User Tag List

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: disability tax credit questions

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by theweave3162 View Post
    Got it, I will check. I recall telling my dad to claim the thing but I am not sure that he ever did. I am pretty sure CRA already told me that he could claim me as I was living at home and not paying any room nor board. I was living for free (wish I still was). It will be one thing getting him to claim it, another thing to get the money out of him!!!

-------
    To the person that wrote earlier saying about the questionnaire, I got lucky because my doctor asked ME what he should put down! I got approved right away. To anyone sending anything to CRA, make sure you copy it and copy it again! My first Disability Tax Credit application never made to CRA or they lost it, pick one. I had copied it and sent it registered so I got a signature. Two weeks later I was approved. Make sure you cover your butt so you do not have to go back to the doctor and pay more for forms!
    99% of the applications that are rec'd by RCA follow up with a letter of clarification to the doctor and questionnaire, was a questionnaire sent out or maybe your disability is one that is straight forward (no offense if there is such a disability) and age being an adult most likely helps.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I am only on page 2 and really do not want to read until the end right now... .so... I am going to jump in here. (don't throw tomatoes please!)

After my car accident in 2011 I applied for the DTC. I got approved first time. That should be good news right? Well no not exactly in my case. I have not had a spot of income since than. My income tax is $0. No where to use the deduction. Am I missing anything here? Being in my 40's, I can't get my dad to claim it, I was not a dependent. Well I think I was, he was not charging me anything to live. But to CRA, probably not from what I read. Is there any way to get money back? I can go back until 2011, however that is the year of my accident and my bankruptcy (so I don't get the refund from that anyways). What about the other 3 years? I didn't bother claiming it on my tax returns as I didn't think it would make a difference.
    If you were in a car accident which has left you unable to work, you are still within your rights to go back to your insurance company for compensation, none of my business but make sure that DTC as well as your doctor are aware that you are disabled due to an automobile accident as that in itself could come back and cause you grief as the gov't never wants to pay when another form of compensation is responsible. RCA (DTC) could come back and ask for the amounts paid out to be repaid, just putting this out there, not wanting to cause problems just stating information & facts that may have not been considered.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    If you were in a car accident which has left you unable to work, you are still within your rights to go back to your insurance company for compensation, none of my business but make sure that DTC as well as your doctor are aware that you are disabled due to an automobile accident as that in itself could come back and cause you grief as the gov't never wants to pay when another form of compensation is responsible. RCA (DTC) could come back and ask for the amounts paid out to be repaid, just putting this out there, not wanting to cause problems just stating information & facts that may have not been considered.
    No worries, that is all covered. I sued my own insurance company and settled out of court. My disability is permanent and CRA is aware of it. I have applications in for ODSP and for CPP Disability Pensions. Should hear from both in the next three months or so. Both have confirmed they received it. My forms all mention the car accident. If you saw my car, you would wonder how it is not a death benefit. But it is a disability! I am hoping I get both but am ready for the appeals if they don't.
    Insurance Graduate Class of 2014
    I need coupons big time!

What do you do with a elephant that has three balls? Walk him and pitch to the Rhino!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

No worries, that is all covered. I sued my own insurance company and settled out of court. My disability is permanent and CRA is aware of it. I have applications in for ODSP and for CPP Disability Pensions. Should hear from both in the next three months or so. Both have confirmed they received it. My forms all mention the car accident. If you saw my car, you would wonder how it is not a death benefit. But it is a disability! I am hoping I get both but am ready for the appeals if they don't.
    well glad you survived and it sounds like you are well aware & organized which is good. best of luck with CPP & ODSP.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

well glad you survived and it sounds like you are well aware & organized which is good. best of luck with CPP & ODSP.
    I had someone watching over me that is for sure! If I get declined for one or both (gulp), I do not go down without a fight. I read my doctors forms for both, he has about 1 foot from a nursing home or one foot in the grave, pick one! LOL That is why I like him. He seems to know how to get their attention. Fortunately I read what he put and than redid some of my part to fit what he put in there. It is all true but the he worded is, in my opinion, a masterpiece! Now it is trying to survive on Ontario Works that long!!!! It will be worth it for 3 years of retro CPP though, ODSP is not retro is it? I am wondering because OW tells me that I have to pay money back if I don't get it or I do get it. One or the other, I will ask tomorrow when I go to see my case manager!
    I need coupons big time!

What do you do with a elephant that has three balls? Walk him and pitch to the Rhino!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

99% of the applications that are rec'd by RCA follow up with a letter of clarification to the doctor and questionnaire, was a questionnaire sent out or maybe your disability is one that is straight forward (no offense if there is such a disability) and age being an adult most likely helps.
    That is our hold up is this questionnaire. Apparently two have been mailed to the doctors office and they say they never received them. Not sure what the big deal is to have it mailed to me and then i bring it to the doctor.
    jasperandchar likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I had someone watching over me that is for sure! If I get declined for one or both (gulp), I do not go down without a fight. I read my doctors forms for both, he has about 1 foot from a nursing home or one foot in the grave, pick one! LOL That is why I like him. He seems to know how to get their attention. Fortunately I read what he put and than redid some of my part to fit what he put in there. It is all true but the he worded is, in my opinion, a masterpiece! Now it is trying to survive on Ontario Works that long!!!! It will be worth it for 3 years of retro CPP though, ODSP is not retro is it? I am wondering because OW tells me that I have to pay money back if I don't get it or I do get it. One or the other, I will ask tomorrow when I go to see my case manager!
    I don't know anything personally about ODSP so I cannot comment on that but I wish you luck. But I don't think that you can get both ODSP and Ontario works but I may be mistaken as I believe they both are social assistance but like I said I don't know anything personally about either 1st hand. You would only have to pay back OW once you are approved for CPP but don't quote me (lol).

