User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: Food Banks in Need

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

ON the news here 2 days ago was a piece regarding the foodbanks in Kelowna and area. The shelves there are almost empty. Very sad. The foodbanks in Calgary sent 32 huge bins (they looked like they were about 12 feet x 12 feet) packed with food to the Kelowna bank, Then from Kelowna it was distributed to the 6 other food banks (and they kept some) that are in dire need of food.

PLEASE, if you can afford even $2 or $3, use a few coupons and donate something anything. I have started a thread with a challenge for all SC members to see how much food we can raise for all our local foodbanks by spending just $10 plus coupons. If you would like to join in, please do. The first post has a running total of the food that together we have donated in the past week. I update it daily. At the end of July, we will see how much food our forum can donate.

It's sad that we seem to forget about the foodbanks and those that need our help most of the time. Christmas and Thanksgiving, they get donations, but they really need help NOW. I would like to send a big THANK YOU to all the wonderful people out ther that are doing what they can to help out.
    gracesmommy, DaveP, ssbean and 1 others like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

My BIL gave a lot to the foodbank in Kelowna unfortunately he passed away in April instead of flowers we donate $50 in his name for the Kelowna foodbank
    Last edited by YOU AND ME; Mon, Jul 16th, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    Not directed at just the person who mentioned it, but the food banks get a lot of expired food and it all goes in the garbage, along with dented cans.
    I read an article from the paper a few years ago, food bank users complained that most of the donated goods are EXPIRED or stuff that people no longer want or need .... at least I'm not the only person doing this, I was just being honest and forthcoming.... that said, i would never donate dented cans!!!! even thought grocery stores still stock them on the shelves to sell at 1/2 price.
    Last edited by frugal50; Mon, Jul 16th, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Trading Score
    182 (100%)

ok can someone explain to me, why dented cans are not good? i never thought of it, but now that i read it, i always check for them i guess i just don't like to buy dented cans

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_love_to_save View Post
    ok can someone explain to me, why dented cans are not good? i never thought of it, but now that i read it, i always check for them i guess i just don't like to buy dented cans
    If the dent breaks the seal on the can you can end up with food poisoning. Here's a good article.

We have been told for years that eating from dented cans is unsafe and should be avoided at all costs, Unfortunately, this is a common misconception that has lead to safe food being discarded and money and food being wasted. It is true that some dented cans are unsafe, but a majority of dented cans are completely safe to eat. Knowing how to tell if a can is safe to eat despite being dented can save you tons of money, either by shopping at a dented can store that sells dented cans for a fraction of the price or if you drop a can at home and it becomes dented. There are a few easy ways to determine whether a can is safe to eat or whether the can is better off tossed in to the trash.
    The number one way to tell if a can is potentially dangerous is to push on the top and bottom of the can. If the top or bottom of the can moves in any way or makes a popping sound, the can's seal has been broken and air has made its way inside. Popped cans should be discarded or returned to the store where they were purchased for replacement. On the other hand, if the can does not make a noise or move, it is most likely safe to eat despite any dents.

Another way to tell if a can is safe to eat is by simply looking at the can. If the can is bulging and bloated it is most likely unsafe. Cans will bulge and bloat when bacteria begins to produce gasses which push the can outward. You can also tell by looking at the dented can if it rusting. Rust can weaken the integrity of the can and allow air and bacteria to enter it.

Sometimes cans can be fine when they originally get dented, but after a period of time begin to display some of the above changes. So when buying dented cans try to avoid buying cans that are dented on the top or bottom of the cans. These are where the main seams of the can are located and where the can is it's weakest. Alternatively, if the can is dented along the side it is most likely safe to eat the food within.

The final way you can tell if a dented can is safe to eat is when you open it. Once you puncture the can with your can opener it should not spray or explode. If it does spray or explode do not eat the food within it may be contaminated. Safe dented cans will open the same as non dented cans.

Most cans become dented at the grocery store when being stocked onto the shelves and because most cans come in cases their degree of damage can vary greatly. Knowing how to separate the safe cans from the dangerous ones is an invaluable tool, especially as food prices continue to soar. Following these simple rules will make shopping for dented cans a breeze.

Sources:

Numerous interviews with the USDA inspectors and industry professionals.
    Last edited by DaveP; Mon, Jul 16th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I have to get on this!!! We're leaving in 2 days for a week, so if I can't get it done this week, I'll certainly
    get onto it the week we're back. But I'm hoping THIS WEEK!!!

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_love_to_save View Post
    I've bought dented cans before...mostly because I didn't notice in the store...I haven't died yet But yeah if it was heavily dented and I noticed I would pick up another can.
    i_love_to_save likes this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugal50 View Post
    I read an article from the paper a few years ago, food bank users complained that most of the donated goods are EXPIRED or stuff that people no longer want or need .... at least I'm not the only person doing this, I was just being honest and forthcoming.... that said, i would never donate dented cans!!!! even thought grocery stores still stock them on the shelves to sell at 1/2 price.
    okay but expired cans/food go in the garbage ... no one can consume that stuff thus the point of an expiry date. easier to just throw it out at home or check more frequently to ensure stuff isn't expiring.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Edmunton food banks

We're sure you're not ready to hear this but...harvest season is around the corner!

We accept donations of produce from the public at this time, we would love any extra fruit or vegetables (especially root vegetables) that you grew this year.

Exceptions would be baking apples, crab apples, and rhubarb for these items we encourage you to contact Operation Fruit Rescue.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information