User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: How I save money on my animals: My tips

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hey Everyone,

I like to save money on my pets so I can spend it on things that matter more like Vet care! Most of the time pet industries will sell you things you really don't need so here's what I do to save money and avoid getting ripped off. So I'll try my best to be as abrupt as possible!

1. Dog or Cat food: For Dogs I buy Authority dog food from pet smart because it contains great ingredients but because petsmart itself makes the food, they do not have to do a crazy price mark up as if they would on other brands (Blue, Spots Stew, etc) It's not cheap but here's the catch: You can price match a Canadian petsmart to the petsmart website Because petsmart only has an American website, it only displays american prices! So if you print out the page that says the price and product you can save over $20 on your bag of dog food everytime you buy it! Canadian stores sell them for higher than the lowest price on the Petsmart website! Here's the link: http://www.petsmart.com/family/index...uthority&fbx=1
    And you can do this for any product you buy at petsmart so long as its on the website and the price is cheaper! So If you wanted to buy that big expensive bag of blue dog food, you can get it for at least $20 cheaper!

2.Dog beds: get them at costco! A large bed is $20 vs. and $80 name brand bed, if you dont like the pine smell them remove the pine and fill it with bean bag filler instead (which will only cost $8 extra)

3.Dog Grooming: it's much cheaper to get your dog groomed at petsmart for a nail trim and a clipping than it is to buy expensive nail trimmers and the hair clippers.

4.Cat Litter: ​the cheapest possible litter you can get for your cat is sand. But honestly its a lot cheaper to toilet train it because you save approx $15 a month on litter. This one does take effort but just think of never having to scoop up cat poop again! Here's the makeshift home way of doing it http://www.wikihow.com/Toilet-Train-Your-Cat

5.Cat Clippers: Most stores will sell cat clippers for a stupid marked up price. Cats nails are thin and don't require very strong clippers. Head over to the rodent section and pick up some Rabbit or guinea pig clippers, they have a simple design so typically they're cheaper.

6.Dog Treats: Milkbones and other dog treats that are sold in bulk can be harmful to your dog if they're receiving them daily. A cheaper option is a microwaved hot dog (in moderation) or if you feel like putting the time into it Boiled Eggs are amazing for dogs (remove the shell!!) Most people have some eggs in their fridge so its much better to just boil one than spend an extra $10-$30 on dog treats. Eggs also have several health benefits and can be fed several times a week!
    Other Cheap But Good for your dogs Health Treats: White Rice, Unflavored Yogurt, Broccoli, Carrots, Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast

7.Cat Beds: I've never heard of a cat actually using their cat bed.

8.​ Aquarium Owners: Boil large rocks you find outside for an hour and a half each BAM free decoration for your fish. This works for sticks and driftwood (just remember to strip the bark). I find this more sensible instead of paying for a rock someone else boiled.

9.Rodent Owners: Train you rodent to go in one corner of the cage. this way you'll only have to spot clean the cage and you'll save money on bedding. Rodents this usually works for: Rabbits, Some Guinea Pigs, Rats, Hamsters, Some Mice. Just clean the cage, keep some of the old bedding with your rodents poop in it (yuck). Choose the corner you want your rodent to go in and change the bedding for you that corner (I use shredded newspaper, only in one corner though!) and place some of the old pooped on bedding in the poop corner. Do this a couple cage cleans, hopefully they'll get the hint.

10.For Dogs and Cats With Fleas: If you want an Effective flea treatment without wasting your money look for this chemical in the contents list: S-Methoprene
    This kills fleas in all life cycle stages (larvae, juvenile, adult) so you wont waste your time and lots of money buying tons of different flea treatments trying to find the right one that works.

11.Bird Owners: Most birds don't need corn cob for bedding, newspaper or paper towel works better than anything (especially they're caged off from the base of the cage). store will chareg anywhere from $5-$20 for this bird bedding most birds don't require

I have a lot of other saving methods but none are coming to mind right now! What are yours?
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco, PetSmart, Shell
    Lynn49 and MortgageQueen like this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

I can only answer about dogs as those are what we have .

Dog food: I feed raw meat/bones(raw, never cooked)/organs and home-cooked meals. No vet visits for our guys due to illnesses for over 5 years now and no need for dental cleaning, expressing anal glands, etc..

Dog Beds: Our guys are large so crib mattresses found at garage sales for under 5$ are great deals for us. Excellent support, easy to wash and they last forever.

Grooming: Good nail clippers are cheaper over the course of 12+ years than visiting a groomer for the same time period. Regular walks on sidewalks also help to keep the nails filed down. Frequent brushing and appropriate brushes for our dogs' coat types are invaluable as well.

Dog Treats: Just about anything healthy found in our fridge. Cheese, cooked/raw meat, whole raw eggs (uncooked shell included = great source of calcium), little tidbits of leftovers, etc.

Paraciticides: Always purchased through a vet and only brands recommended by the Canadian or American Veterinary Association as some OTC ones found in pet stores can be harmful. For topical treatments, we apply every 45 days (not during colder Winter months) rather than every 30 days (called manufacturer and they explained that it's indeed effective for 45 days). It saves us one treatment per dog per year.
    Last edited by snuffaluffagus; Wed, Jun 6th, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I don't buy cat treats, the ones on sales with coupons are junk. I don't need the marketing justification that they'll 'love me' more.

