User Tag List

Page 38 of 149 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 138 ... LastLast
Like Tree5643Likes

Thread: What's blooming in your yard?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    So far, I see tulips making the fastest growth, with older peonies following. My lilies haven't popped up yet though. Do the oriental breeds like stargazers generally come up after daylilies or do they all come up around the same time? I'm worried mine haven't made it.

I still need to check the rose for growth, but same as many of you, the ground is very wet and I'm afraid of sinking up to my ankles in mud.

Anyone reseeding their grass?
    I don't have any stargazers, so I can't answer your question with first-hand knowledge.. but if I had to guess, I'd say that they peek out of the ground a little later than the daylilies do... perhaps marstec can veryify this for us?

I cleaned up the back yard the other day. The catalpa tree had fun making a mess during the winter. I filled my one and only yard bag left over from last year with it's gigantic seed pods and I still have another bunch piled up like a little cord of wood ready to go. I love the tree in the summer, but all other times of the year I'd rather just get rid of it and have a nice sugar maple in it's place. I wonder how much it will grow this year?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Daylilies have varied times of bloom, some early, some middle, some late; and there are a few that have a much longer bloom period, like Stella D'oro.

Oriental lilies generally bloom late, after Asiatics and the LA hybrids anyway. Where I live, Oriental lilies don't thrive, I plant them anyway, but they start out well and dwindle down to nothing over a year or two.

I imagine out East you wouldn't have that problem. You do have to worry about the bulbs rotting or being dug up by critters though, not to mention damage from the horrible red lily beetle (which so far has not made an appearance here thank goodness).

If you know where the lilies are, you can gently pry around with your fingertips, and if they are just about to emerge, you will feel the tips of the shoots. I say, give them some time...every year, I've had plants that I though were dead that have come back...usually after I've plunked another plant right next to it!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

See? I told you
    Natalka, marstec and thriftygranny like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Did the BIG cleanup in the front today , took 5 hours, raked the grass, turned the earth , put 20 new bags of mulch in the center garden. Noticed teeny buds on my clematis and the tulips are now growing every day .. I planted about 500 in the fall can't wait to see them. It was the first time Kiera and I got to plant together. She is excited. Nothing like the smell of fresh cedar mulch. Although a few of the bags were still frozen and I have some "chunks" of mulch

and I got sun burned
    Natalka, GoJays, marstec and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    See? I told you
    GoJays likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I like too lots of gardening . This is great post for flowers . I really excited to get ready to develop my gardening like my flower plants and
    fruit plants .

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Light purples crocuses are open-saw a honeybee on a fourth dark purple crocus (thought there had only been three). And those ultramarine blue-four petal flowers with the light stripes down the centres.
    Daffodils (two bunches) are readying for bloom soon. Tulips (the remaining ones from 30yr old+ bulbs) are flourishing, leafwise. Then there are some new mint plants and tiny purple lilacs (what do you call that beehive looking kind?).

And I was just checking to see if the community paper came and noticed more pine branches (small) had fallen near the flowers, thus stopped by to admire the blooms. Nature can be nice!
    Natalka likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

The daffodils are finally blooming.. also one lonely little purple crocus.. lol
    I have tulips coming up but I don't remember planting tulips in this particular spot.. I can hardly wait to see what they look like
    Natalka likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Some hyacinths are finally popping up and the lilac tree is really starting to bud like a mad man.

I've got san marzano tomatoes, organic heirloom tomatoes, basil, peppers, oregano and chives coming up a storm in the jiffy pots.

I'd love to spend the weekend raking the grass and pottering about in the garden, but I'm too wimpy to do it in the 1 degree weather! brr
    Natalka and GoJays like this.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

My strawberry bush is getting beautiful green leaves and some of the buds that will be my breakie soon

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Think I found the name of the mysterious spring flowers I named larkspur. In the newspaper, someone had a photo of a honeybee on cilia flowers.

But online, glory of the snow seems to be the correct name (and how many years have I seen the flowers?? No idea how they travelled out of the flowerbed and down the front lawn in groups of three or so!). http://www.canadiangardening.com/pla...he-snow/a/1539
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Apr 20th, 2013 at 05:58 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

daffodils opened up but now they're grumpy and pouting because they were snowed on on saturday
    Natalka, gourmetsue and marstec like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    daffodils opened up but now they're grumpy and pouting because they were snowed on on saturday
    Have you determined whether they are male tulips?
    Natalka and GoJays like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    tiny purple lilacs (what do you call that beehive looking kind?).
    Hyacinth?
    do they look like this?

Name:  hyacinth-1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  19.4 KB

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Yes, I lurk..... for pics of pretty blooms!

Page 38 of 149 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 138 ... LastLast

Thread Information