User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lynn49
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: Any PSWs here, can you tell me about your job :)

Trading Score
    205 (100%)

I recently graduated from a two year degree program for medical administration. I am looking for work but there isn't much around right now. I am toying with the idea of taking another six month course for a personal support worker since I would like to work more hands on with people than an administration position would allow. There seems to be jobs in this field right now. The main thing that is holding me back is that I have herniated disks and fusions in my spine. I am able to get around ok but I have higher pain days where I need to rely on stronger medications and I may walk with a bit of a limp. I wonder how physically demanding PSW work is, specifically in a long term care facility. Would you recommend this job? Tell me about the nitty gritty and what your worst day has been. Also, would it be unreasonable to expect $16-20 an hour to start if I get into a private nursing home facility? I really want to know if I can handle this before I spend all the money to take a six month course. I believe it is around $4000 at my local college, including books and costs. Thanks for the help
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    I am looking for quick trades for my pre-surgery stock up!

Updated TL/WL HERE

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

My Mother had a PSW in every day....it was rigorous and required a great deal of physical effort, and my Mom was a light-weight. At other homes she had to place very large, dead-weight patients onto a 'swing' and use a pulley-system to get them out of bed...we became good friends and the stories she tells about the job....she's an angel...I could never do it...emotionally, physically or any way at all. Good luck with whatever choice you make...
    sweetnlow30 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I'm in B.C.and have been doing this for 20+ years in a publicly funded facility setting,and can't speak to the wages and working conditions in ON.
    I would strongly discourage you from considering it based on your physical health issues -in B.C. you need a note from your Dr. saying you are physically able to perform your duties before being accepted into the training course.There is a lot of heavy physical work-often in a fast paced,high pressure atmosphere.If you already have days where you need strong medications to control your back pain,this would not be for you.......

Trading Score
    205 (100%)

Thank you. I am already battling with myself over this because my brain knows I probably can't handle it physically but my heart is in it and I really want to help people. I hate having so many restrictions put on my life! It has been that way since I was young as I was born with spine issues. Thanks for the insight ladies

Updated TL/WL HERE

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

I use to be a Health Care Aid samething different name back 14.5 years ago I made 15.00 an hour so wanting that rage in money not unresonable. I have been toying about going back to get my PSW but to be honest I didn't like night shifts or working Holidays lol. But the money just might lure me in one day lol.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetnlow30 View Post
    Also, would it be unreasonable to expect $16-20 an hour to start if I get into a private nursing home facility?
    Can't be of much help but I recently finished my work at a private nursing home and the PSWs started off at $12 an hour, and this was a well known and quite wealthy private nursing home. Also their jobs are physically demanding and they are constantly moving up to 8 hours a day. If you had a bit more time to spend I would suggest trying Social Service Work as it is a 2 year course.It might be more suitable for you because it is not as phyiscally demanding. Whatever you choose, good luck in your indeavors.
    Last edited by Snow Queen; Fri, Jun 15th, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Someone that I know who is in the field noted that hours fluctuate (depending on budgets/cutbacks etc.). If a PSW has issues that need accommodation, the hours go down fast and that can impact your ability to be working in the field. On top of tuition and books, you'd have some immunizations, background checks or first aid requirements to obtain, on your tab.

http://pswregistry.org/?page_id=1779
    There is this site that will maintain a database of PSWs working for publicly funded employers.

Is there any way you can put your medical admin. background to use in the insurance field? To help people determine health insurance needs or follow up on claims?
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Jun 15th, 2012 at 09:23 PM.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Is there any way you can put your medical admin. background to use in the insurance field? To help people determine health insurance needs or follow up on claims?
    Good suggestion. Some of the courses may transfer over and the insurance training time may be less.
    Also no lifting.

Trading Score
    205 (100%)

Thanks for the replies I actually had a chance to meet with a lady who is a PSW in the area and she doesn't recommend me getting into the field either. She went into the job with a perfect back and now she is having issues that may force her to find a new job due to the repetitive lifting and straining. I think it may be best that I stick with the admin for now. I am sure I will find something sooner or later. There were 20 grads for admin this year and not many jobs. I don't have a vehicle so I am forced to wait it out for a local position. Crossing my fingers!!

Updated TL/WL HERE

Thread Information