Ditto on the cat beds.

I use Pine litter since I can't toilet train. Unless you have a toilet you can set aside for them kitties (at during the training phase), this isn't a viable option for everyone.

I got cat specific nail trimmers, who cares about markup, don't lose them and they'll last years.

Other than 'wand' toys, I haven't really bought them much for toys. Paper bags, boxes, crunched up paper, etc.

I collar trained mine when I got her (at 7 mos old). She's not aware they can easily break off.

I buy only holistic cat food. I work at a pet store and get a discount.
    abbasgirl, Lynn49 and frugal50 like this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Lua
    Female
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

hmmm my cats love their beds! seriously, the spend all afternoon in their beds.. every day!

I buy litter at Walmart for $5 a box

And I only buy Holistic Select food - wet and dry...

I don't trim their nails (they are de-clawed in front and take care of the back themselves)

I don't buy treats - they don't need them

Free toys are always best - balls of paper, foil, boxes, etc.

come to think of it, I am really good at saving $ everywhere else in my life so that I can afford to take care of my cats! I had 2 scares already with one of them - 1 scare was a vet bill of over $1000!! So.. i'd rather just spend that little bit more to feed them proper food and keep them healthy.
    Lynn49, walkonby and frugal50 like this.
    Join SWAGBUCKS! Get free amazon $!!!
    My Blog: http://mypinkthumb.com

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I make all my pet food which is waaaaaaaay better for them then store bought.
    My 9 yr. old Lab/Rottie mix has ZERO tarter on her teeth. . .surprise surprise.
    Treats are usually carrots or broccoli pieces or left over scraps. . . and in the winter (when their more bored) they get raw beef bones.
    Wish I could find a cheap source for those. Even butchers aren't that cheap anymore
    Toys are usually Kong-type that they can't destroy. . . .although they love the rope ones too.
    My cats just torture the dogs for fun in winter. In summer they go outside and decimate the rodent/bird/squirrel population. (we live on 50 acres, so they're safe)
    Beds?! HAH!! Anything WE sit or sleep in they consider THEIR beds too. In fact, I feel like a 3rd rate citizen in my own bed most nights! lol!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

This will be the first summer since 1995 I won't be having outdoor cats. Since Thelord is now blind I just don't want him wondering around outside anymore.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    This will be the first summer since 1995 I won't be having outdoor cats. Since Thelord is now blind I just don't want him wondering around outside anymore.

Wise choice!! I don't imagine he'd be too keen to go far anyway. . poor little munchkin. Well. . .more time for snuggles.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

My kitties love their beds too!
    My lil cat family -
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/members...-happy-family/
    Lynn49, momof3heathens and okgirl like this.
    ......SEARCH USING SWAGBUCKS!.....
    ..................EARN $$$ FAST!..................
    .............Join using my referral..............
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/K8sFate

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by K8's Fate View Post
    My kitties love their beds too!
    My lil cat family -
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/members...-happy-family/
    OH MY GOODNESS! TOOOOO CUTE!! I had to hide my cats eyes in case they started getting ideas! lol

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    Wise choice!! I don't imagine he'd be too keen to go far anyway. . poor little munchkin. Well. . .more time for snuggles.

He's not a snuggly cat..he's the Kipling

cat that walks by himself and all places are alike to him
    I'm the only person out of 5 he aknowledges exists. If any one else feds him, he ignores the food for as long as it takes for them to leave. He'll sit on me when I'm on the sofa but prefers to sit on the back behind my head..very strange cat...

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

My 80 pound puppy saves us money by being a plant and tree protector. Apple trees, tomato plants, all safe. He's a bunny and beaver eradicator and a squirrel and bird chaser-awayer. He also keeps the coyotes away, which is a new problem in C.B They've lost their fear of humans, and some will attack. A young lady lost her life last year. Coyotes haven't lost thier fear of Gaius though, they're not that dumb. Out at the country place, I have no worries there's a coyote within a mile when Gaius is patrolling. So the kids are safe.
    Last edited by DaveP; Thu, Jun 7th, 2012 at 12:23 AM.
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

"Gaius patrolling"...love it!!
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    "Gaius patrolling"...love it!!
    He patrols at lightning speed through dense woods. We've built a few trails down to the brook and the lake and he'll just explode out of the brush and disappear into the brush on the other side of the path when I'm walking along sometimes. He's there, he's gone! Near gives me a coronary!

Comforting, assuming my heart can stand the shock.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    He patrols at lightning speed through dense woods. We've built a few trails down to the brook and the lake and he'll just explode out of the brush and disappear into the brush on the other side of the path when I'm walking along sometimes. He's there, he's gone! Near gives me a coronary!

Comforting, assuming my heart can stand the shock.
    He's exercising your heart, Dave...he's obviously not only your protector, he's also your cardiologist. But with a name like Gaius how could we expect less?
    DaveP likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you have small rodents that eat hay, a good way to save money is to buy in bulk. Instead of paying $10 for a tiny bag of hay at a typical large-chain pet store, look for bulk stores or even farmers that will sell you the hay at a bulk price. When I had chinchillas I bought a bail of hay for $20, and in a pet store the quanity would cost upwards of $60 or more.
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information