User Tag List

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: disability tax credit questions

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I have a question for you gals/guys,

My online account states that they are processing the dtc....
    I rec'd a deposit for CCTB & DTC for 2009-2014 states my son's qualifies BUT the online account is also is saying I owe them $, anyone else run into this.

I rec'd the statement of years and payments/deposits rec'd via mail after the deposit now I'm hoping that they can explain why I owe them $, they show an underpayment with a CR calculation and then an overpayment???
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I have a question for you gals/guys,

My online account states that they are processing the dtc....
    I rec'd a deposit for CCTB & DTC for 2009-2014 states my son's qualifies BUT the online account is also is saying I owe them $, anyone else run into this.

I rec'd the statement of years and payments/deposits rec'd via mail after the deposit now I'm hoping that they can explain why I owe them $, they show an underpayment with a CR calculation and then an overpayment???
    That is an interesting one for sure, we pay you money and now pay some of it back to us??? That doesn't make any sense.Hopefully someone at CRA can solve the riddle for you. Maybe it is like rob Peter to pay Paul or something along those lines???
    Insurance Graduate Class of 2014
    I need coupons big time!

What do you do with a elephant that has three balls? Walk him and pitch to the Rhino!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well I just arrived home from work (after 3 years of being off, I got work last week). To my surprise, there was a Service Canada envelope waiting for me. I was declined for the CPP Disability Pension. They said that with the recovery and the skills and education that I have, I should be able to work somewhere doing something. Well I guess they are correct since I did find work.

Still waiting for ODSP but I am not expecting to hear from them until September at the earliest. I doubt I will ask for a reconsideration of this, nothing is going to change with my situation anyways.
    I need coupons big time!

What do you do with a elephant that has three balls? Walk him and pitch to the Rhino!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

Sorry to hear that.

I am getting a bit nervous after hearing stories of people having to re-apply after it expires. I have to redo the certificate for both of my kids, with high functioning autism for my 7 year old (at least I assume it is him as well, as they backdated it 5 years) and my 11 year old who as well as high functioning autism, has ADHD, anxiety, OCD and a learning disability. I hope they qualify again. The physcologist who assessed both is resending out the infromation for me (they expire in January), so I hope it's enough time. They do well, but require significant support with therapies, tutors, etc that run me over a thousand a month, so that the bulk of that goes for there therapies. Also, if they are not renewed, what happens to their RDSP and does it affect their ODSP? I hope I'm stressing for nothing, but they constantly change things at revenue Canada.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Just wondering if I am missing something here...can you get both ODSP and The monthly disability from the government?
    Last edited by macw1960; Fri, Jul 25th, 2014 at 12:06 AM.
    Horndogg likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

strangely I applied for ds2 in April of this year and they are telling me I have to re-apply by January which makes absolutely no sense. It is also my understanding that children in autism spectrum qualify without a doubt in speaking with my account.
    i_forget likes this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    Just wondering if I am missing something here...can you get both ODSP and The monthly disability from the government?
    I started receiving disability after I went on dialysis (the transplant made me "healthier", but I had weird complications that make it impossible to work full time).

I'm on a combo of CPP-D and ODSP. What happens is that if you've ever worked, you will receive a monthly payment from the federal govt through CPP (CPP-D) but it is less than what someone on ODSP alone gets, so ODSP till top it up to make things even. One of the stupider loopholes (well, wide chasms is more like it) is that CPP-D is taxable income, but ODSP isn't.

I think you can earn $4000 while on CPP-D without having to pay anything back, the ODSP amount is less. I've been going through some health issues, so haven't been able to work in several months, but I was working 3ish hours a week for just above minimum wage (just to get out and get a little bit of $ to pay for internet) and ODSP didn't claw it back. I also got a "work allowance" (not much $ but every little bit counts) to help with wardrobe and travel costs.

