User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: CASHIERS: Seriously? Just do your job!!

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Some of the hardest, most thankless jobs pay the least.

I love the book Nickel and Dimed: On not getting by in America. It's about a journalist and Ph.D who goes undercover to take minimum-wage jobs in different places in the US.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there cash registers way back in the good old days where you had to take the money and then figure out in your head how much change to give back instead of the machine telling you how much to give back?

I believe they were NCR ones and god help me at the end of the day, I wasn't short.
    Last edited by couponmummy; Sun, Jun 3rd, 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

one of my local supermarkets has just got a new batch of, mainly teens, cashiers. Some of them have really picked up the whole thing, others are less able ATM.

But there are some customers who are treating these new workers really badly.shouting at them and calling them names because they are not as fast or friendly as the long-timers.
    etherealone and torontogal12 like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by couponmummy View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there cash registers way back in the good old days where you had to take the money and then figure out in your head how much change to give back instead of the machine telling you how much to give back?

I believe they were NCR ones and god help me at the end of the day, I wasn't short.
    I worked as a cashier in the early 1980's and the tills calculated the change. But I have seen ones from that time that didn't.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    16 (94%)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyFromTheRock View Post
    I'm sorry you feel that way... but none of it sounds hard to me.
    come on now. it seems like your just being stubborn. you sound very unreasonable when you say this. we all know that work is work.

It's ok to stand your ground. maybe you could do this without dumbing down a job that it seems some of us on this site do as a job. If you know that you are offending cashiers on here, it doesn't take much to find some common ground and maybe re-word what you said perhaps????
    mcminsen, Kalmel, DianneS and 4 others like this.
    if at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you...

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As for their job being "hard enough" please.... being a cashier is not hard. Try managing an office, working construction, nursing or day care provider......... being a cashier isn't hard.
    Excuse me? You try working as a cashier having soft drinks thrown on you, having people threatening to beat you up, having to deal with drunk people screaming at you and trying to climb the counter, have to deal with people trying to reach over and grab your cash machine all for 10.25 an hour. You're on edge all day because if your till is +$1/-$1 you will be written up.. At least with all the jobs you listed they make more than minimum wage and get treated with respect.

You can learn alot about someone by the way they treat those who are "beneath" them.
    Last edited by Snow Queen; Sun, Jun 3rd, 2012 at 10:30 PM.
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Sounds like the people who say cashier is an easy job have never done it. Cashier is hard. Standing all day. Feet aching for hours (mine would ache into the next morning). Lifting heavy things. Repetitive motions. Minimum wage. Customers complain because you're folding their clothes "wrong" or "not smiling enough." Once got a talking to because my till was 9 cents short. Made me sign papers saying I had been "warned." Wish I had known I wasn't legally obligated.

Dealt with threatening customers trying to get you to change the price, even when the supervisor says no. One guy threatened to beat me up because his credit card was declined (it was stolen). Took security guard a long time to kick that guy out but not until this huge 60 year old biker type man had his fun screaming and threatening a 17 year old girl who did nothing to him but swipe his stolen plastic. Another girl was held up at gunpoint. People pull quick change scams on new cashiers who don't know better. And one creepy older guy who always tried to hit on me was waiting for me one night after work. Thank god my dad was there to take me home or who knows what would've happened.

I got fired after 8 years there. Reason? One supervisor told me I could take some time off (going away for school). Other supervisor never bothered to talk to him about it and fired me for taking too much time off. Thanks for your 8 years of service

Cashier is one of the hardest jobs in the world. I respect each and every one of you on SC who is a cashier for a living. My mom is a cashier many of my friends continue to do so.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I personally dont know any cashiers but, just knowing they have to stand there for several hours in a row is enough to feel for them.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    166 (100%)

I personally do not know how "uneducated" us "cashier types" are. I have worked part time as a cashier for 8 years now, and during that time have gained both my high school diploma and an honours biology degree Summa Cum Laude.

I currently still work here and for the past year also at a recycling facility (55hr weeks - work every day) and am applying for graduate schooling.

So, before people get angry at cashiers:

We obviously do make mistakes, but not all because we are an uneducated bunch

Thanks

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    56 (100%)

I'm sorry you feel that way... but none of it sounds hard to me.
    perhaps you could describe what you do for a living so everyone can judge the aspects of your job?

I work in service, and it is hard, and you should be appreciative of cashiers, because without them, you would have no where to shop.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by K8's Fate View Post
    I've held my tongue all day. I've reported this thread twice, and it still exists. Boo said, "please make sure you are not attacking other people or members. Don't insult or offend people with your rant and be considerate."

No, I'm not modding. I'm just passing on info about the rant forum.

The pro styler thread as been taken down..so since this one is no better..figure it's just a matter of time it's gonna go up in flames also.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by couponmummy View Post

Yes, I have used really old systems where the change was not calculated.

(insert voice effect) "Back about 30 years ago, when I was first learning at jobs requiring cash, part of the interview involved calculating the right change and counting it back. (ie "Your total is $13.92. From $20, Your change is $6.08. ")
    Last edited by greencanuck; Mon, Jun 4th, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Jenny from the rock is currently on a ban. If she cannot control her attitude she will be banned for longer periods of time. Would everyone like me to leave her posts on this thread or remove?

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    Jenny from the rock is currently on a ban. If she cannot control her attitude she will be banned for longer periods of time. Would everyone like me to leave her posts on this thread or remove?
    Your call Sally.
    Leaving them shows that SC will ban users for attack type posts.
    Removing them will also demonstrate that SC does not allow attacking others (including their profession).
    ......SEARCH USING SWAGBUCKS!.....
    ..................EARN $$$ FAST!..................
    .............Join using my referral..............
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/K8sFate

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

For the time being since so many people quoted her I will leave them. I also posted that anymore issues from her when shes off her ban please pm me immediately, I dont always get to reports since I do a lot of other stuff for Sc.

Darth Penguin and K8's Fate like this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information