooms manage to stay upright rather than drag on the ground like my other ones. The fernleaf isn't in full bloom yet, mostly buds...it should look even better in a few days.
    How large do they get at full size? At the nursery, the gardener said the blooms were huge. He must have been looking at them really close up....

I bought the practically dry root plant. It was the end of season and the plant looked dried out and dead. Hopefully it'll bloom next year! I have a before picture and am waiting for an after picture.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Here's my clematis, it's a bit pinker than it appears in the pic and it's REALLY big.

Name:  2012-06-04 07.30.05.jpg
Views: 3187
Size:  66.4 KB

And here is my mystery plant, what is this?

Name:  2012-06-04 07.30.15.jpg
Views: 3270
Size:  58.9 KB
    anisa, Kitty77, ponies and 4 others like this.

Page 1 of 149 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread Information