User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: Costs for family outings :(

Member of rep ho-ing club kelly25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Okay so I know I’m a bit of a penny saver by nature but today I’m checking out local sites for rates on zoos ect.. and holy monkey balls its way out of line. A rate to get in then a rate for the activity card and then a rate per person per ride! Have they lost their minds!? So one day out with the kids would cost 200-300$ Am I the only one disgusted by this!? Gah, completely ridiculous.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by kelly25; Sat, Jul 7th, 2012 at 11:35 AM.

Trading Score
    182 (100%)

nope ur not the only one....
    hollyquaiscer, ninna and ssbean like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

yes it's gross but what can you do? We figure every time we go out as family of 4 a day will cost around $200 minumum. Last weekend Parc Safari entrance fee $120 (with a $10 coupon), food for the animals(bought at sami fruit) about $30 because it';s no fun without feeding them lol. picnic lunch still had to bring our own food ($30 ish), ice cream treat $5ish, tubing and rental of locker $10 and we didnt buy any souvenires

eta - Gas for the van probably $20

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Oh my goodness! I can't get over how much things cost for a family. We are just three- two adult and a 3 yr old. I have used airmiles for Toronto Zoo, wagjags for things in my area, but there is still always additional costs. We can afford to do one thing a month (if I can keep the costs WAY down!)

I bought a wag jag for a family of four (used a voucher from Icoke pins) for a small indoor amusement park in Toronto. When I got there I couldn't believe that a family pass was more than double the price. The family ahead of us was trying to figure out how many tickets to buy to avoid paying so much... but it was difficult for them.
    SFARAZ likes this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

It's horrible. We went to the zoo the other day. 2 adults cost $60 just to get in. Nevermind the gas and the parking, and the water so we don't die of heat. Seriously obscene. Then places like the museums wonder why they have no money. They'd get so many more visitors and make more money if they lowered the prices
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sat, Jul 7th, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Member of rep ho-ing club kelly25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Gramby Zoo takes air miles!!!! YAY!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I know it's expensive. We just could never afford to do those kinds of things. Of course, we felt badly for our son, but we still tried to find outings which were just a few dollars or free. Luckily by the time he was four, we were in a bigger city, so there were lots of things to do - just took more effort.

And, yes, we had to deal with him talking with his friends about all the amazing places, holidays, etc. they were going to and having - but he didn't suffer, it was just different.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kelly25 View Post
    Gramby Zoo takes air miles!!!! YAY!

There is a $10 coupon in the journal de Montreal this weekend.
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I think it's insane! They wonder why they never make money and talk about closing zoos and things like that...Well reassess what you are charging people! With parking, entrance, tickets etc it's just too expensive for most people to afford especially if you have more than 1 child.
    Giseledta and hollyquaiscer like this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

We have 3 children, 14, 10 and 7. In many places Penguinette 1 is treated as an adult...

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

yup, it is super ridiculous.

the worst place in my opin. is marineland. it is the poorest excuse for inhumane treatment of animals i have ever seen.

they care nothing for the animals, they just want to make a quick buck. they call the orcas 'killer whales' and that was where i was totally disappointed. such a money grab.

the toronto zoo is expensive, and then you have to pay extra to see their special animals. seriously? argh!

i love natural and historical museums, those will always give you the best bang for your buck.
    science centers and planetariums are always fun too.
    Last edited by anisa; Sat, Jul 7th, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

I have a family of 5..
    it is insane. aboustly insane.
    and don't get me starting on chraging for parking. really......
    I have never taken the kids to canada's wonderland. I really , really, really want to.
    I simply do not have 300.00 to take them.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Ugh. Yes. The cost of taking your kids to these types of places IS totally unbelievable. For us, it means that we do a lot less than we'd like and probably less than some of their friends are doing because we just can't afford it--especially in the summer when half my income disappears. (I'm a supply teacher). We typically end up doing free or next to free things more often than paid stuff- eg. picnic in the park, go to the beach, take advantage of the summer programs at the library, have wienie roast in the backyard etc.

Or, we do the paid things but we try to plan it super in advance so we can get the best deal-- that is, take advantage of groupons, buy passes for attractions at Costco instead of at the front gate to Canada's Wonderland, go to the drive in movies on Toonie Tuesday and have our own snacks, or buy a season's pass to Bingeman's water park (Kitchener) in October for the following summer. You can buy a season's pass for the cost of a one-day admission if you are willing to part with your money 9-10 months in advance.

I remember as a child being raised the same way by my own parents. We didn't do a whole heck of a lot and I can count on one hand the number of after-school or extracurricular activities I was enrolled in. Not gonna lie. There were times when I was envious of the other kids who went on big fancy excursions and extended luxury holidays. I didn't go to Florida till I was 21! LOL And sometimes, I worry that my own kids feel the same way when they compare themselves to their classmates. But in truth, it's just different, as natalka pointed out. Not better or worse. Just different. While my neighbours made memories with Mickey Mouse, I made memories traipsing though the woods with my sister with our boots caked solid full of mud and her telling me she was gonna phone the police on me because I'd picked a Trillium and they were a protected flower. LOL.

Yup. Not better or worse. Just different. And...I wouldn't trade it for anything!
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Just consider a night at the movies for 4....unbelievable.
    I have spent the last 2 days looking for inexpensive things to do with the family, we have a zoo close by ($80 for a summer membership 2 kids, 1 adult, ), the museum is $40 for a membership for the year (this is a great deal in my opinion, I think we have been 10 times this past year), we also live close to the worlds largest fresh water beach and buy a provincial park pass for $110 (approx.) this allows us day trips to many provincial parks from April to October (also not a bad deal, the park near us has animals and lots of parks do little eco shows for free). I also went to the tourism place and they gave me some ideas too!
    I get very frustrated with paying to park, and not allowing people to bring food - many places sell food that is very unhealthy (not diabetic friendly) and way overcharge for drinks and water.
    I think you could start a group of frustrated people tierd of paying too much for family fun.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

Yes it is insane! We aim for one "big" more expensive thing to do each year and a few smaller "memorable" things!
    ssbean likes this.
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information