User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Is CTC the Child Tax Credit? and why would they give me it now??

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

subbing cause I am nosy and want to know the outcome of this, lol.
    hollyquaiscer and walkonby like this.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I think this is my first rant but I am ticked, confused and insulted.
    So I see this mysterious Direct Deposit on the 20th and it says CTC, ( Child Tax Credit? ) and I know I deliver Baby Bonus cheques usually around that day, but I'm thinking " no way, we never get that! "
    O.K. so the reason I am ticked.
    We have never qualified for baby Bonus ( well that was the old name I think) because apparently we are gazillionaires with so much income, we couldn't possibly have used any Government help when raising the kids.
    Oh wait, there WAS a very small window of time when the Gov't did give DH and I around $22.00 each month ( FOR 3 KIDS ),
    but it only lasted long enough for me to say sarcastically for a few months to DH " so which one of the kids eats this month?? ".

The insult is my " baby " turns 18 very soon, so isn't that the age the CTC ends??
    If so, what a joke! Deny me when I sure could have use it when the kids were small and money was quite stretched and now offer me this time sensitive nugget of government assistance that really does not provide DD with much anyhow.

ok I'm done.

You know? I actually DO feel better now that I have ranted!

I believe I heard something about them taking things like a property tax credit and making it a monthly credit starting in July. Perhaps that is what you got.

As for not qualifying for the credits for when the kids where young I take that as a good thing because it means you have more income. As a single mom that makes less that 18K a yr those credits so mean more or less food on the table. I wish I made enough to not get the CTC. Heck I would love to even have a job with benefits because I don't have anything.

Sorry for my own rant.
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by csaund21 View Post
    You can create an account on CRA's website and check all your info there! CCTB payments, Income tax info and tons of other stuff.
    No it isnt, though. Child benefits are calculated July-July
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Ok, so I completely get your rant. I get enough to buy myself a big mac or something similar once a month for my two kids. BUT its all based upon income. The more you and your husband make the less you get, the calculations do change to average household incomes and the economy, inflation etc.

It's more so there to help those out that don't make much to supplement their incomes and help out, so it does make sense the more you make the less you get. I'm assuming this years calculations are different thats why your getting money for your one child now. Yes it does suck that now that theyll be 18 and you just started getting a few bucks in your bank theyll stop.

BUT by the sounds of it if you've never qualified you've never been too hard off financially and thats a good thing!!!!!! Not a bad thing!!!!!!

Last edited by Sally888; Sun, Jul 22nd, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
    matrix82, Natalka, KK7 and 6 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Thanks for the input everyone.

I never intended for this to sound ungrateful, there certainly are enough people struggling on a single income and using food banks, I know that.
    When the gov't makes that threshold to qualify I am honest in all of my filings and to be told " oh you make too much " when I know first hand that other people have been getting monthly cheques for years that make even more $$ than DH and I BUT they hide their income in various devious ways ( I will not elaborate)....it just gets to me.

I got used to being cut off from this benefit a long time ago, so really like Sally888 said it is a good thing to be considered financially better off than some of the most needy members of society.

Here's a tidbit for you all, did you know years ago the households in Rosedale ( where I worked at the time ) were getting monthly help from the gov't. HA! Million $$ homes, and they got a monthly stipend.
    Should've had the kids back then I guess.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Back in the day everyone got the money and then it was clawed back on their income tax return. I remember that being the case when I was a kid. I believe some of the canada pension stuff is still done that way. You have to wonder if they did it different if it would make the papershuffle less insane with all these credits.
    walkonby likes this.
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I got a check from them, too. First time in years! On the stub it says my monthly amount is $2.xx, but rather than sending a check for that small amount every month they sent me one for $50.xx to cover me from July 2012 - July 2013. LOL! My daughter is really gonna have to budget to make that $50 last a whole year!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Well DH has the answer! He said it was likely all a big mistake and I will be having it taken from my account very soon.
    Stay tuned for rant # 2

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Baby boy #1 is expected in September, so I am looking into CCTB.
    Natalka and hollyquaiscer like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Yup. July is the month that it changes over from the 2011 tax season. So July 2012-June 2013 is based on your 2011 income. That part always irks me. I'm on mat leave right now so our income is much lower but my CTC is based on last year's income. Then once I go back and file taxes for 2012 I'll get more $ cause my income was less while I was on mat leave. Duh! I could use that money now while I'm on mat leave, not next year!

You could always have another baby and start getting it for the next 18yrs!
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

I was also going to suggest either create a CRA account and check the #'s yourself to be sure.. or it was a mistake. thankfully dh may have found out before you spent it. .. any chance your income changed even a little from last year.. that you may be getting even a small amount for your DD..
    btw i know all about the 18 year old thing. thankfully he falls into the adult 'cheque' category now and gets the extras we sometimes get. nice for him however.. holy cow doesn't nearly cover the food he eats. reminds me to change the light on the revolving door on the fridge.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Not sure if this is Child Tax benefit as on my statement it shows as ' EFT Credit Canada '

Which comes up for any Government deposit - ie child tax, maternity leave deposit, gst cheque etc. Possibly its something different?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    Not sure if this is Child Tax benefit as on my statement it shows as ' EFT Credit Canada '

Which comes up for any Government deposit - ie child tax, maternity leave deposit, gst cheque etc. Possibly its something different?
    I think you are right - it must be something different.
    We get the EFT Credit Canada message too.
    Then we get something in the mail to confirm.
    Candini likes this.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I think you are right - it must be something different.
    We get the EFT Credit Canada message too.
    Then we get something in the mail to confirm.
    Naw it just depends on your bank. EFT means Electronic Funds Transfer.
    My deposit says: CANADA CTC
    Last edited by Sally888; Sun, Jul 22nd, 2012 at 09:43 PM.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    Yup. July is the month that it changes over from the 2011 tax season. So July 2012-June 2013 is based on your 2011 income. That part always irks me. I'm on mat leave right now so our income is much lower but my CTC is based on last year's income. Then once I go back and file taxes for 2012 I'll get more $ cause my income was less while I was on mat leave. Duh! I could use that money now while I'm on mat leave, not next year!

You could always have another baby and start getting it for the next 18yrs!

OMG!! Best suggestion yet!

That'll show the gov't!!

Uh...oh wait....I think I am expired in that department!

matrix82, Natalka, Insane and 3 others like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information