User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: I think I just had a brilliant thought re garden slugs....

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

This is the first spring that I recall seeing actual snails on plant stems in the flower gardens. Usually, I come across snails on a sidewalk after rain.

Slugs-the beer in the lids in the garden is a tip I heard of years ago. A gardener of some exp. said not to water the garden at night as slugs are most active then. So far I'm relying on rainstorms for water.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

i bought a roll of copper tape from Lee Valley Tools to wrap around the bottom of pots.. before copper tape - complete devastation.. after copper tape - happy, safe plants, unhappy slugs

here's a site i found
    http://eap.mcgill.ca/MagRack/JPR/JPR_29.htm
    Lynn49, Darth Penguin and millak like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I love Lee Valley..I'm so glad I don't have a credit card though..
    GoJays likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    i bought a roll of copper tape from Lee Valley Tools to wrap around the bottom of pots.. before copper tape - complete devastation.. after copper tape - happy, safe plants, unhappy slugs

here's a site i found
    http://eap.mcgill.ca/MagRack/JPR/JPR_29.htm
    Thank you, Jays, I do remember reading something about copper years ago...Now: this copper tape..is it readily available in local hardware type stores? The link you posted didn't make it quite clear enough (for me) on how it's used...so you just place it on the ground around the base of your plants?
    I think I'll have to order it if it's not available locally...thank you for the reminder, Jays!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

the website is unrelated to the copper tape, it was just information on the slugs.. here's the website for Lee Valley Tools and the copper tape
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...t=2,51555&ap=1

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Hmm pet hair? I'll deff give that a try since I groom my yorkie myself and hes very fluffy!
    Lynn49 and GoJays like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by improperganda View Post
    Hmm pet hair? I'll deff give that a try since I groom my yorkie myself and hes very fluffy!
    We did this when we had our BC, Tammy...all that under-downy fluff...and had no problem with slugs. Apparently they just get wound up in the stuff and it's curtains for them!
    Jenny is flat. No fluff=garden slugs.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    We did this when we had our BC, Tammy...all that under-downy fluff...and had no problem with slugs. Apparently they just get wound up in the stuff and it's curtains for them!
    Jenny is flat. No fluff=garden slugs.

Tuckers part husky and his hair is overflowing! I'll send you some! lol

Banned
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

hahahah I can just imagine opening that envie...

"Ohh whats this! .......oh..yay my dog hair arrived!!!!" Would get some strange looks from DH lol

Has anyone had success with using ammonia based repellent. I'll have to google and read up but if you treat in the early spring and use diluted ammonia its supposed to detract them or something of the sort. You shouldn't get it on the leaves though!!! just on the ground in a circle around the hosta in the spring when its coming up.

oh good god@!!! read up everybody!!!! http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...425321998.html
    there are slug eggs in the soil !!! yeeeeeeeeeep

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyne1 View Post
    Tuckers part husky and his hair is overflowing! I'll send you some! lol

Banned
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quoted from the website i linked above! ~^

· To destroy slugs, you can hand pick them and put them in a glass bottle containing about 2 inches of vinegar (acetic acid). The slugs die instantly. Liquid ammonia also is effective and even better because it creates nitrogen which plants love.

· You create "slugs baits" where slugs will be attracted to. Examples: 1) a carpet left on the ground near your compost pile; 2) a thick layer of wet newspaper again left on the ground in the vicinity of the compost pile (which is away from your hosta beds); 3) use Sluggo around each hosta and slugs that make it into the garden will be attracted to the Sluggo and when they eat it they die; 4) you sink a container filled with beer level with the ground. Slugs will enter the container and will drown. This beer setup can be also near the compost pile.
    · After a rainfall, slugs are forced out of the ground and you can see them all over the lawn; they travel over the grass at whatever attracts them first…or the most. Eliminate these loose slugs by spot spraying the lawn with diluted ammonia. Attach a container filled with ammonia to the end of the hose and adjust the outlet so that water will mix with the ammonia in a 1 to 10 ratio approximately. This method is fast and efficient and provides nutrient to the lawn.
    · After a rainfall is the best time to cut the grass. Keep it short. The new lawnmower picks up the grass clippings and may also suck in the slugs that were travelling on the grass.USING AMMONIA AS A TREATMENT (Best method)
    Irene, here is part of an article by Bob Olsen of the American Hosta society. This was in the Hosta Journal a few years back.
    Larry Clemmons, an accomplished hosta grower from Dubuque, had an almost slug-free gorgeous garden last year while many of his friends from nearby towns were being overrun. Unlike the beer and lightweight chemicals they were using, Larry was spraying the hosta once a week or so with a dilute solution of plain old ammonia. The slugs hate the ammonia and the plants love the nitrogen. He uses a regular inexpensive tank and nozzle sprayer and went over and down into each plant-and he has a lot of them. He sprays the hostas with a dilute (4:1 or even weaker) solution of water and household ammonia in the evening once a week-more often in the spring or with a lot of rain. It would take him no more than two hours a week and there were almost no slug holes. The folks visiting from Iowa City which was being inundated by mollusks were astounded by his lush foliage just a few miles away and many have adopted his system. Don

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information