User Tag List

Thread: Tantrums...

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

When your child throws a tantrum in a store for say... a toy or a treat.

Do you buy the treat for them? Or do you yank them out of the store without it?

I ask this cuz where I work... it's really surprising how many mothers, fathers, grandmothers and grandfathers actually BUY the item the child is freaking for!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Absolutly not!
    I will not purchase anything for them if they throw a tantrum. But so far I've only had to deal with that once or twice with my boy. My girl has yet to throw one for something in a store.

I explain before we go in that it's just a "looking day". We can LOOK at the toys but we are buying nothing.
    But we do have "buying days" also. Rarely of course. But sometimes we'll say "you can buy something small today". Or you can get a treat in this store if you're good.
    That sort of thing.

So far that has worked for us. But then again... they are very young. LOL

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My oldest is going through this phase right now, she expects everything her way right now. I tell her I will think about it and that there is usually a special occasion near that they might get it for. We have just looking days too, then they get spoiled and we go to the dollar store and they get two things.

My oldest threw a fit in a store when I was in Ottawa with my mom and she took her right out of the store, she was about 4 at the time, Kenzie still tells me grandma was mean to her, so it must have stuck.

momof3
    When my kids get upset about something and keep badgering me or in that 3-5 yr old stage when they used to throw fits I talk over them and tell them when they are done expressing them selves we will talk about it in a controlled manner hence fine when u are ready to stop whinning at me we will talk about it. now they have both learned that if they throw a fit they don't get anything but if they ask nicely with a please then mom might be more willing to say yes!! They also know that they don't get rewarded for poor behaviour either.

Julie Andrews
    Thank God this has never happened (knock on wood). But I would NEVER give in to a tantrum- that is rewarding bad behaviour. The most Baby J. can get out of me with his tantrums is a cup of water.... I ask him if he's getting thirsty from all his screaming and offer him water 'because his throat must be dry'. I'm such a mean Mommy.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We have entered the age of Tantrums as well. Whoever coined the phrase terrible twos, obviously did not stick around for the three year old #-o

I don't give in and have actually left my full cart and brought him to the car. I don't have too many problems any more.. THANK GOODNESS!!

Thread Information