User Tag List

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: disability tax credit questions

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaLori View Post
    I called yesterday as it was exactly 8 weeks since they recieved my sons application in Sudbury and they informed me that the waiting time has changed from 8 weeks to 9 weeks. This is just to decide if approved, denied, or delayed.
    Just seen online today we are approved that was 4 weeks since they received the questionnaire from the doctor.
    Last edited by Bluedasher; Fri, Aug 22nd, 2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedasher View Post
    Just seen online today we are approved that was 4 weeks since they received the questionnaire from the doctor.
    I'm finding it to be a very long process (this is my second child). Although my doc send the form in early June it wasnt received on file till June 25th. so over 8 weeks now. I cant imagine how much longer it will be if it gets delayed. Last my older boy was approved and money back much faster. 8 weeks in total. and that was with the delay letter sent to my doc as well.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

[QUOTE=OttawaLori;6050254]I'm finding it to be a very long process (this is my second child). Although my doc send the form in early June it wasnt received on file till June 25th. so over 8 weeks now. I cant imagine how much longer it will be if it gets delayed. Last my older boy was approved and money back much faster. 8 weeks in total. and that was with the delay letter sent to my doc as well.[/QUOTE

Once approved @OttawaLori did you have your back pay? My says still processing but are eligible to claim. Does the information in refund come in the letter or found on the website?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Once approved did you have your back pay? My says still processing but are eligible to claim. Does the information in refund come in the letter or found on the website?[/QUOTE]

Yes it tool about a month, but i had sent in the letter to reassess if approved with the form. You can also do the reassessments yourself online. As long as you have the approval online.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Once approved did you have your back pay? My says still processing but are eligible to claim. Does the information in refund come in the letter or found on the website?
    Yes it tool about a month, but i had sent in the letter to reassess if approved with the form. You can also do the reassessments yourself online. As long as you have the approval online.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help @OttawaLori

Good luck in your process....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Questionnaire was mailed back to CRA Aug. 8. Today My Account status changed to

2004-2014 You are not entitled to claim the disability tax credit for XXXXXX

I don't understand. Her psychologist filled out the questionnaire which said DD was unable to or takes an inordinate amount of time in both judgement and problem-solving and backed it up in a letter. She has ASD, ADHD, Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder. What more do they want????

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Simcoe View Post
    Questionnaire was mailed back to CRA Aug. 8. Today My Account status changed to

2004-2014 You are not entitled to claim the disability tax credit for XXXXXX

I don't understand. Her psychologist filled out the questionnaire which said DD was unable to or takes an inordinate amount of time in both judgement and problem-solving and backed it up in a letter. She has ASD, ADHD, Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder. What more do they want????
    Did you personally see the questionnaire and the choice that your doctor indicated/chose? Because for mental function they basically are looking for answer C. Choice (b) says inordinate amount of time during stress and exuberation which does not qualify the candidate. And what's maddening is that you can appeal but you need to provide information that has not yet (previously) been submitted for further consideration. My son qualified from birth to age 12 and now we are now on our 3rd re-application since he turned 12 (age you need to re-apply when the child turns 12).
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Momof3kiddos View Post
    Question...we have approval for 2013-2019, but because our son was born with his condition in 2009, how do we get CRA to reassess back to then? Our doctor put 2013 as this was the year we received an official diagnosis.

Thanks guys 
    unfortunately date of diagnosis is as far back as you can go.. - It's tricky - for instance if your son had been born blind that would have been diagnosis right away therefore you would have received DTC right away - So why did it take so long for a diagnosis if it was something your son was born with?

I received backpay but CRA only went as far back as when my son was affected by disability because well that's what the credit is for - it's based on when affected and interference with daily living.. I imagine few get through with what you're suggesting.

It's been awhile since I've looked at forms but isn't there a spot where dr would have marked that in? If dr wanted to say that it had been ongoing from previous years?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So, I logged in to my CRA account today and this is the message I see:

2012-2014 You are entitled to claim the disability tax credit for XXXXXX.

