User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: Costs for family outings :(

Trading Score
    135 (100%)

i always try to find affordable seasonal things to do when I'm looking after my cousin's kids (and will likley do the same with my own when I have them)...

Best thing I think was taking the 2 "city kids" to a maple sugar bush in the spring last year... we got a free wagon ride from the parking lot (free parking) to the bush and also a bunch of crafty things which were free as well.... something like $4 per for a plate with 2-3 pancakes, suasage and maple syrup and also a drink... the kids had a blast and they really learned a lot of about being "outside" in "nature" since they rarely do stuff like that in the city...

they actaully told me it was the best day they ever had out (might have been a heat of the moment thing but whatever) almost brought tears to my eyes... we took photos through out and the next weekend got together to make a homemade scrapbook with the photos, crafts, and various things they picked up while we were out
    ninna and ssbean like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was at Webster's Falls last autumn and I cannot remember a place anywhere along there that would be safe for swimming. It is a nice hike though.

Trading Score
    182 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    I was at Webster's Falls last autumn and I cannot remember a place anywhere along there that would be safe for swimming. It is a nice hike though.
    ok thanks

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_love_to_save View Post
    has anybody been to Webster Waterfalls in hamilton...i am planning to go there this weekend as someone told me we can swim there....
    So far i only bought Wonderland season passes, we are planning on going at least 4 times, i want to go to Rattlesnake conservation area and take the kids hiking. probably will do Sauble beach one weekend which basically will cost gas and parking (lunch will be home made )
    Webster's Falls is beautiful, it was where DH and I got engaged. No swimming though. Last I heard, they closed access to the base of the falls because the stairs down were deemed unsafe. It is crazy-busy there on the weekends and pretty much impossible to park unless you get there early in the morning (lots of people go in the morning and stay all day) or maybe if you go further on to Tews falls and then take the 10-15min walk back to Webster's. If you go to Tews falls (which are taller than Niagara Falls), make sure you also take the path along to Dundas Peak, which is a spectacular, panoramic view of the Dundas Valley.

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

this thread makes me sigh.

outings are so expensive.
    walkonby, ssbean and flyingdutch like this.
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

yup i know it well.. it's why we don't do any of the "touristy" activites in town.. to take toodles to the museum would cost me easily $50.. and it not like we could make a day of it a 4yr old gets tired and bored after maybe an hour and a half of looking at displays.. and don't even mention buchart! i've never gone because i can't warrant dropping $30+ a head to wander around a garden
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I think the problem is now that there are more expensive attractions to visit locally than there used to be in some cities. I remember I'd have friends who would go to Disneyland/Disneyworld etc. in the 80's when I was a kid, but it seemed so distant to me that it wasn't much of a big deal. We were a one-income family (Dad was a school principal during the year and drove transport trucks in the summer while Mom stayed home), and yet, I felt like we we were better off financially than the families of the friends who were taking these trips. For my parents, having things nice at home was more important than travel. I think it's all about priorities.

We'd camp a couple of times a year, and we did go on a couple of trips -- one to Sudbury/Toronto/Montreal/Quebec City when I was eleven, and one to Minneapolis/Wisconsin Dells when I was fourteen. We went to amusement/waterparks/tours when we were there, and I know they were expensive. What I really enjoyed the most was stopping in Thunder Bay to look for rocks with amethyst in them.

We don't take our 3-year-old DS to much yet, but the CN Rail shops had a big family open house here at the beginning of June, and boy, did he love that! Shop tours, bouncer, inflatable maze, tour of a passenger train, chance to climb up on an engine, ice cream and face painting, and a train souvenir -- all free.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giddymonkey View Post
    Webster's Falls is beautiful, it was where DH and I got engaged. No swimming though. Last I heard, they closed access to the base of the falls because the stairs down were deemed unsafe. It is crazy-busy there on the weekends and pretty much impossible to park unless you get there early in the morning (lots of people go in the morning and stay all day) or maybe if you go further on to Tews falls and then take the 10-15min walk back to Webster's. If you go to Tews falls (which are taller than Niagara Falls), make sure you also take the path along to Dundas Peak, which is a spectacular, panoramic view of the Dundas Valley.
    I grew up in Dundas and hiked to the PEAK almost daily from the bottom paths. Definately park at TEWS and do the hike to the PEAK, go back to TEWS for picnic lunch and then hike the other way to WEBSTERS. The stairs are now closed so you cannot access the bottom of the falls unless you hike in from the old train station. (park down in Dundas by the old highschool, currently being renovated) or on the side street by the golf course, hike up on the let side of the gorge and follow the path to websters. (bruce trail, marked with white trail markers)
    We used to walk up the creek bed all the way to the falls when I was younger, a fair hike, will take good portion of day to get in and out.
    i_love_to_save likes this.
    Looking for FPC for almost everything. Growing teen boy eating me out of house and home. Visit my facebook page www.facebook.com/UneekCreations Will trade finished product from my Etsy shop.

