User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: School Supplies for 2012-2013 Session - Deals !!!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

The Dollarama beside La FLamberge but they were plastic not cloth I think. I did not buy one I just saw them hanging there sorry.

Member of rep ho-ing club kelly25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Bah! The thought of DS starting school in a few weeks makes me ill…

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I found the smock at zellers. It had no SKU it took about 10 minutes for the cashier to get the help, but it was the only one left.
    9.97 was not that bad compared to 12.88 at walmart the louis garneau & bureau en gros was 14.88.
    Cause I'm a princess thats why!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    I try to re-use some stuff and I used to go to Bureau en gros at the end of the season but I always ended up with crap they don't use. The thing that really bothers me is in high school when they ask for a specific scientific calculator. Well what do you think happens to them? The kids who can't afford it steal them and my son went through 3 one year . Same goes for textbooks, one year he ended up with 2 history books, someone took his science book, replaced it with a history book, well guess how much mom had to pay for that one ? $100!!!!
    Scientific calculators for grades 11 and 12 calculus are expensive (in the $100 range)! Teachers tend to want to have all students using the same one so that they can walk them through equation demonstrations etc. High schools in my city have them available for rental ($20 for the year) for students who do not wish to purchase one.

I have been interested and surprised to read about all the extra charges people are paying. There was a challenge to school fees in British Columbia several years ago and the courts deemed almost all fees at public school to be 'illegal'. The reason was that for some students, equal access to public education is denied when they are unable to take certain classes because of fees. So, in our province I paid $12 for a French workbook each year and that was it for my two kids. (Of course, we paid for our own 'school supplies') I cannot imagine having to pay for text books and what that would mean for some students and their families. What do people do if they have three kids in high school???
    Last edited by DianneS; Sun, Aug 12th, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Just read the rest of the thread and I am picking myself up off the floor. You PAY for lunch time supervision??!!! I simply don't understand how low income families cope with this.

When my kids were in primary school, we sent a scrapbook a box of kleenex and $30 each September. The school district would bulk order the supplies for students, allowing them to furnish every classroom with the same items for the school year. At the end of the year the teachers would divide up the crayons, markers, pencils, etc. and send each child home with something. People complained that it cost $30 to send their kid to school for the year....
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    87 (100%)

Wow! Unbelievable! I need to pay more stuff each years for kids. And the stuff they need is always a "must have". I remember when I was young, all we need was a small fee for activity books.

Now, some school aks for a computer for each kid.

Quote Originally Posted by DianneS View Post
    Just read the rest of the thread and I am picking myself up off the floor. You PAY for lunch time supervision??!!! I simply don't understand how low income families cope with this.

When my kids were in primary school, we sent a scrapbook a box of kleenex and $30 each September. The school district would bulk order the supplies for students, allowing them to furnish every classroom with the same items for the school year. At the end of the year the teachers would divide up the crayons, markers, pencils, etc. and send each child home with something. People complained that it cost $30 to send their kid to school for the year....
    More savings and tips? Go see this site.

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

In first grade, I was asked to provide something like 14 HB pencils. I did the math and calculated that DD would have a new pencil every 6 1/4 days.

Of course, the teacher wanted it all in her class, NO NAME ON IT, so she can dole them out as she saw fit. I told the teacher that my daughter was a human child and not a beaver and that she didn't need that many wooden pencils and to put a note in her agenda when she neede one. The teacher was furious, according to her, if my daughter ended up illeterate it would be my fault... I stuck to my guns.
    super_e and DianneS like this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread Information