My family Dr. just sent in the questionnaire last week. My questions is, what do I have to do now? And, also does this mean that I will be getting money from 2012 to now? I'm not sure if there is a difference between "Disability tax credit" and "Disability Benefit".
    Would appreciate any input any of you gals can offer Thanks!
    Bluedasher likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jgdmama View Post
    So, I logged in to my CRA account today and this is the message I see:

2012-2014 You are entitled to claim the disability tax credit for XXXXXX.
    My family Dr. just sent in the questionnaire last week. My questions is, what do I have to do now? And, also does this mean that I will be getting money from 2012 to now? I'm not sure if there is a difference between "Disability tax credit" and "Disability Benefit".
    Would appreciate any input any of you gals can offer Thanks!
    Firstly congrats

DB is a monthly allowance and DTC is a tax credit for your income tax (fixed amount for tax reduction).

Now You wait for the summary of entitlements (you can see this online once it's done but they will also mail you a copy) which will lay out exactly what month and years you are entitled to receive, you will receive the monies by either direct deposit or by cheque and it will all be clearly written out for each year and what they are given you. You may not get the whole years DB for example if only diagnosed or stated that it occurred say in the month of November (then you would only get 2 months for 2012) and you I don't believe will get the full tax credit for that year as only 2 months are applicable (things could have changed).

Once you get this letter of entitlement you then ask for your taxes to be re-assessed, write a letter along with a copy of the letter of entitlement.
    Bluedasher and jgdmama like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I called yesterday as it was exactly 8 weeks since they recieved my sons application in Sudbury and they informed me that the waiting time has changed from 8 weeks to 9 weeks. This is just to decide if approved, denied, or delayed.

I just called again and they told me that its in Shawinigan (which makes sense as it my tax center) and now it changed from 9 weeks to 10 weeks. how much you wanna bet next week it changes from 10 to 11. So if you tax center is there, be prepared for a long wait.
    Last edited by OttawaLori; Wed, Aug 27th, 2014 at 09:31 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Firstly congrats

DB is a monthly allowance and DTC is a tax credit for your income tax (fixed amount for tax reduction).

Now You wait for the summary of entitlements (you can see this online once it's done but they will also mail you a copy) which will lay out exactly what month and years you are entitled to receive, you will receive the monies by either direct deposit or by cheque and it will all be clearly written out for each year and what they are given you. You may not get the whole years DB for example if only diagnosed or stated that it occurred say in the month of November (then you would only get 2 months for 2012) and you I don't believe will get the full tax credit for that year as only 2 months are applicable (things could have changed).

Once you get this letter of entitlement you then ask for your taxes to be re-assessed, write a letter along with a copy of the letter of entitlement.
    Hi JasperandChar.......when approved I understand they will only pay you back for three years. CRA said I could request 2010 to be paid back. What do I state in my letter? Thanks

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Great news! Just found out this morning I am entitled to claim the DTC for my daughter from 2007 - 2014. From what I understand I'll be getting back pay for the CDB as well as for the DTC. As of right now it just says I'm approved.

Does anyone know approximately how long it takes them to calculate the back-pay and post it on your account?

Thanks everyone!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Congratulations to everyone who is getting approved. I haven't seen an update since August 7th when they said there is a delay. I check everyday to see if there is a change but nothing. ...does anyone know when they update online. And if approved before September 20th would you get the back money in September or October? I submitted mine since February/March.

thanks

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Did you personally see the questionnaire and the choice that your doctor indicated/chose? Because for mental function they basically are looking for answer C. Choice (b) says inordinate amount of time during stress and exuberation which does not qualify the candidate. And what's maddening is that you can appeal but you need to provide information that has not yet (previously) been submitted for further consideration. My son qualified from birth to age 12 and now we are now on our 3rd re-application since he turned 12 (age you need to re-apply when the child turns 12).
    Yes. I was there when she filled it out. She marked (c) for both problem-solving and judgement. We debated marking (c) for the first question as her condition is present all the time and she could blow up at any time, but decided to go with (b) instead. I'm going to write them a letter outlining how I've been unable to have full-time employment in order to have flexibility to pick her up when she has melt-downs and see if that gets me anywhere. I'm going to ask why a person with psychotic episodes who is only affected during these episodes qualifies and she doesn't, when it's basically the same thing i.e. inability to function.

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread Information