User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: frugal living-being self sufficient

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

Very wise to try to become more self sufficient. With gas prices going up, up, up....food is going to become much more expensive, or worse yet, food shortages. Food doesn't come from the grocery stores!!!
    anisa and walkonby like this.

Never stop learning... Big Pink's Avatar
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

A garden... sigh! I am jealous! I hope you get a great crop!
    anisa and traceywatson like this.
    “Give the world the best you have and you may get hurt. Give the world your best anyway.” – Mother Teresa

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

omg, yes I want to try canning!!!! I can hardly wait.....i want to start with hot water bath canning before pressure canning. I'm not over my fear that my mother instilled in me of the pressure cooker! I also want to make my own bread....my goal is to try making bread from scratch within the next two months! I CAN do this! Thanks for the encouragement girls! I thought I was going crazy with this need to really get back to basics! It IS so much fun!
    anisa, Chimmi, cheekysaver and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

How do you keep your patatoes and carrots fresh all year long? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket1975 View Post
    I have been canning and gardening for about 13 years. I have a HUGE garden as well as a greenhouse. I grow enough potatoes and carrots to last us fresh until the next year as well as all of our canned and frozen veggies (peas, carrots, beans). The only thing that I ever purchase to can is corn from a special part here in Alberta called Taber. It tastes the BEST! I have canned just about everything from beans to beef barley soup to apple pie filling to spaghetti sauce with meat. The one piece of advice that I have is be careful with butter. It can go rancid. Make sure that everything is sterilized and that all of your rims are wiped very clean. If any air is allowed to get into the jar the whole thing will spoil. There is so much satisfaction from growing a garden and then preserving the goodness for your family to enjoy all winter long. Have fun!!!
    anisa likes this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    67 (100%)

I remember being afraid of pressure canning as well! I quickly got over it once I realized how easy it is to use. A hot water bath will be great for a start though. You can easily make all your jam, pickles, salsa, just about anything as long as it doesn't contain meat. I too make my own bread. Haven't bought a loaf in almost 5 years! It's hard when you work a full time job and have 2 kids 8&6 to get everything done, but it can be done! I use my late Grandmother's bread recipe, with a twist to add lots of fiber and whole grains. It takes some practice to get good at breadmaking, but just like with a garden, it is so worth it when you are done!

As for the keeping potatoes and carrots fresh....my parents have a root cellar that we use, but this year my dh is making me one.
    anisa, walkonby, Chimmi and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

bread recipe please!
    anisa and traceywatson like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

great job & brag. We have fruit trees as well, it's been 3 years and nothing yet...patience is a virtue (lol). Also I do alot of canning, not pressure canning as I am too nervous....I don't want to blow up my house (LOL). I also do alot of foraging...getting things from the wild to make teas, jellies, salads, etc...there are alot of books out there on doing this but stay away from mushrooms if you decide to take this up as a hobby. Last year I made dandelion jelly and Lilac jelly both turned out fabulous. Keep it up - it certainly does pay off, great hobby and wonder_ful on your pocket book not to mention the personal satisfaction.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Banned
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

"So I have 1 pear tree that produces 4 types of pears and one cherry tree that produces 4 types of cherries!"

I salute you!!!!

( Now to get back to my little backyard garden. Just planted some red leaf lettuces, plenty of herbs AND noww for the tomatoes. Got about half in the ground so far, just made room for the others! I think gardening is one of the greatest uses of time ever. )

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

what an swesome thread.

now i'm hungry!
    Abby5 likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

very inspiring indeed. I've been thinking about growing my own garden ever since we moved in a house, but I'm afraid to start, I don't know where and how, but I think I'm going to start with something small. Great brag!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by babyluck View Post
    very inspiring indeed. I've been thinking about growing my own garden ever since we moved in a house, but I'm afraid to start, I don't know where and how, but I think I'm going to start with something small. Great brag!
    I agree ....I think it would be lots of work and water

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I also do alot of foraging...getting things from the wild to make teas, jellies, salads, etc...there are alot of books out there on doing this but stay away from mushrooms if you decide to take this up as a hobby.

Wow, we were just talking about this too! I'm totally interested

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    67 (100%)

So how did the garden come along this year? Did you get lots of canning done?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

My poor garden got hailed out in Sept. but canned over 30 jars of dills (usually 100 - and yes we eat them) 4 batches of saskatoon jam, 9 batches of rhubarb relish (yes we go thru this too) and 4 big batches of salsa. I have probably 70 hills of potatoes to dig yet and 2 1/2 rows of carrots. My family is a big help. I am going to pick up 15 farm chickens this weekend that along with 6 mule deer tags should cut the grocery bill down this winter.
    ahazaras and redhdlois like this.

Frugalmom
    Trading Score
    108 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dagney View Post
    My poor garden got hailed out in Sept. but canned over 30 jars of dills (usually 100 - and yes we eat them) 4 batches of saskatoon jam, 9 batches of rhubarb relish (yes we go thru this too) and 4 big batches of salsa. I have probably 70 hills of potatoes to dig yet and 2 1/2 rows of carrots. My family is a big help. I am going to pick up 15 farm chickens this weekend that along with 6 mule deer tags should cut the grocery bill down this winter.
    You are amazing to accomplish all this. I grew up on a farm and my mom was always canning and gardening too. I love gardening but our soil were we have lived for the past 2 years is horrible. Lots and lots of tomatoes though this year!!!
    Open an account with Tangerine (ING) using my ORANGE KEY...29564343S1. When you open an account and deposit 100.00 you and I will both receive $25.00. Wait that's not all.....I will also send you 15.00 worth of coupons from your wishlist as a way of saying thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information