User Tag List

Page 8 of 149 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 108 ... LastLast
Like Tree5643Likes

Thread: What's blooming in your yard?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    That clematis is beautiful - I don't have any with that unique flower shape...could it be Betty Corning?

Your smoke bush looks psychedelic, GoJays. Another thing I can't grow here, I'll just have to admire yours.
    I don't think so, marstec.. i googled it and it's more clematis-shaped than bell-shaped

after a quick search, i think mine is called Roguchi.. i call it a happy accident.. the one showing on the tag is something like this..

still very pretty, but not unusual, which is what i like.. i suppose that's why i grow orchids too - they're not so much pretty as just very unusual

Did you also notice that the smoke tree matches my bricks? lol

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Oh beautiful clematis, love the size of the blooms they look huge
    Actually, they're quite small.. they're only about two inches long.. just lil babies
    electric_viking likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

GoJays,

Believe it or not, Roguchi was my second guess. Was it labeled Queen Josephine?

I am growing five clems: Jackman, Etoile Violet, Polish Spirit, Rhapsody and Mme Julia Correvon. These aren't the most showy, but they are hardy for here. I've bought many others that have gone onto clematis heaven.
    Patty Smyth and GoJays like this.

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Enjoyed Everyone's beautiful garden pictures. Have purple Clementis, Lily of the Valley, Pink Lupins, Orange and Yellow poppies, blooming in the garden right now. Have a few vegetables sprouting beans, radish, zucchini, snow peas, pumpkin, potatoes and sunflower for the birds, onions, dill, mint and a few others. Red poppies are getting ready to bloom, everything is so early this year.
    Happy Gardening!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i love all the pics, very inspiring

i have a wide variety, but my yards are still not very 'put together' looking

i have a host of issues i inherited when we bought this house 3 yrs ago. the backyard is bricked over and i finally got hubby to agree that we should remove half of the bricks. it feels so depressing when we are in the backyard!

some day perhaps i will have a yard as big as Patty's and i can build my own Nature Park, just as she has ;p
    Patty Smyth likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    i love all the pics, very inspiring

i have a wide variety, but my yards are still not very 'put together' looking

i have a host of issues i inherited when we bought this house 3 yrs ago. the backyard is bricked over and i finally got hubby to agree that we should remove half of the bricks. it feels so depressing when we are in the backyard!

some day perhaps i will have a yard as big as Patty's and i can build my own Nature Park, just as she has ;p
    anisa,
    Try not to get discouraged about all the work that needs doing in your yard. Most people take years to get it right and, for a lot of us, it is always a work in progress. I find that the folks that want it NOW (and will pay to get it done), are not real gardeners. They want immediate gratification...the true gardeners take pride in, and enjoy, the whole process. So, do what you can, and get inspiration from others along the way.
    anisa and GoJays like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

years and years
    anisa likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

well, i have added a variety of prennials here and there, so i am happy with the staggered blooms that have made this spring and summer pretty and colorful so far

i moved some things around, got rid of a few perennials i thought were sort of, umm, not as nice

hubby knocked down the dirty, nasty pigeon coop last summer, and that was a huge improvement. now the shed that still has remnants of pigeon coop inside was gutted by hubby a few weeks ago. i just have to clean that up now and organize it and make it useful

i want a nice lush green backyard, but i think it will take another 2-3 summers to really achieve what i want

where the pigeon coop got ripped out last yr, we had a nice 6x7 foot patch of dirt that i grew a variety of veggies in last summer and this summer. that was exciting for the kids! i was subjected to weeding and gardening huge gardens as a child, so for me the novelty wasnt quite there, but at least i know what to do so that is a good thing i suppose haha.

truly tho, i am so inspired by everyone else's gardens, thanks for sharing everyone
    Last edited by anisa; Sat, Jun 23rd, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Bugs and more bugs....I think I'm keeping them rather healthy, actually...the leaves of my flowing plants that I've provided for their welfare seem to be doing their job. I'm very pleased that my bugs are plump and healthy.
    anisa likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i noticed these little yellow and black striped beetles in my veggie patch today. mainly on the cukes.

*eek*
    R

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I have been lucky so far this year, just a small section of the hedge has aphids and my hostas had something early on but the Safer's soap worked on them.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Check out my eerie little flower.. it's a minature water lily, it's about the size of a quarter

And here's my project....

before -

and after -

i still need a few more bricks to finish off the front of it, but you get the idea

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Now, I need your help please. I have this area in the corner of my garden, it gets ZERO sunshine. One of the plants in the picture is an astilbe and the other one is an interloper - several of them actually - from the neighbour's garden, lily of the valley.. omg do those suckers ever spread fast! Anyway, I have no clue what to plant in that corner. Two requirements - it must love full shade and it must be slug resistant. I had a hosta there that I just pulled out and replanted in a pot because it looked like swiss cheese. Something that flowers would be nice, but not necessary. Also, it cannot be invasive. I know, I'm not asking a lot, am I? I have a couple of ferns from my front garden that I'm considering moving there also.

Tweetybird999 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Great job on the planter area, GoJays!

Here are some suggestions for your full shade area:

Hostas (a good time to divide the more aggressive ones)
    Solomon's Seal
    Daylilies (You won't get as many flowers, but the greenery will be better than weeds!)
    Masterwort aka Astrantia
    Epimedium aka Bishop's Hat (not Bishop's Weed aka Goutweed aka the devil's plant - do not let it enter your garden - horribly invasive - need I say more?)

If you have any extra plants or divisions, I would try them as well...you never know how they will do and they won't cost you anything.
    GoJays likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for the ideas marstec.. I like the look of that masterwort and the epimedium (but NOT bishop's weed lol).. I have tons of daylilies that i can divide next year and try in there.. I thought solomon's seal was a fast spreader? DH's uncle had some in his garden and they basically took over.. but then again, I don't think he was much of a gardener, they had been there since his mother owned the house

Page 8 of 149 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 108 ... LastLast

Thread Information