User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Scammers calling..

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So I got a call from a guy (who could hardly speak english) claiming he was from an "operating system company" and would like to help me fix my computer as it has supposedly become infected with viruses. I asked him what operating system am I using? He told me Microsoft.. I said no! Guess again.. hes like Mac? I said nice try I'm not falling for your **** and go **** yourself.. and hung up on him.

Be careful!! Cant believe these scammers get away with this crap. I read a article recently people are falling for it and giving access to their pc/cc info.
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple, Guess, MAC Cosmetics, Microsoft
    etherealone, wolfwoman and es89 like this.
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    56 (100%)

oh wow! that reminds me of the jerk who tried to come into my house to give me a new water heater. i said oh, how about i look up your company on the internet and get back to you. he looked very angry.

the last guy from one of those hydro companies, well i got mad and slammed the door but i heard him muttering swear words at me as i did it.

i feel bad, as thats their job, but still.

thank for letting me know about this one... when it comes to computers, im not very smart!
    etherealone and wolfwoman like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thanx for the tip.

Trading Score
    16 (94%)

omg. thats horrible!
    if at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you...

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

You might enjoy the stories in this thread:

The Dreaded Computer Virus Call
    GoJays and Darth Penguin like this.

Friends don't let friends trade at max value

MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Glad I am not the only one that talks to those guys like that lol
    Last guy that came to my door tried to get into my basement to "check my hot water heater".....told him to **** off or he would need a cold compress.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I haven't had the hot water heater guy..that could be fun.....
    aussie likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    84 (100%)

I told the computer guy I have a Commodore 64... he didn't know how to respond.

I keep getting calls from some Indian guy trying to get me to sign up with Reliance Protectron home security, but when I called them to complain they say they don't telemarket. Needless to say, everytime he calls back (which is too often) I have some not very nice things to say to him. He really takes offense to it, but I take offense to being called repeatedly when I ask not to be. I know I could just ignore the calls, but they just keep calling back, so at least this way I can let off some steam and take all my day's frustrations out on him. Cheaper then a therapist.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I have had the hot water heater guy to my house. DH saw his id thing he had wrapped around his neck when he opened the door and before the guy could even speak he told the guy off and shut the door on him lol.
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Tue, Jun 5th, 2012 at 03:23 PM.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I have had the same computer call, and did the same thing. Normally I'm not rude to telemarketers, but I take exception for nasty scams like that one.

I actually did get a new water heater from a guy who went door-to-door 2 years ago, just before there started being all those warnings about door-to-door water heater scams. (I did it because he had photo ID and was from one of the major energy companies that operates in our area; he also asked me to call the company's phone number - that I found on the company's official website - to verify who he was) Our previous rental water heater was getting old and the pilot light had a habit of going out every now and then. The new one is way more efficient and costs about $1 extra per month.... I know some of them are scammers, but I guess I got lucky.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

Do what I do, say "hang on a minute, I was just in the middle of something" then put the phone down and go about my day. Usually I leave the phone off the hook for about 1/2 hour to an hour but one time I actually forgot and it was off the hook all day! LOL!

I can waste their time too.
    Natalka and aussie like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giddymonkey View Post

I keep getting calls from some Indian guy trying to get me to sign up with Reliance Protectron home security, but when I called them to complain they say they don't telemarket. Needless to say, everytime he calls back (which is too often) I have some not very nice things to say to him. He really takes offense to it, but I take offense to being called repeatedly when I ask not to be. I know I could just ignore the calls, but they just keep calling back, so at least this way I can let off some steam and take all my day's frustrations out on him. Cheaper then a therapist.
    I keep telling those guys I refuse to discuss my Home security with some-one who phones me up without checking thier records...

Honestly...why would I want to tell a perfect stranger my personal details....

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

The worst part is that these Scams work for some. Otherwise they wouldn't bother trying

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i had these ppl call last year. almost fell for it untill i was like wait a minute...... somethings off..... but luckily they havent called me at the new place... *fingers crossed*
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I have had this phone call several times and they are so adamant that we need their help, but I didn't fall for it. They become quite rude when you say no. I feel sorry for anyone that falls for it but I can totally see how some might.
    I have a rule that I do not buy from anyone that calls me unsolicited or shows up at my door. Unless you are a child and I know you, I'm not buying what you're selling.
    Jonesy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information