User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Cheap_Mama
  • 1 Post By bargain_hunter_lola
  • 1 Post By NickiB
  • 1 Post By Slaney

Thread: I have half a fence built. Where's the other half you ask?

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Well let me tell you.
    in May my husband & I decided we"re finally going to fence our front yard. There's no frence at the front but there is a fence on each side sperating our yard from our neighbours. Both wer rotten, the one side I was just trying to nail new boards onto it because that neighbour is an idiot so I didn't want to take it all down but it was in such bad shape I had to. The house on the other side is a rental & the tenants there last fall painted thier side of it & we wanted to be considerate so we called the landlady & asked if it was ok with her if we replaced it & that we would pay for it. She said that was fine so we bought all the supplies. Then I hurt my neck really bad the day I was planning on taking the old fence down & that night she comes to my house & tells me she likes the little fence that's there & we should save our money. We already spent $180 on supplies! Then she says she thinks it's hers cuz it matches her other side. We bought our house from a family member so we know it's ours. That & it matches only ours! Her other fence was built to look similar but it doesn't actually match. I even showed her how it's rotting & she says we can patch it. Why bother patching a 20 year old rotting fence!?
    Then she starts looking at the 6 foot boards in our yard (we're cutting them in half to make a 3 foot fence) then looked at the other side where I still had the new boards on the old fence before I realized that wouldn't work & I could tell she was assuming we were either going to make a 6 foot fence or nail new boards on.
    Then she said she's think about it & see how iit looked but we havn't heard from her again & it's been 3 weeks now
    Like I need to have a secure yard for my 2 little pugs so they have somewhere to be next year when we finish our back fence. And I don't want a mismatched fence with this nice new one.
    Now what do I do?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    I am currently looking for coupons for non parishable foods or grocery coupons good until December to help with Christmas food helpers.
    If you have any to trade please PM me.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

When you bought your house there should have been a property report that came with the documents from the lawyer. Ours has a drawing of the land that we own so we can look at that and see where our property lines are. You should see if you can find yours and see who's property the fence is on and if it's on yours she doesn't get a say anyway.

Sorry your going through this, what a pain!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Yup-find out where the lot line is,and put up whatever you want.You've done the neighbourly thing by seeking her input,and offering to pay for it all.Utimately, what you do on YOUR side of the line doesn't require her permission.BTW:it's against the law to move or tamper with survey pins,so they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

2 years ago we got the measurements from the city & measured & that fence is right on the property line but we know my hubby's aunt had it built. Also on thier side there's still a post where a fence used to be :/
    Also there's no pics anywhere in our yard. That or they're just not visable anymore. I never saw any pins in my mom's yard before either so I don't hold my breath we will
    I am currently looking for coupons for non parishable foods or grocery coupons good until December to help with Christmas food helpers.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The pins should be there. Over the years the grass grows over them and such so it may be a pain to locate them. My road is having new waterlines put in and the guys were out spraying the property lines and I found one my pin. It was about 8 ft from my road right beside the curb at my neighbours driveway.....under 3 inches of grass and dirt. The other one I am pretty sure is under my driveway.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Find out were your line is and put it up. You don't need approval. She doesn't like it, well than to bad. Your on your line of the property.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I agree with other posters, find out exactly where your property lies. If the fence is right on the line, why not leave it and install a new one on your side (hope that makes sense). Then she still has her fence and you have one you like that's new and will suit your needs. Everyone should be happy with that.

We have that on one side of our house. The neighbours have a little chainlink fence and then maybe a foot over on our side we have a big wooden privacy fence. Not sure how that came about, was in place when we bought the house but it works.

HTH
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    272 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    I agree with other posters, find out exactly where your property lies. If the fence is right on the line, why not leave it and install a new one on your side (hope that makes sense). Then she still has her fence and you have one you like that's new and will suit your needs. Everyone should be happy with that.

We have that on one side of our house. The neighbours have a little chainlink fence and then maybe a foot over on our side we have a big wooden privacy fence. Not sure how that came about, was in place when we bought the house but it works.

HTH
    Ditto to the above.. if you build your new fence completely on your side, you can block out the ugly fence, and she can't complain about you taking it down. (Although I expect once she see's your beautiful fence all finished, she'll take down that rotting one soon enough, but with her sweat and labour, lol!
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Good for you for keeping your yard looking good and for looking out for your dogs safety.
    Wanna be my neighbour?
    You would be such a great improvement over what we have to live beside. LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickiB View Post
    Ditto to the above.. if you build your new fence completely on your side, you can block out the ugly fence, and she can't complain about you taking it down. (Although I expect once she see's your beautiful fence all finished, she'll take down that rotting one soon enough, but with her sweat and labour, lol!
    I agree. At least OP will have a nice fence for the dogs. I don't understand the landlady's change of heart, especially since she isn't paying.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Even her tenant that's renting the house agree'd with us that it needs to be replaced. We ripped the fence down this weekend & we're putting up a new one wether anyone likes it or not. I thought about just building on on our side but why should I have to loose space on our side & in 20 years I don;t want to try to explain to someone they're both our fences lol
    Jezebel likes this.

Thread Information