User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Most helpful tip you wish you could go back in time and tell yourself?

Trading Score
    200 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tweets77 View Post
    Never ever start smoking!
    Ditto.
    ROMEO and Angela273 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Read the pet insurance documents and updates thoroughly so you don't find out you've been paying an extra $2 per MONTH for TEN YEARS on premiums when you could have paid annually and saved $240 in fees!
    ROMEO, Angela273 and Ciel like this.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Tell my much younger self to not be so frivolous with money. If I was the way I am today when I was younger, my savings account would probably be closer to the $10,000 mark easily, maybe even $12,000!!!!
    Angela273, Ciel and coupon girl like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by brunt View Post
    Mine has nothing to do with money.

As a big time nerd in a school that emphasized sports, I had a pretty rough time in high school. It took me until I was about 20 before I figured out how to deal with bullies.

So that's what I would tell my younger self - that the currency that a bully seeks is a reaction. A reaction of fear, a reaction of avoidance, a reaction of submission. A demonstration of their dominance over you is what is sought. It is not about the violence, it is about your reaction to it. If you deny them the payoff, you stop the actions. Don't give a damn what they say. Don't flinch when they start to throw a punch. Don't avoid them. Don't avoid their gaze. Just treat them as if they don't matter to you in the least.

And that would have made my life in high school a fair bit better.
    I was the pre-Nerd kid..small, glasses and a deathwish and a well skilled right hook that Lisbeth Salander would have been proud of!
    brunt and Ciel like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I should have talked (in my teens) to people with different careers in the community to expand my ideas of what different fields required in terms of education, professional designations and workplace environments. My parents were from another country so their career guidance notions were not particularly helpful as both kind of had to leave home early in adulthood (less mouths to be fed scenario from the grandparents).

High school career guidance was not really helpful and well, some college courses were great but my program choice probably needed tweaking. However I'm reading Larry Smith's No Fears No Excuses book-it is definitely the 21st century's guide to career planning-helpful for the soon to be post-secondary students all the way to mid-life or later career changers (because life happens and it can mean job losses (economy etc.) so...). Look up his TED talk online.
    spanishpoet likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Not to have wasted so much money on magazines, beauty products, clothes, etc when I was younger.

I also wish I had gotten a government job - would have had a pension,medical coverage....either municipal, or provincial government....turned down a job with Ont government which I always regretted.
    Angela273 and Ciel like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    Yeah, I often shake my head when people struggling financially have expensive iPhones. Some even post hard-luck stories and request free stuff on Kijiji -- and they're using their iPhones to do it!

I guess it's like a social worker speaking at an inservice once said: some of the most impoverished households have the biggest TVs!

It's all about priorities.
    I know some people that struggle and several got evicted for not paying rent yet their kids each had iPhone 6's, tons of appls and data usage, Apple computers, Nike shoes, big tv's, every cable package available, eat out all of the time.....they complained to me about lack of money, using food banks, etc. To me rent and food would be my #1 priority.
    Last edited by barbis9; Mon, Jul 25th, 2016 at 04:31 PM.
    Angela273, JadeAngel, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    I'm going to have to try that. I just wish I could save more though...I'm hoping to add a second job during Christmas time and put the income from job #2 all into savings. I don't get interest on my chequing account and I need to keep the balance above $3000 or they start charging me a $4 monthly fee, so if I can just make ends meet with job #1 and keep that balance above 3000, the rest will go in savings so I'm less tempted to touch it. Plus I have to pay for school out of savings so I need to try and put that money back somehow before I think of shopping for "things" outside of what I need.
    Have you thought of switching to a free chequing account like PC financial? That way the $3,000 could be earning interest somewhere else.
    Angela273 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    I know some people that struggle and several got evicted for not paying rent yet their kids each had iPhone 6's, tons of appls and data usage, Apple computers, Nike shoes, big tv's, every cable package available, eat out all of the time.....they complained to me about lack of money, using food banks, etc. To me rent and food would be my #1 priority.
    Yes- these people drive me nuts. Talking about going bankrupt because they can't pay their Credit card that they have racked up but the next weekend going to the city for the weekend to stay in hotel, Jays game and eating out etc. Priorities.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    Not to have wasted so much money on magazines, beauty products, clothes, etc when I was younger.

I also wish I had gotten a government job - would have had a pension,medical coverage....either municipal, or provincial government....turned down a job with Ont government which I always regretted.
    Everything happens for a reason! I truly believe in that.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Why are you not chasing summer or part-time jobs despite what "no's" your parents give you?
    Heads up-the parents will expect you to have moved on out at 18yrs of age even though they do not say it. Develop those mind-reading skills.
    Darth Penguin likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Make wills. Ensure everything is in joint names if you have a spouse.
    Tweets77, JadeAngel, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

Open a savings account, Im surprised my parents never opened one for me..

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Why are you not chasing summer or part-time jobs despite what "no's" your parents give you?
    Heads up-the parents will expect you to have moved on out at 18yrs of age even though they do not say it. Develop those mind-reading skills.
    Make sure your children have the minimal practical skills they need to function as adults..do laundry, cook, balance a budget..

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Will admit to the following:
    -parents did not open savings accounts for sibling nor I; money was always a battle in this house and it continues. Budgeting-Mom did the best she could but often one thing had to be chosen and rest not chosen. When Dad closed their joint bank account, Mom went to places with kitchens to get work/money. She really could not afford her car year round but somehow did it. Lots of things had to be not expected to be bought.
    -laundry became a thing for me by middle school especially as we did not have a connected or functioning dryer. I learned that you cannot dry jeans in winter outdoors (cardboard laundry) and to pick laundry nights when heat was on to dry jeans mostly overnight. Ironing wet jeans was not a fun task after a couple of times.
    -cooking-I liked quick things and sending away for free recipe books was an incentive to expand my range. Wish we had the Joy of Cooking book during my teen years--I would have understood different techniques. I do not really like the foods from home (parents' native country) that my parents ate except for some desserts. Home Economics in middle school introduced me to a few foods I did not previously eat.
    -as a female, parents always ranted how I could not be out at night. So that was one factor of several that impeded my retail job quest as older teen. Sibling got away with more. Do I wish I had Internet in my youth-YES! I did manage to do two end of year library inventory jobs at high school, so that was a bit of summer money during daytime hours.

Had I been successful in getting teenage retail jobs during summer or school, I might have had to prioritize money decisions for needed things. College might have been still delayed but at least Mom would not have had to spend her money on my schooling. I still feel guilty about her sacrifices financially. Her upbringing really stressed marriage by adulthood and not budgeting (her parents and grandparents handled the money)--but Mom did have a chance to work in a factory. She could have avoided marrying my Dad the selfish person he is and stayed in her native land.

But time flows one way in life. So we learn or not learn.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sun, Jan 15th, 2017 at 10:47 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information