• 2 Post By jessep13
  • 1 Post By GatineauGirl
  • 1 Post By c_mcarthur
  • 2 Post By hollyquaiscer
  • 1 Post By misstarbender

Thread: Winder Washer demanded tip

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just had my 2-story house windows windows washed, inside & out, not including the basement. I was surprised when he wanted a tip as I was paying him. Does anyone else think this is a little "over the top?"

I gave him $20.00 extra as a tip; I didn't know what else to do.
    This thread is currently associated with: Microsoft

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

was this a professional company that came to do this? because if so that is highly unethical and definatly should not be expected. If he had said that to me, he would not be too pleased when he left.
    Last edited by jessep13; Thu, Jun 28th, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
    matrix82 and hollyquaiscer like this.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

He ASKED for a tip?!???

Im not a fan of tipping anything unless I feel someone has provide me service that is above and beyond. I would've laughed in their face personally but I know there are others who believe strongly in tipping.
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Wow. If he was working for a professional company, I'd contact the owner and tell him about that money-grab. It's ridiculous to "ask" for a tip!
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Wow. If he was working for a professional company, I'd contact the owner and tell him about that money-grab. It's ridiculous to "ask" for a tip!
    Lynn49, Pinkypie, and jessep13...Thank you so much for your feedback...feel reassured now. I'm going to talk to the owner of the company, as suggested (if I can muster up the courage!)
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

if you dont feel comfortable calling the owner you could always try emailing.....
    Lynn49 and hollyquaiscer like this.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by jessep13 View Post
    if you dont feel comfortable calling the owner you could always try emailing.....
    Great idea, jessep13! Think I'll do that. Thank you!
    jessep13 likes this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I purchased a large item at CT a few months back, and they had a fellow bring the box out to my car for me. While walking out, he said to me "Yeah, sometimes people tip me for doing this. It doesn't have to be much, a buck or two is fine" WHAT??? I was shocked! I said thank you to him after he loaded it and then turned and got in my car. I couldn't believe he had the nerve to ask. I thought that as a stock person, that was his job, he brought the larger stock out for customers and helped them load it in their vehicles. Was I wrong?
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

We've had lots of contractors in our house/yard for the past month. Some of it is for one-year warranty work on the house. I keep the fridge stocked with Gatorade and iced tea for them and hand it out especially liberally to those working outside in the heat, and even to people working on the neighbour's house. I think we've gone through at least 40 Gatorades in the past month.

We do buy lunch (pizza, subs) for workers of companies we've hired who have to work here all day doing heavy work (movers, fencing and landscaping crews). The only ones we tipped were the movers ($20 each for four of them) because they were with us all day, went above and beyond, and don't get paid enough for the work they do.

I don't think a window cleaning would have taken more than a couple of hours? A cold drink would have been reasonable... so would $5... but a demand for a tip? Wow. Not likely to inspire repeat business for that company.

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hollyquaiscer View Post
    I purchased a large item at CT a few months back, and they had a fellow bring the box out to my car for me. While walking out, he said to me "Yeah, sometimes people tip me for doing this. It doesn't have to be much, a buck or two is fine" WHAT??? I was shocked! I said thank you to him after he loaded it and then turned and got in my car. I couldn't believe he had the nerve to ask. I thought that as a stock person, that was his job, he brought the larger stock out for customers and helped them load it in their vehicles. Was I wrong?
    No you werent wrong.
    I carry out stuff at my work for little old ladies or for mothers with strollers all the time, ive never ever asked for a tip and only received one once. lol good customer service is helping the customer to their car imo
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by c_mcarthur View Post
    No you werent wrong.
    I carry out stuff at my work for little old ladies or for mothers with strollers all the time, ive never ever asked for a tip and only received one once. lol good customer service is helping the customer to their car imo

Hey, who you callin a little old lady
    Patty Smyth and c_mcarthur like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hollyquaiscer View Post
    hey, who you callin a little old lady
    lol :p

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

We were in the States. We just returned a rental car. The guy checking the car in mentioned a tip three times.

We went inside to pay the balance on the rental car. We told them what happened with the tip discussion. They were shocked, apologized, said they would talk to him and gave us a voucher.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Boy, life could get pretty expensive if we were tipping everyone all the time!

The family-run Chinese restaurant nearby only does takeout and delivery. When a person goes to pick up from the counter, the Interac/Credit card terminal locks up if you don't enter a tip amount. You can't proceed with the transaction unless you enter a tip or have the cashier manually clear the tip option.

Of course, they also have a labelled tip jar on the counter that I regularly ignore.

Trading Score
    213 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    Boy, life could get pretty expensive if we were tipping everyone all the time!

The family-run Chinese restaurant nearby only does takeout and delivery. When a person goes to pick up from the counter, the Interac/Credit card terminal locks up if you don't enter a tip amount. You can't proceed with the transaction unless you enter a tip or have the cashier manually clear the tip option.

Of course, they also have a labelled tip jar on the counter that I regularly ignore.

always tip at a restaurant you frequently go to. They will come to remember you as the person that doesnt tip and start screwing with your food. I ALWAYS tip food handlers LOL you never know what they're gonna do....
    jessep13 likes this.

Thread Information