Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Finally the tulips are out
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

oh how nice. I checked my hydrangea that I wasn't sure would have made it as its new last year and I chopped it down quite a bit last fall. But yay, there are little buds sprouting out everywhere today! Same for the raspberries.
    The SIL and my DS planted the first few rows of radishs, carrots and beets today! The rhubarb is just poking out, hostas are coming up too! Did I say YAY!
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Patty, they're beautiful! I love that deep red colour

Surprisingly, a couple of my rabbit-gnawed plants are coming back. The little vermin took the burning bush down to just one stick but it persevered and now there are new branches leafing out on it.

DH was also nice enough to help me staple chicken wire all the way around the fence so the little maggot can't get back in anymore. Did I ever mention that i HATE that rabbit? OK, just checking.
    Natalka, Shwa Girl and marstec like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    Patty, they're beautiful! I love that deep red colour

Surprisingly, a couple of my rabbit-gnawed plants are coming back. The little vermin took the burning bush down to just one stick but it persevered and now there are new branches leafing out on it.

DH was also nice enough to help me staple chicken wire all the way around the fence so the little maggot can't get back in anymore. Did I ever mention that i HATE that rabbit? OK, just checking.
    Elmer Fudd use to say, "I hate that wrascally wrabbit."

Name:  kw51381257.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  19.2 KB
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Fri, May 10th, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
    GoJays likes this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Has anyone seen any solar globes in their travels? What Im looking for is the ones that usually have some type of metal shape with a colored ball in the middle.Some thing similar to this without the stick. I bought some last year and dismantled the metal and hung the balls around the yard. Now my friends mom wants some too, and I cant find them anywhere. I looked at GT and JYSK where I originally got them, but they have them no more. They are only around 4.99, but the few Ive seen this year are around 20.00.
    I dont want to buy on line. I moved a few around and the neighbor came over to ask if I could move them back because he cant see them from his window anymore. LOL
    Last edited by miztia; Sat, May 11th, 2013 at 01:42 PM.
    itsmewhoelse likes this.
    Do you want to buy and sell Bitcoin? Sign up for Ndax to buy and sell bitcoin in Canada. Other altcoins available on the platform too! Quick, simple and secure.!. Have a look around. https://one.ndax.io/bfQb65

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I went flower shopping today I scored some things I have not seen before , can;t wait to get my annuals going but must be patient. Next week end for sure. mwuahahahahahahaha

Some are from a nursery some are from Costco.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Wow, it's so very nice to see flowers blooming! It's going to be quite a while before we can plant here.... so that means no shopping for them, either, which is tough because they seem to be on sale everywhere!

Oh, well, I got flowers for Mother's Day, so I'm enjoying them inside!
    Patty Smyth and cath007 like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Wow, it's so very nice to see flowers blooming! It's going to be quite a while before we can plant here.... so that means no shopping for them, either, which is tough because they seem to be on sale everywhere!

They are out every where here too but I am keeping them inside until this week's frost warning is over .
    Natalka and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    They are out every where here too but I am keeping them inside until this week's frost warning is over .
    I would like to know the cost of all of this and a question for all who plant flowers and seeds for veggies and fruits,what is your budget for that (max limit?)
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    I would like to know the cost of all of this and a question for all who plant flowers and seeds for veggies and fruits,what is your budget for that (max limit?)
    My budget for annuals is about $300. Where I save a lot is at the end of season I look for all the clearance on feed, grass seed, bags of cow poo, earth, miracle grow etc. Last year at Walmart at the end of season I made a killing. I got enough plant food for about 5 years at 90% off. Also dirt and other things for $1 a bag.

So far I have spent about $150 on my annuals, those in the picture. They are also in 4 and 6 inch pots so they are more mature plants. I will only put one per pot and then surround them with smaller plants.

As for my veggie seeds I ordered some from a catalog which was about $35 and I got the rest on Canadian Tire scratch card day for free.

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

I am in the same boat as you but that is to be expected here in good ol Winterpeg - there is still some places that have snow but my garden will eventually at some point have tomatoes, cucumbers, dill, onions and whatever flowers my kids will want to plant this year with their $5 CT Scratch card - so can't wait for this event to come back as last year we got tons of free soil and beautiful plants

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post

Shwa Girl likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I've never seen Celosias like that before, Patty. I love your choice of colours. Do you grow all your veggies in pots, or do you have an area in your yard dedicated to your vegetable garden?

My husband got finished the rototilling this weekend and we are ready to plant our veggies, probably by next weekend but only the direct sowed stuff. Tomatoes and peppers will be have to wait for another couple of weeks. I did yard cleanup, cutting down the dead foliage on the perennials and raking leaves and debris. I am one sore puppy right now...

I was at Costco this weekend and somehow resisted the urge to stock up on live plants...not too much longer now...
    Last edited by marstec; Mon, May 13th, 2013 at 11:14 AM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    I've never seen Celosias like that before, Patty. I love your choice of colours. Do you grow all your veggies in pots, or do you have an area in your yard dedicated to your vegetable garden?

My husband got finished the rototilling this weekend and we are ready to plant our veggies, probably by next weekend but only the direct sowed stuff. Tomatoes and peppers will be have to wait for another couple of weeks. I did yard cleanup, cutting down the dead foliage on the perennials and raking leaves and debris. I am one sore puppy right now...

I was at Costco this weekend and somehow resisted the urge to stock up on live plants...not too much longer now...
    New variety of Celosia this year Celosia Intenz, found it at Costco. Most of these flowers are going in pots, I have some wine barrels for veggies but am putting in new raised beds for veggies in the backyard this year. My dd said she would rather have a veggie garden than more room to play.
    tobiwobi likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I have already direct seeded, radishes, carrots, and beets. I have a raised bed so think they'll be fine.
    I also found 3 big clumps of peonys along my side yard where its kinda blocked off. It started off being a side yard in the front yard, with the back of our backyard shed as the end. Plus it has a big pine tree growing in front of it.
    I think I missed them all this time (6 years!) because either the hubby or the kids got to mowing the lawn and they just mowed it all down! YIKES.
    So a couple of years of ago the dh put a fence up along the front of the side yard to the house and then made a doggie door in the back end of the shed for our dog to have a dog run in that side yard. So that made it more difficult to get to that part, dh usually just runs the weed wacker thru there.
    But this year I found them and dug up a few even though I know I should wait until fall but I had to try to save some before he gets in there again! I left some in case these don't transplant so well. BUT YAY I am gonna have a ton of peonys for my backyard. I wonder if they will be the same dark and light pink colors or different. I already have 5 in the front beds.
    GoJays likes this.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    My budget is $30 for individual annuals for the front garden and containers, and another 25 for two hanging baskets!

Just found out my sister put some annuals out, very brave girl. She lives not far from me. I just don't want to put them out and have to be going out and covering them.
    cath007 likes this.

Page 41 of 149 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 141 ... LastLast

Thread Information