User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Apartment Air Conditioner- Not allowed according to lease :(

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Well I should have read my lease more closely. Air conditioners are not allowed according to my lease. It's been 31-34 degree's the last couple of days and the window fans just aren't cutting it when it comes to cooling. I forgot how hot Fredericton, New Brunswick can get in the summer

I wish I had noticed this clause when we signed the lease. I would love to have one of those little portable air conditioners right now, it's so hot . I probably would not have rented here if I had known about that clause. Sad but true, it just gets so hot. The window fan just isn't cooling the place down at all.

Any ideas on why air conditioners would be banned?

Keep in mind that I pay for electricity, and the building was built in 1984.

I can understand the window kind as they can look ugly and can be dangerous if not installed properly. I don't understand banning all air conditioners, as the portable kind are not much louder than a box fan (which are allowed) and are barely noticeable from the outside.

I've looked outside and I don't see any window air conditioners.

Do you think I could make a good case to be allowed a portable air conditioner? I would just like to use it during some of the really hot parts of the day. The poor cats are really minding the heat. The apartment heats up to about 25 degree's during the day. I've tried keeping everything shut and the blinds down, it makes it slightly cooler but not much.

-you could barely notice a portable one from the outside of the building
    -installation would not cause any damage to the apartment
    -I pay for electricity so it wouldn't have an effect on cost for the building owner
    -they are no louder than a box fan which are allowed
    -they dehumidify the air as well, so decreased chances of mold within the apartment
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by matrix82; Thu, Jun 21st, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i dont really think they can stop you from getting one or even put it in a lease.... as not having one could create health problems... ( asthma etc....) im not sure what a portable one is but couldnt you get the ones where you just put a tube in your window? i dont think they'de notice.

I think your best bet would be to ask the landlord and tenant act if your landlord can even do this.

http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/About_Us/STEL02_111278.html
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Yeah the portable one is the kind that just requires a tube in the window. I am just scared if I make that investment of at least $300, I don't want to then get a notice that I have violated my lease and be out the money spent on the then unuseable air conditioner.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Hon, regardless of whether you signed it or not, I'd call the landlord and tenant people and ask if that constitutes "inhumane" treatment of their tenants! I think it's reprehensible for a landlord to restrict them! I bet they have one in their home!!!
    UGH! Things like this just drive me batty!!
    Good luck!!!
    cath007 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Do you think it has anything to do with security? Would the a/c unit make your apartment more vulnerable to crooks? I've never used one of these before, is there any damage that could be caused to the building? If hardly seems fair to make you suffer in this heat, especially if you are paying for the electricity.
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

It was not mentionned in my lease...I never heard of a detail like this...my building is at leat 50 years hold...everybody have ac...in the window..but I put an ac portable one because the other kind was not fitting due to the old windows...they are greedy I am the only side they did not redid the window...so no this is not dangerous and this lease is....so ridiculous..excuse me for the word....I would wrothe down a letter with yours argue you made and they will understand...or they are not humans...you cannot prohibit these,,,imagine for the breath problem and old person....I cannot believe the owner said that in the lease...you have the right to have pets why not that,,,thats not making any dommage or so..........

And you will put down the installation yourself and the payment...so that not represente trouble for theirs...
    Last edited by cath007; Fri, Jun 22nd, 2012 at 01:21 AM.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

I can tell you last summer...I dont know how I survive ..at 2 floors...the container for pick off the water with the desumidificator is full because it was 37 with humidex today in QC!!!

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

The installation is the same thing as a dryer...the dryer is not dangerous when the air is evacuated properly...

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Even my cats are beside the ac right now lol!!!!They benefit too
    frugal50 likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Are you 100% sure that is what they mean? As an in the window one is also considered portable, as it can be moved around. I highly doubt anyone is going to consider the unit you are talking about as a lease violation.
    gone shopping!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

The wording is pretty clear:
    21. Except where provided by the landlord, the Tenants may not use air conditioning units, dishwashers or washing/drying machines in the individual apartments.

Outside of the standard lease form, there are 25 additional rules. My own fault for not reading all the rules, it's going to be a mighty hot summer though.

As for it being a security issue, I have a large wooden stick that i keep in each window so that they can only be slid open about four inches at the most when I am not here. I'm on the 7th floor.

I am going to go to the super and ask if it's possible to have a non-window style air conditioner like this type: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/haier-portable-air-conditioner-8000-btu/141937?trail=&fromPLP=true&ancestorID=&searchStrin g=&moduleName=Air+Conditioners&startSearch=&fromSe archBox=&addFacet=

Last edited by matrix82; Fri, Jun 22nd, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Of course, ask and get it in writing if he lets you.

Just so you know, the type of the one you left the link for still needs to be vented -
    Read the reviews and the explanations here
    http://www.amazon.ca/Haier-Portable-.../dp/B0037UVHZM

Also realize that the BTUs of a portable like that don't have the same cooling effect of the ones with the same number in a window one.
    If you plan on leaving it on all day without you home, that may not work, because sometimes they have to be emptied of water every few hours.

Good luck!
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

whenever your lease is over , i would get the hell out
    i'm in toronto and it's 10x worse here for the heat and humidity
    i live in an apt with a window a/c even that doesn't help much
    i would die without ac
    i tried a portable a/c before, doesn't work as good!!!!
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks for the link. I thought that there wasn't a bucket to empty . Looks like the portable units have not improved over the years. I used to have one years ago, but I found the bucket was a complete pain, it needed to be emptied every two hours.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

You bet your butt I would have an ac in anyway!
    They can't force you to be uncomfortable and possible suffer heatstroke!

Whats the worse that can happen? They take you to court? I'm sure any judge would laugh in their face for trying to enforce such a rule, in fact I bet it's illegal for them to tell you you can't have one! I'm gonna go look it up!
    If you pay your own hydro they can't say sh*t in my opinion!
    Lynn49 and cath007 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information