User Tag List

Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Bird Sightings Please Post!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It is so hot the poor little robin is sitting in her nest with her beak wide open and her wings spread out to stay cool. I put out apples cut in half and the robins eat them to the peel in 2 days.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Excellent post, I found the Original Link for Wild Earth...
    just tuned into the webcam (http://www.hornbyeagles.com/webcam.htm) to find the tragic news that pheonix has passed. just days before his expected fledging. it's heartbreaking. according to the forums (http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=11.2350), he had been sneezing, losing his appetite, gasping for air... definitely struggling. they were going to attempt to rescue and rehabilitate him but a suitable climber experienced with eagles couldn't make it until tomorrow and that proved to be too late. oh, life. can't help but shed some tears tonight. R.I.P little pheonix.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sounds great....

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Finally saw my first Robin yesterday. Still waiting for a BlueJay...

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Blue Jays are plentiful here. They are constantly eating peanuts and
    Sunflower seeds.
    One of the neighbourhood Cardinals popped in today too.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Central Ontario...but will ALWAYS be a Northerner
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I saw a beautiful Cardinal on Tuesday evening. We were in my cousin's backyard enjoying dinner when the Cardinal landed in the middle of the yard and stay for almost 10 minutes.
    Earn FREE amazon.ca gift cards through swagbucks

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Today (and yesterday), we've had a bunch of crows lined up on the hydro lines outside the house.

It's starting to freak me out.

Hitchcock's "the Birds" has apparently had a real impact on me.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Lol ninna thats funny, but for the Eagle well thats sad, I was watching the one in Victroria but gave up with the cam being not so good. Wonder why they climbed up and took it out of the nest? My dog loves chasing the birds in the backyard and thank goodness Ms. Minou has not come home with feathers sticking out of her mouth yet. There are no hummingbirds coming to the feeder lately? I just love the mornings and listening to all the birds chirping.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by saraL View Post
    we have a woodpecker drinking out of our hummingbird feeder. i have never heard of that before. i did a google search and apparently it's common, as long as the feeder has holes big enough for their beaks. still a strange sight to me!
    i have it is nutty -but makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by winston View Post
    It is so hot the poor little robin is sitting in her nest with her beak wide open and her wings spread out to stay cool. I put out apples cut in half and the robins eat them to the peel in 2 days.
    oh shoot, as always best wishes to you and any little being
    near by, winston
    if you have some spare time

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bluerose View Post
    ...Wonder why they climbed up and took it out of the nest?...
    they're going to perform a necropsy on him/her in an attempt to discover the cause of death. the parents reaction has been so interesting -- neither have returned to the nest but they've both been reported circling the area and the mother could be heard calling and trilling while eagle jr. was being removed -- awww. tough job for them, such a low success rate in nesting.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

spotted some yellow finches in the park this morning! ...I should really start bringing my camera on these walks.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Raccoons, which technically aren't birds.
    A mother and 5 babies trying to escape in my Boat Shaped Sandbox
    Little did they know I have the keys!
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We have had a gadwall (duck) in the creek for a few days now.A mallard with 3 babies has been hanging around too. We had a nest of flycatchers on our hydro pole between two insulators for 5yrs now but the other day when it rained after being 30 plus the fuse blew. It was as loud as a bomb and of course no hydro for the day! The guys said the nest had helped build up too much heat and they cleaned off the nest. But the news is good cause the babies had fledged about 3 or 4 days earlier. Lucky for them cause they probably would have died.I almost had a heart attack myself. lol They will probably rebuild next year, they seem to like it there.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I was checking out a picture of what flycatchers looked like.... and it reminded me of a story I had read about a osprey nest that caused a power outage in Salmon Arm B.C. While I was checking out the story in the Salmon Arm Observer I came apon this cute little story and thought to share it....

Birds become tot’s teacher

Cozy: Five baby chickadees enjoy the security of the Chernoff’s birdhouse.
    By Barb Brouwer - Salmon Arm Observer
    Published: June 29, 2010 6:00 PM
    Updated: June 30, 2010 12:03 AM
    A backyard bird’s nest taught a little girl a lot about life this spring.
    Out in the garden with her mom one day, three-year-old Kassidy Chernoff made an exciting discovery – a bird had entered a birdhouse attached to a freestanding post.
    Over the next little while, Kassidy watched as mother and father bird flew in and out of the house.
    “We saw an old nest in there, so we know it’s used well,” says Terri, who moved to Salmon Arm with her family last July.
    “We spent about two to two-and-a-half weeks watching, we were quite excited because we knew they were building a nest.”
    Terri says she explained to Kassidy that once there were eggs inside, they mustn’t go near the house for fear of scaring the parents.
    Three weeks later, when she peeked into the nests, Terri saw eggs and two weeks later heard chirping.
    Terri carefully put her camera lens at the door to the birdhouse, capturing a photo of five baby chickadees.
    “That nest endured many wind storms,” says Terri, noting the approaching birth was very much on the family’s mind. “I laid awake all one night worrying about what would happen if it blew over.”
    But the birdhouse weathered the storm and a few weeks later and back in the garden, Kassidy and her mom watched as one-by-one, the chickadees flew out of the nest.
    “They flew out like clock work,” Terri says. “I think they were quite grown and strong because they didn’t flutter down to the ground, they flew right up into a cedar tree.”
    With a cat and dog in the family, the creation of a new chickadee family has been yet another opportunity to teach Kassidy about the value of life.
    “It’s just a way for me to pass down a love of nature and that miracles happen right outside the window,” says Terri. “And those small miracles are so special. Don’t overlook them.”
    Although mother and daughter have kept a careful eye on the garden, the chickadees have moved on. But they haven’t moved out of Kassidy’s heart.
    “The birds will come back next spring and she’s just learning about the seasons, so she’s keeping track of when spring will come,” Terri says.
    And the Chernoff’s will be ready.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

What a cool story!

Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Thread Information