User Tag List

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: disability tax credit questions

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by nsredneck View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. But it looks like it's full of very knowledgeable people. I was wondering if anyone could tell me, once approved, what timeframes people have experienced before recieving their refunds for the retroactive amounts? The DTC for my daughter was approved in December, and I've been told I would be recieving the automatic retroactive amount (2 1/2 years) for the CDB in February. But I'm interested in finding out what others have experienced for processing time, as relates to the other part of the retroactive credit for the CDB, and also for the reassessments of the 10 years tax returns for the DTC amount itself? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Did you ever get this sorted out? I sent a letter requesting re-adjust for previous tax years early January, got a letter over a month later that said they received the information and will let me know the outcome. I was thinking 6-8 weeks from the time I sent the letter, but if it sits unopened at the CRA for a month I really hope its not 6-8 weeks from the time they get around to opening the letter!
    jasperandchar likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Mailed my son's dtc forms on Tuesday, the new doctor filled them out completely truly & properly no he should get approved, so fingers crossed & hold our breaths and wait.

Can anyone provide me with their most recent turnaround in receiving a letter of approval back, I`m hoping 4-6 weeks.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ghrkin View Post
    Just got approved this morning for my son's Disability Tax Credit (Asperger's) Wondering what information needs to be included in the letter requesting re-assessment. His form was dated to say his impairment started at birth (2006)

Will look into the RDSP now - anything else I should check? Thanks!
    make sure that CTB (child tax benefit) knows you have been approved for DTC as you will receive more on a monthly basis.

PS just wondering when you mailed your application or how long it took to get your approval letter, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Thu, Mar 13th, 2014 at 07:10 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

its been 8 weeks since I sent the letter for re-adjustment (i was already approved for the DTC, that took 8 months because they were backed up when I applied a year ago) I called CRA today and they basically said 6-8 weeks on average, couldn't tell me anything further (the cra agent wasn't able to tell me the status of my pending DTC refund??) What is most frustrating is they didn't send a confirmation letter of receiving my request until 1 1/2 months after I sent them the letter...now Im thinking 6-8 weeks from the time they "confirmed" receiving it...making it more like 14 weeks. I sent it back in January to avoid tax time, i guess that didn't make a difference.

So, all-in-all the turnaround time was about 1 year. How's that for speedy service!
    Last edited by mmoddey; Thu, Mar 13th, 2014 at 07:40 PM.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

up

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Its important to realize that the condition you have is not what qualifies you for the DTC. CRA's guidelines state that you need to administer at least 14 hours per week of life sustaining therapy. Of course the first thing to mind is someone who is severely disabled who requires constant care, but in reality things such as insulin dependent diabetes or severe asthma can satisfy the criteria for being approved. It all comes down to discussing with your doctor a detailed log of the activities you do that constitute life sustaining therapy, as defined by the CRA. you can find detailed information on their website or just by searching.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

thats a really interesting point.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

well, after seeing "reassessment in progress" for my previous tax years on my cra account for the last 2 months, today it says nothing?? it doesn't say reassessed or any new information, which makes me think CRA found a T not crossed properly and will make me do it all again!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello

I also have a daughter with ADHD, multiple learning disabilities, oppositional defiance disorder, general anxiety disorder, and brain wave issues. We were just approved today for the DTC.
    Wondering what I should include in the letter asking for adjustments to my income tax going back 10 years, do I also send one to CCTB? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    jasperandchar and Bluedasher like this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

Hi Rhonda. All you need to do is send a letter to the CRA (with a photocopied) copy of your approval letter, with a request stating you'd like them to reassess your taxes back to ie 1999. they do all the rest.
    the info I include was my childs full name, date of birth, SIN and any other imperative information about them.
    jasperandchar and Rhonda119 like this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello My 11 yr old son is dx with ASD, ADHD, and a severe learning disability. And he was denied the first time, I appealed the decision, and he was denied again. They said reason being that his impairment isn't prolonged and markedly restricted. Yet his ped gave his dx AND his yr of birth on the initial application as the yr it began. Obviously they can't read because everything was right there from the jump. This upset me a great deal and took mths to even get a reply from them. And now his psych filled out a brand new app n they're now telling me its a 4-6 mth wait. Wth is going on? I'm scared they're going to deny him again

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

mailed my son's dtc application which was rec'd on March 18th and I call once a week to request an update and they said that I will have a reply by May 13th which is 8 weeks from when rec'd. Our application has yet not been assigned but I am told I will receive a reply by the 13th unless they need to send a questionnaire to the doctor to who filled out the forms.

After speaking with another RCA agent this am I was told that only if information is lacking will they send out a questionnaire. Our previous doctor filled out the paperwork and it was denied because she did not indicated my son was remarkedly restricted with his learning disability & severe ADHD but our new doctor indicated remarkedly restricted and was very thorough and used my son's IEP (individual education plan), his pshycological assessment a letter from my son's resource teacher and everything else under the sun.

So at this point I will still continue to call weekly to get updates but it sounds like a waiting game.

If you use an accountant for your income tax they will glad do up the letter and mail out to CRA on your behalf that is what we have done in the past.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi everyone ! I am new to this site..like an hour or so new lol. I have been reading over the posts in here and must say now I am worried about applying for this for two of my children. I think I have now began to over think this entire process and want to hide in a corner. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would really appreciate it. My doctor has filled out one and psychologist another. I will add this is the first time the psychologist has ever done one and I noticed its not completed so have put a call back into her. That part Im not sure how worried I am but also noticed that she didn't put the things I thought she would. Im not to sure how much I should say to her in regards to this ? As for the one the doctor filled out, I dont really know if that says anything other then the diagnosis and that it affects his school and will affect employment. To me , that really doesn't say anything . Then theres the whole thing about the part that I fill out where it asks about the regular and consistent support , well heck , how much do i say and what do I say for that ? They are teens and I tend to their every little thing like most parents do .

Oh wow , I am ranting …sorry . I am just sooooo confused and now wonder if i should be getting professional help to file these papers. Please help me if you can .
    Thank you so much in advance

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I sent you a personal message Momtofive!
    Momtofive likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you jasperandchar ! I have read it and just responded to you

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information