User Tag List

Page 56 of 149 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 106 ... LastLast
Like Tree5643Likes

Thread: What's blooming in your yard?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I know that it is not the right time of year for this, but I am probably going to dig up my front flower bed this week and it has bulbs in it that have been there for years. The flower bed was there before we bought the house 8yrs ago. The soil is horrible and the boarder is small and rotting. There is a LOT of quack grass in it and I have dug out all the shoots each year, but there is no liner in the flower bed to stop it from growing back. I just finished digging out all the purple iris tubules. I have tulips and tigerlillies to dig out too. What is the best way to preserve these flowers? I want to give them away or sell them for cheap. I told dh earlier this year that as far as I am concerned we can get rid of the flower bed. I know it won't help the curb appeal for our house, but I prefer my vegetable garden in the back yard and the flower bed gets neglected. I have barely found anything that will thrive there because it is shallow, South facing, against siding (VERY hot).
    Thanks for your help.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Lesson learned: dahlias don't like Safer Insecticidal Soap , it killed them

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Going out to take some pics.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I'm pleased to report that my hydrangea is blooming! I bought this plant five or six years ago, it bloomed the second year (only about two blooms) and that was the last time I saw its lovely light blue flowers. It dies back almost completely every year, but maybe the wet spring helped it along this time? I don't know, but it's bigger than it's ever been (still under two feet tall) and has about eight flowers on it. So excited!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I have some decent cucumbers now. Things are ok but big disappointments this year, Rocket Snap Dragons, Stock, Impatiens, Elephant ears, actually pretty much all the annuals I planted in the backyard . Back to a simpler strategy next year. Bobby and Neo were following me around
    Attached Images Attached Images                                

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Damage from the storm yesterday, so much for my awning , gone in 60 seconds.

FOUND ONE!!! I just put it up and it is exactly the same except a bit better . Total cost $89!!!! Wohoooooooo I'll post a pic tomorrow , I am happy got it at RONA in case anyone is looking.
    Angela273 and GoJays like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

random - for some reason my camera date was 11/28/2049 I think Kiera may have been fooling around with it.
    Angela273 and GoJays like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I'm pleased to report that my hydrangea is blooming! I bought this plant five or six years ago, it bloomed the second year (only about two blooms) and that was the last time I saw its lovely light blue flowers. It dies back almost completely every year, but maybe the wet spring helped it along this time? I don't know, but it's bigger than it's ever been (still under two feet tall) and has about eight flowers on it. So excited!
    I had the same problem, I had one for about 8 years it would always die back and since the blooms are on the old wood it would never bloom just a bunch of new branches. Finally one year it did bloom but then went back to not I finally replaced it with a regular hydrangea.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Patty, the yard still looks amazing despite the weather damage. Loved the kitties too!!
    Patty Smyth, Angela273 and GoJays like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Tomato,lettuce,carrot,sunflowers,caraway seeds,strawberries,sea buckthorn,peppers,butternut squash,mystery squash in the compost,most are doing very well had spinach but dug it up beacuse it was growing funny (small plants flowering)
    Patty Smyth and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    There was a thread a while back about a disease affecting Impatiens plants. I just checked and my impatiens have it; they were looking so good up until now. It's downy mildew and unless you sprayed fungicide preventatively, then it's better to dispose of the plant once it is infected with it. The top part of the leaf looks alright but once you turn it over, you will see that it is covered with a white film. They decline fairly quickly once they've come down with this. I bought a whole flat of impatiens at Costco this Spring, and it has been a part of my garden for so many years.
    I don't really like this, but i had posted in this thread about that disease this year, which is why I didn't buy any impatients.
    And i love them. Sorry to hear yours had the disease.
    GoJays likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

not quite in my backyard..... but i can see it from my rooftop!
    Last edited by vesper; Mon, Mar 27th, 2017 at 10:39 AM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    not quite in my backyard..... but i can see it from my rooftop!

Attachment 187685

Soy and canola?
    walkonby likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

^ My guess would be canola and flax, Patty. Glad you were able to get a good deal on the canopy. What kind of basil are you growing?...I have never seen leaves that big for regular sweet basil.

A few pics of the garden to share:
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Love that picture vesper!!

Beautiful flowers, as always, marstec

My rose of sharon is going gang busters, so many flowers on it this year which means that I will be picking little rose of sharons our of my lawn next year The catalpa tree seems to have added another ten feet to its height. My delphiniums are finished, just dried out little husks now. I really should get out there and start chopping things down but the mosquitoes are unbearable. We've had a few tomatoes (ds loves them, dd not so much, dh not at all), the strawberries didn't do squat this year, neither did the beans - something is eating the leaves - I suspect slugs. Sadly, the late summer/fall flowers are blooming now - someone needs to explain to them that they are early.. hrmph. I'll get out for some pictures one of these days.

Patty Smyth and walkonby like this.

Page 56 of 149 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 106 ... LastLast

Thread Information