User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Fresh Summer Fruit, When and Where do you get it?

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by snuffaluffagus View Post
    I have to find a farm to go pick them at.

I promised myself that this summer, I'm going to start to dig lots of space in the yard to grow strawberries and raspberries next year.
    If you could... choose fall raspberry. They taste very good and are less work than the summer raspberry because they produce on the stem of the year. Summer raspberry produce on stem of 2 years and you need to remove cut the old stem each year. With the falls one, you just need to pass the weed eater late in fall and cover with leaf from tree or straw or mkae sure they have a big snow cover.

I used to pick the tastiest wild blueberries on this little island in New Brunswick. It's only 12 hours away....
    We combine camping with blueberries pickling!!!
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Ok Ontest, honestly, every time I read your posts, I feel so inadequate as a homemaker. I feel like I should be out in the yard planting a garden, going through the woods picking berries, and in the kitchen making everything from scratch. Oy, I think I will just go down to the grocery sore because if I cooked everything from scratch, I would probably poison someone.

You give Martha Stewart a run for her money!

Please tell me: do you milk your own cow to make milk and cream and cheese?

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaK View Post
    Ok Ontest, honestly, every time I read your posts, I feel so inadequate as a homemaker. I feel like I should be out in the yard planting a garden, going through the woods picking berries, and in the kitchen making everything from scratch. Oy, I think I will just go down to the grocery sore because if I cooked everything from scratch, I would probably poison someone.

I know this is not for everybody
    I choose to leave my job as research assistant (and the money that come with) to have that kind of life (and also to be with the kids... but kids or not it was already in my plan to do that before I turn 40!!!), this is my choice and I assume it.

So, for snuff I just wrote when we have those fruits here as a landmark... Anyway those fruits will come to the city and will be sold and you will be able to buy it cheaper at that time and have fresher stuff.

There is no obligation for people to go and pick it themself for free like I do. I enjoy doing it, but maybe you didn't enjoy it!!! and you have the right of it!

My cow is called Pharmaprix
    Last edited by 2010ontest; Wed, Jun 6th, 2012 at 09:49 AM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

For apples we switched to St. Gregoire area over Rougemont. They just go too commercial in Rougemont and too expensive. They sell most of their stuff to the Oasis plant that is in rougemont and leave the crap for the public IMO. In St. Gregoire we go to the Verger de la Montangue. They use less pesticides also. We go in October because we pick Spencer and Cortland mostly but last year they let us try a new apple that they are growing, no name yet, but it was the best. i am hoping they will have a bigger crop this year. It is also a late apple and it's yellow not red.
    2010ontest and Tbites like this.

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

I talk about the abbaye cistercienne to snuff because they use less pesticide too... and price is better than the area close to mont St-Hilaire. Orchard on road Osias Leduc between MacMasterville, Otterburn Park are a bit pricey I found.

In the area of IMLN, there is a place having apple, pear and plum and they use less pesticide also. This is Le verger Labonté.

But I really miss time when I was living in Sherbrooke and was going to Compton at the Verger La pomme d'amour. It was a very old orchard with beautiful old apple tree and a nice price.
    Patty Smyth and Tbites like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Two years ago we went apple picking at an organic farm near Ormstown.
    It was a very nice place. Amazing apples. Expensive, but that's what you pay for Organic. (They were probably the normal price for organic apples, but I wouldn't know as I don't normally buy organic).
    I loved that it was a family run orchard. The owner and his wife showed us around the place. And their kids worked the cash register.
    I believe the owners gave up their careers to go into agriculture.
    If I go apple picking again this year, I will definitely go back there.

http://www.vergerbiologique.com/home.html
    Silk and 2010ontest like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I just saw on the news yesterday that Ontario has lost 85% of it's apple crop due to warm spring then frost . I wonder what it is like here? I have not heard anything.

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

producer were worried about it early in spring because we has high temperature in march... A friend of me, having a pépinière and producing apple tree and other fruits trees said it to me. They have a very young orchard of approx 10-12 years and were stress about the frost on the flower. But it seems it was ok for them. Good thing... temperature stay low event if snow was already thaw... so tree stayed in "dormance" (winter mode) until temperature go higher

Here, my ornement wild apple tree was far of blooming when we had the last big frost... Apple tree in my road and mine had a huge blooming and now mine have many, many little fruit on.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://www.bonneboitebonnebouffe.org/en/home/

I pay about 7 or 10$ per box, every 2 wks and always get fresh local fruits and veggies in season... Love it!
    Last edited by stuckunderhere; Fri, Jun 15th, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
    chemicalflaw likes this.
    ¤SARAH¤

If you always think what you always thought
    You will always get what you always got

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by super_e View Post
    Two years ago we went apple picking at an organic farm near Ormstown.
    It was a very nice place. Amazing apples. Expensive, but that's what you pay for Organic. (They were probably the normal price for organic apples, but I wouldn't know as I don't normally buy organic).
    I loved that it was a family run orchard. The owner and his wife showed us around the place. And their kids worked the cash register.
    I believe the owners gave up their careers to go into agriculture.
    If I go apple picking again this year, I will definitely go back there.

http://www.vergerbiologique.com/home.html
    I was suppose to go there with a friend last year but she had to cancel at the last minute. She brought back a few lbs for me a couple of years ago -- i think it was about $2/lb -- not more than that. is that in the ballpark of what you paid?

Silk
    Last edited by Silk; Sun, Jun 17th, 2012 at 12:11 AM.
    Have a great life!

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tbites View Post
    And by the way thanks for the thread and all the super useful responses. All my parents have taught me about picking fruit is that U.S. strawberries should be avoided (always choose QC) and the melon tapping thing. Watching my Dad tapping almost every melon in a bin is just pure entertainment for me
    What is the melon tapping thing? Can someone explain this to me?

It's good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way! And I do have a number of things I make from scratch -- but when I read all that Ontest does (and knows!) I'm in awe.

It's great Ontest that you're doing exactly what you planned - it all sounds very satisfying

Silk
    Have a great life!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Strawberries case - $16 MArche 440

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

This is the last week for asparagus for my producer...
    Last day = june 23

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

How much do the asparagus cost, ontest? I don't know what's a good price on that as I've bought the Europe's Best ones lately so that's all I have to compare to. Fresh tastes soooo much better though.

Patty, how big is the case of strawberries? I'm going to Metro tomorrow as there was a local farmer there last year selling strawberries just outside the front door (and the best tasting strawberries ever!). I saw the tables and sign tonight when I went but I arrived too late. I think I paid 20$ last Summer.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

How much do the asparagus cost, ontest? I don't know what's a good price on that as I've bought the Europe's Best ones lately so that's all I have to compare to. Fresh tastes soooo much better though.

Patty, how big is the case of strawberries? I'm going to Metro tomorrow as there was a local farmer there last year selling strawberries just outside the front door (and the best tasting strawberries ever!). I saw the tables and sign tonight when I went but I arrived too late. I think I paid 20$ last Summer.
    The cases have 12 of the little containers each. They were pretty full also and very yummy! I made the fruit pie tonight with them.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information