User Tag List

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: disability tax credit questions

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Does anyone happen to know what would happen if any refund you might receive (your initial retro pay) would push you over your allowable asset limit for ODSP? I doubt my husband would get that much back if he did but I hope it's not going to cause us more headache than anything.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Feb 18th, 2014 at 08:17 AM.
    TaraF and Insane like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    You are not eligible for your ODSP cheque for any month that you have more than $5,000 in your pocket (single) or $7,500 (couple). If that creates an overpayment scenario, 5% of your cheque each month is diverted to pay that off the overpayment. There is no interest on what you owe.
    Yup ..that's why people remove that much money from their account before hand ( expected refund ) and keep it in cash , if its ( refund ) going to make you exceed the ODSP limit of 5,000 or 7,500 .

Ofcourse illegal as the cash in your hand also counts towards the limit , but some do it anyways .
    TaraF and Insane like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

TaraF and anastasia1009 like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Important information for all to know, thanks guys. The best thing anyone on disability can know about that knows they will come into money though is a Henson trust.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

TaraF sent you a personal message
    TaraF likes this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Hi everyone,

I have dropped off the DTC re-application form at my doctors office for my 13 years old son. As some of you know you need to re-apply when your child turns 12. We did re-apply in December 2012 when my son turned 12 but we were denied as our family doctor at that time (no longer our gp) under played the effects of learning disability (communication learning disability) and ADHD and said that they were not present 90% of the time which is absolutely untrue. So the forms as mentioned are now with our new gp and I provided him with my son's IEP, Psychological assessment and letter from my son's resource teacher so fingers crossed all forms are filled out properly and fully and we are approved.

For those of you that have recently applied for your child 12 and over with ADHD and learning disabilities how long did it take to get a letter of acknowledgement, letter of approval or denial? I know each tax centre is different but just curious, thanks
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

jasperandchar, recieved and replied, thank you.

I hope I didn't screw up the taxes. *gulps* I filed joint via Turbo tax leading off with my husband as he had a working income last year and he also is the one who has a DTC even though we are both on disability. (I never thought to apply lol) I went to file via netfile and his goes through fine, mine however gave me the following error:

Tara: You have claimed a transfer of your spouse or common-law partner's disability amount. The CRA must have a valid Disability Tax Credit Certificate (form T2201) on file for you for your spouse or common-law partner. If you do not have your spouse or common-law partner?s form T2201 on file at the CRA, or if the CRA has requested a new certificate for your spouse or common-law partner, you must mail your return with this form. If this situation applies and you have trouble sending your return via NETFILE, contact the NETFILE help desk at 1 800 714-7257. Speak with a Resource Officer to ensure that a current T2201 form is on file.
    Note: To claim a disability credit you must have a certified T2201. In order to NETFILE, you must be the designated recipient for the credit (including transfers). For more info visit the CRA site here.

How is this done? Can he do it over the phone, is it a form that gets sent in? I hate tax time.

*Edit* Found my answer: Netfile was really helpful and spoke to us over the phone and it will be corrected/updated in 48 hrs. Just an FYI for anyone that may run into the same thing, call them and they can fix it.
    Last edited by TaraF; Fri, Feb 14th, 2014 at 10:49 AM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Glad I found this thread . I applied dec 2013 for my 2 1/2 deaf daughter, she has hearing aids but her hearing condition is so weird if flacuates where one week she is completely deaf tot he next she can hear some. She can not talk, even with her hearing aids on and currently can not hear from her one side with a hearing aid . Well the speech pathologist signed the form, since her audiologist said they are very picky with hearing . I'm happy to report she got approved

i also have a severely ADHD son and currently waiting to get him tested for other disabilities. I applied for him 2 years ago and was denied but plan on trying again for him. As now we are noticing a lot more issues with him . Anybody have any suggestions who I should be getting to fill out the form , I am currently waiting for a phyic evulation , and a new pedi .
    Insane and jasperandchar like this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

if your son has a Physciatrist that would be best. if the ped. doesn't know him well enough yet.
    good luck.
    jasperandchar likes this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

How long does it take for them to do the reassessment? I sent in the request for CRA to reassess my husband and my previous tax returns (2010, 2011, 2012) I got a letter saying they received the request Jan 15 2014. Just wondering how long it normally takes.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angee View Post
    How long does it take for them to do the reassessment? I sent in the request for CRA to reassess my husband and my previous tax returns (2010, 2011, 2012) I got a letter saying they received the request Jan 15 2014. Just wondering how long it normally takes.
    My hubby spoke to someone yesterday because of a different issue (gotta love Government) and decided to ask about his reassessment as well and they said they received his request for reassessment on February 10th and it takes 6-8 weeks so he should expect a response mid April. If you are concerned though you could just call them and ask.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks I was planning on waiting to call until 8 weeks had past before asking about it. I just thought I would see how long it took for everyone else.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just got approved this morning for my son's Disability Tax Credit (Asperger's) Wondering what information needs to be included in the letter requesting re-assessment. His form was dated to say his impairment started at birth (2006)

Will look into the RDSP now - anything else I should check? Thanks!

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information