As for the tax credit, it may not seem like it, but they've actually relaxed the rules and made it easier to get it than it used to be. A friend of mine with Cerebral Palsy had to all but do an obstacle course to prove that she needed assistance walking. Even then, she was denied the credit twice. Sheesh.

Hope this helps.
    macw1960 likes this.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

some of my patients receive both - CPP D and a small amount from ODSP so they can qualify for medical & dental. But not all provinces do that - my sister is on CPP D in Nova Scotia and she can't get social services her town but they pay for her medical and dental.
    macw1960 and CouponKitten like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post

I think you can earn $4000 while on CPP-D without having to pay anything back, the ODSP amount is less. I've been going through some health issues, so haven't been able to work in several months, but I was working 3ish hours a week for just above minimum wage (just to get out and get a little bit of $ to pay for internet) and ODSP didn't claw it back. I also got a "work allowance" (not much $ but every little bit counts) to help with wardrobe and travel costs.

As for the tax credit, it may not seem like it, but they've actually relaxed the rules and made it easier to get it than it used to be. A friend of mine with Cerebral Palsy had to all but do an obstacle course to prove that she needed assistance walking. Even then, she was denied the credit twice. Sheesh.

Hope this helps.
    I thought you could not work if you were on CPP-D. That is the reason that I got refused, I am not disabled enough not to work so I don't get it. At least that is how I interpret it. I know that on ODSP you can make so much before they deduct, like OW. I think the limits are different for ODSP too, at least the exemption is.

I wonder if it is "easier" to get ODSP than the CPP-D? I have seen many that are on it and looking at them, you swear nothing is wrong with them. I have troubles everyday, I would not be surprised to get turned down for that too. I got the DTC right away when I applied though I have not been able to take advantage of it yet because of no income. Go figure!
    macw1960 likes this.
    I need coupons big time!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

I'm not sure for adults, but my two kids who are designated get a fund called ACSD (assistance for children with severe disabilities) which is through or monitored by ODSP. They also get the CDB (child disability benefit) each month that is part of the Canada Child Tax Benefit.
    macw1960, ssbean and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by theweave3162 View Post
    I thought you could not work if you were on CPP-D. That is the reason that I got refused, I am not disabled enough not to work so I don't get it. At least that is how I interpret it. I know that on ODSP you can make so much before they deduct, like OW. I think the limits are different for ODSP too, at least the exemption is.

I wonder if it is "easier" to get ODSP than the CPP-D? I have seen many that are on it and looking at them, you swear nothing is wrong with them. I have troubles everyday, I would not be surprised to get turned down for that too. I got the DTC right away when I applied though I have not been able to take advantage of it yet because of no income. Go figure!
    It depends on how much you make. It hasn't been an issue for me, but that could be because I was on the combo disability CPP-D & ODSP) before I got my little part time job.

As for the DTC, it may or may not influence whether you get disability. I was on disability for years before I was finally approved for the DTC.

As for ODSP being easier to apply for, I actually had a harder time getting ODSP approved (lucky me that folks went on strike and lost my file). I *think* that if you are eligible, you have to apply for both ODSP and CPP-D.
    Last edited by Andit; Mon, Jul 28th, 2014 at 11:00 AM.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    strangely I applied for ds2 in April of this year and they are telling me I have to re-apply by January which makes absolutely no sense. It is also my understanding that children in autism spectrum qualify without a doubt in speaking with my account.
    If you are approved does CRA back pay you from the year the diagnoses was made or the year the doctor entered on the questionnaire?
    jasperandchar likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedasher View Post
    If you are approved does CRA back pay you from the year the diagnoses was made or the year the doctor entered on the questionnaire?
    they will back pay you, there is a spot on the original application where doctor indicates when condition started WHICH IS not necessarily the same as the date of diagnosis
    Angela273 likes this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

question. if you return to work, can you still apply for the DTC for the years you weren't working.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Does anyone have a copy of the questions that are sent to doctors for clarification? Or do you know where I could find a copy online?

Thank you!

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information