Trading Score
    182 (100%)

u lucky,,... i wish i knew about these places before buying my Wonderland season passes

Quote Originally Posted by momgoneawol View Post
    I grew up in Dundas and hiked to the PEAK almost daily from the bottom paths. Definately park at TEWS and do the hike to the PEAK, go back to TEWS for picnic lunch and then hike the other way to WEBSTERS. The stairs are now closed so you cannot access the bottom of the falls unless you hike in from the old train station. (park down in Dundas by the old highschool, currently being renovated) or on the side street by the golf course, hike up on the let side of the gorge and follow the path to websters. (bruce trail, marked with white trail markers)
    We used to walk up the creek bed all the way to the falls when I was younger, a fair hike, will take good portion of day to get in and out.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For GTAers - If you have a metropass it can actually save you money on admission to some local attractions CN Tower, Casa Loma, AGO, Ontario Science Centre - Some good til 2013! - usually up to 20% off or a cheaper rate on admission check the link below!:

http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Passes/Metropass/Metropass_Hot_Dealz/index.jsp

The ROM is discounted from 4:30pm- 8:30pm on Fridays (back in the day it was free but you know) - Here is a link to their ticket info http://www.rom.on.ca/visit/tickets.php/

I find i'm searching like a mad woman for deals as Hubby and I are going away on vacay this week - but I do find that guidebooks from the library offer you good places to look for freebies/cheaper attractions/places to grab food

Hope those help :D
    http://frugalkris.blogspot.ca
    Check it out for my couponing, freebies and money saving experiences!
    Twitter @FrugalKris

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have three teenagers, and it's just about impossible to get them to agree on going anywhere as a family (unless it includes copious amounts of food). So...take advantage of going places with the children when they are young! If you are lucky enough to live near an aquarium or zoo, often there are discounts for being members and you can get in cheaper at other zoos or aquariums too.

I take my three on holidays in the winter, now that is expensive.

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

my whole immediate family, myself, my bf, my mom, dad, sister, brother in law, their son, and 1 year old daughter all went to wonderland this past weekend.

we used the icoke online discount so with tax and processing fees they came to $41, which is pretty decent.

$15 for parking each car

$2.26 each for our share of a locker in the water park area
    we packed a cooler for lunch and went outside in the picnic area and ate there for free

before we left we decided to get some funnel cake
    $12 each
    and some bulk candy $7

Overall the day cost me and my bf: $119 --- Yea thats the only time we're going to wonderland this year

We've planned a bunch of free events this summer as well. we've gone to wasaga once, and we're going again in august.
    We're going to Fifty Point (conservation area) on sunday.

My mom reccomends going to a beach in brampton called Professors Lake, theres a small fee to get in, $2.50 per person or $5.50 for a family of 4. Your allowed to park for free and bring your own lunch. good deal
    Jasminebed and ssbean like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by c_mcarthur View Post
    my whole immediate family, myself, my bf, my mom, dad, sister, brother in law, their son, and 1 year old daughter all went to wonderland this past weekend.

we used the icoke online discount so with tax and processing fees they came to $41, which is pretty decent.

$15 for parking each car

$2.26 each for our share of a locker in the water park area
    we packed a cooler for lunch and went outside in the picnic area and ate there for free

before we left we decided to get some funnel cake
    $12 each
    and some bulk candy $7

Overall the day cost me and my bf: $119 --- Yea thats the only time we're going to wonderland this year

We've planned a bunch of free events this summer as well. we've gone to wasaga once, and we're going again in august.
    We're going to Fifty Point (conservation area) on sunday.

My mom reccomends going to a beach in brampton called Professors Lake, theres a small fee to get in, $2.50 per person or $5.50 for a family of 4. Your allowed to park for free and bring your own lunch. good deal
    I live just down the road from Fifty Point but have never been. What is there to do there? Is is good for hiking/biking?

Frugal is not being cheap cherielake's Avatar
    Trading Score
    397 (100%)

I hear ya! I like being able to take my kids places but with the cost of some things its damn near impossible. Even the movies are getting pretty pricey. I live an hour away from anywhere so we usually go to Brandon (MB) to do shopping, rec,ect.. i THINK THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK THERE WAS RUCKERS. oops sorry for the caps.. Anyways I spent 100$ 4 kids plus myself. They used their tickets they won for popcorn drinks pizza. they had alot of fun. Didnt bring home much prizes but i think its the experience they'll remember more anyways

Looking for some cute or fun handmade gifts? Check out my facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/bowtique.ccs

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

If you have a Chuck E. Cheese near you it's always a good way to kill an afternoon that's not too bad. You have to buy the tokens but if you sign up for their emails they send you coupons. You don't have to eat there and the kids LOVE those games. We take the kids atleast one a year and my DD, who is now 13 still enjoys it. We have a tradtion of making her get her picture done at the sketching machine every year.
    ssbean likes this.

Need a new thing-a-ma-bob? Get it free and easy with Swagbucks! Fill out surveys, play games, watch videos and get paid to do it! Amazon, PayPal and lots of other gift cards to be had!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information