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedasher View Post
    That is our hold up is this questionnaire. Apparently two have been mailed to the doctors office and they say they never received them. Not sure what the big deal is to have it mailed to me and then i bring it to the doctor.
    The questionnaire is what slowwwwws everything down and they are not realistic choices for the doctors to be thruthful, I would call again and request that you receive the questionnaire to forward to the doctor because for whatever reason it is not making it's way to the doctors office, if they say no ask to speak to someone else who has some klout

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

you can't get both. but ODSP is retroactive. good luck weave!
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The questionnaire is what slowwwwws everything down and they are not realistic choices for the doctors to be thruthful, I would call again and request that you receive the questionnaire to forward to the doctor because for whatever reason it is not making it's way to the doctors office, if they say no ask to speak to someone else who has some klout
    Called CRA again today, wasted another 25 minutes. Did not get anywhere on the phone. They wanted to review doctors address....I've already done that the last phone call. I was told last phone call that an agent from CRA would call me that hasn't happened.

Any suggestions.....should I request the questionnaire to be mailed to the doctor the third time. CRA states the questionnaire cannot be mailed to me as it's "confidential"?? Thanks in advance

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Called CRA again today, wasted another 25 minutes. Did not get anywhere on the phone. They wanted to review doctors address....I've already done that the last phone call. I was told last phone call that an agent from CRA would call me that hasn't happened.

Any suggestions.....should I request the questionnaire to be mailed to the doctor the third time. CRA states the questionnaire cannot be mailed to me as it's "confidential"?? Thanks in advance
    CRA this afternoon called me back ....it is no longer their practice to mail the questionnnaire or clarification letter to the "tax payer". I am still in limbo as we wait for a solution on how this form can get to the doctors office. If this process is delayed too long my childs claim may be denied?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Bluedasher, I have no experience with this, but I wonder if it would help if you contacted you MP.
    Natalka likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't know anything personally about ODSP so I cannot comment on that but I wish you luck. But I don't think that you can get both ODSP and Ontario works but I may be mistaken as I believe they both are social assistance but like I said I don't know anything personally about either 1st hand. You would only have to pay back OW once you are approved for CPP but don't quote me (lol).
    You are correct, you cannot collect OW and ODSP at the same time. However, since I am not on ODSP, I can get OW. It is the stop gap until you get approved. The only time you pay back OW is if you have exceeded your asset exemption of $2500 and used the exemption of $5000. If you get approved for ODSP than you don't owe it because it didn't make a difference. If you get ODSP, you repay OW, but you get retro for ODSP or something like that. No wait, it is the other way around. If you do not get approved, you have to pay back OW because you never should have received the exemption as it is only an OW exemption. I remember now because I asked my worker what they do if you don't have the money and you owe for OWXso many months. He said they have their ways (I am picturing death threats, broken legs, toenails ripped off). It won't matter to me as I am under the asset limit now, apparantly you can recalculate it. I have done so and I am under so Iwill send that in.

All I know is, I want off this social assistance merry go round because I am not enjoying it! LOL
    I need coupons big time!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

CRA this afternoon called me back ....it is no longer their practice to mail the questionnnaire or clarification letter to the "tax payer". I am still in limbo as we wait for a solution on how this form can get to the doctors office. If this process is delayed too long my childs claim may be denied?
    Okay I erased my dry sense of humor, it wasn't humor after all.

I know nothing of a questionnairre or letters, maybe because I was approved first time or maybe they are new? One thing I do know of Canada Revenue Agency (don't call them Revenue Canada, they get upset a bit! True story), the story can change depending on the agent and 2) They are not perfect. Example: I went bankrupt in 2011. A couple of months after my discharge, I got a letter from CRA saying they were auditing a home tax credit I used a few years prior. If I were responsible for that, I would have owed them over $8000 more! I phoned the number on the letter and talked to the guy who had sent it. I mentioned my bankruptcy and he said "Oh, I did not realize you went bankrupt. Hold on." He put me on hold for a couple of minutes and came back and said:

You are about to hear something you will never hear from a government agency again, "I screwed up."
    I giggled and said "Really? How?". He told me that the bankruptcy wiped everything out, tax debt and all. I was free and clear!!!!!!

My point is, keep going and keep fighting. Try the free legal clinics near you. They will help on Appeals and stuff, I don't know if they would help on this but it would be worth a phone call. I never give up. If they tell me 30 days for a reply, I call on day 31, 32,33,34,35,36... they get tired of you calling I think and push it through to get rid of you!!!! Maybe not but it seems to work for me!
    Last edited by theweave3162; Tue, Jul 15th, 2014 at 08:14 PM.
    I need coupons big time!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Thank you for calling Revenue Canada. For service in French press 1, for service in Punjab press 2, for service in Chinese press 3, for service in Farsi, press 4 to speak to someone who knows English and is in Canada, please hang up and call again.

Next menu: If we have lost your DTC application, press 1. If we have lost your DTC application more than once, press 2. If we have goofed up your application for DTC, press 3. If we really goofed up and mailed it to Mongolia, it will get back here by the next courier donkey.

If you are waiting for your Disability pension application to be approved and are still breathing, please hang up and call back when you are not. IF you are waiting and not breathing, your application will be approved within the next 75 years. If you are in need of more cat food to eat because that is all you can afford, save money and buy Meow Mix in bulk!

THAT is the new RC phone system!
    I'm sorry but you might trying to be funny but you shouldn't make light of other peoples situations as you don't know their circumstances and this may seem funny to you but it's not appropriate in my opinion.

not trying to offend you weave but she is looking for answers not funnies and this is offensive as a human being regardless of my or other peoples races/cultures.
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Tue, Jul 15th, 2014 at 07:20 PM.
    Tinkerbella likes this.

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information