User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Damaged PS3

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Hi everyone. This past Sunday I redeemed my points for a PS3 as a surprise for my spouse for Father's Day. When we got home, we noticed that the console itself was damaged. We tried exchanging it at SDM but they told us that they will not exchange electronics. There was no sign saying this nor did anyone notify me when I purchased it. They told me to contact Sony and they stated that Shoppers had to exchange it and there would be a charge if we send it back to Sony. I called head office and they told me there was nothing they could do. Has anyone had a similar situation like this? I'm super flustered and frustrated by this. My exciting surprise has turned into a colossal disaster. I don't know what to do anymore. No one is willing to help me so I thought I would turn to you guys and see if you have had a similar situation. First it was taking 8,000 points out of my account and now this. I'm losing faith in them rather quickly.
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart, Sony Style

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

They won't exchange or return it? Show me the policy where it states that! Such bad customer service I tell ya.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

The first step would be to start documenting EVERYTHING.

Who you talked to when, the date/time, was stated, confirming the content of the conversation with witnesses/email summary, etc.
    I have found that if you sound very organized and professional- some places will take you more seriously.

Here is a copy of the official SDM return policy.
    http://www.shoppersdrugmart.ca/engli...icy/index.html

• "Electronics

• Returns will only be given if original product is returned in the original sealed box in saleable condition with a receipt and within the 30 day return period from original date of purchase
      • In some instances you may be required to deal directly with the manufacturer."

It seems incredible that neither SDM or the manufacturer will make this right.
    Have you spoken directly to that store manager?
    Last edited by greencanuck; Tue, Jun 12th, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I've had a similar situation happen to me with the PS3 it was also damaged right out of the box. All I did was go in the next day and spoke with the Manager because the cashiers said they could not do anything about it.. He did an exchange for me.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

It is some individual stores ploicy that they don't return electronics. It doesn't seem any of those stores have it posted or tell anyone at the time of purchase.

Call Headoffice. I think they will help you.
    I know the one time I delt with a store the wouldn't do a return headoffice forced them too.

I think that will solve your problem.
    Otherwise call Sony Canada. Your PS3 does come with a warranty.
    carlyincanada likes this.
    Get free gift cards for amazon & paypal. I've earned $100's with the click of my mouse!
    Swagbucks: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/TremorKitty
    Superpoints is BACK! https://www.superpoints.com/join/5Gp...0VOe51KdfmpCzw

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks everyone for your input. I went to two separate stores, including the one I purchased it at. Both stated no they would not exchange it as it is against their policy. I spoke to the manager at the store I purchased it at and they said nope, call Sony. I called Sony and they said there's a charge for this type of service (which I thought was insane) as it should be covered under warranty. I proceeded to call Head Office and she said no, this policy is stated on this website. My problem with that is I was not informed at the time of purchase and nowhere is it stated in the store. She said she would forward my information to I think the district manager but I'm not holding my breath on that one. I just want this situation fixed and over with but will keep fighting my fight to get what we rightfully deserve. A simple exchange is all I want!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Keep calling headoffice. That is absolutely rediculous.
    Where on their website does it say no returns? And what if you don't have a computer?
    If it doesn't say it on the receipt then they can't just make it up.

Did you happen to pay the difference with your credit card? You can file a complaint with them too.

EDIT: Post on their facebook and see what they have to say about it?
    Last edited by sarajk; Tue, Jun 12th, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
    Get free gift cards for amazon & paypal. I've earned $100's with the click of my mouse!
    Swagbucks: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/TremorKitty
    Superpoints is BACK! https://www.superpoints.com/join/5Gp...0VOe51KdfmpCzw

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

How awful! Another tact that I might try is to ask Sony if you can exchange it at a Sony store (if there's one near you) or at another retailer that would act as intermediary on Sony's behalf. It's wrong of them to assess a charge to replace something that's broken before you even opened the box and they're as much to blame as SDM in my mind.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I actually did pay the difference with my credit card. I never thought of that. Thank you. To add insult to injury, we decided to hook it up tonight to see if it would work despite of the damage. Well, it has been used. There's a username on it, which is actually a well known street gang out here, as well as very offensive content. Movies, music etc. So for a company that does not do returns or exchanges on electronics, how did I get a used item with content already on it. So $249.99 got me a broken, used product with offensive content. I am furious. I will contact head office again in the morning and make it public on Facebook if need be.

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

omg !! "ellaboo" I'm soooo sorry to hear that .. Why dont you go back to SDM and tell them it has been used ! and show them ! wow I will be sooo pissed AS WELL!! somenthing must be done !! hope you can get everything sort it out!
    Happy Shopping !!

Trading Score
    141 (100%)

curious how long it was sitting at sdm b4 resold to you... i am pretty sure you should be able to check this out as i think any thing changed or saved should have a creation date... munch like a pc files

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ellaboo View Post
    I actually did pay the difference with my credit card. I never thought of that. Thank you. To add insult to injury, we decided to hook it up tonight to see if it would work despite of the damage. Well, it has been used. There's a username on it, which is actually a well known street gang out here, as well as very offensive content. Movies, music etc. So for a company that does not do returns or exchanges on electronics, how did I get a used item with content already on it. So $249.99 got me a broken, used product with offensive content. I am furious. I will contact head office again in the morning and make it public on Facebook if need be.
    OMG, the EXACT thing happened to me! I bought it for a friend for his birthday and a few days later he asked my husband if we had gotten a good deal on kijiji for it. My husband told him we bought it brand new and he said it had been used, someones profile was on it, there was dust and fingerprints and the inside packages had all been opened.

Well, I marched right back to SDM (with the receipt) and demanded an exchange. They didn't want to do it at first but I told them that someone had used this one so it obvious that they DO accept returns on them. The manager took everything out of the bpx and spent 20 minutes comparing Serial numbers before finally exchanging it.

Hold your ground, you will get an exchange. Tell SDM HO that your kids wanted to use it and we exposed to graphic content from the last user and you are willing to sue... that should do the trick.
    carlyincanada likes this.

You found a coupon where?
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

When I worked at Future Shop, we had a similar incident on a computer, when the person brought it home it was obviously used and had offensive material on it. Future Shop wouldn't take it back so the person in question actually filed a complaint with the cops. I'd call them and see if they can do anything especially if you have children. Not sure what the offensive material is, but it might help if you think it could be related to a gang or something.

You could also call your local paper, they love stories like this.
    Last edited by camera_mom; Wed, Jun 13th, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
    Christa

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments. They are greatly appreciated. I took your advice of not backing down and finally head office said an exception will be made and they will take the PS3 back. I think it having been used and there being content on it is what changed their attitude towards this issue. I have now learnt my lesson about electronics at Shoppers.
    carlyincanada and SavenRaven like this.

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

I'm so glad they will be exchanging it for you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information