User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Hi everyone!

I'll be in grade 11 next year and I was wondering if you guys knew of any scholarships I could apply for. I do lots of volunteering (mainly at a hospital but also at big events). I know most banks offer them, but what else is there?

Thanks

P.S: When is the next meetup? I haven't been to the last few, but my mom went.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Next meet up most probably September 8th
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

[QUOTE=abominablecupcake;4847108]Hi everyone!

I'll be in grade 11 next year and I was wondering if you guys knew of any scholarships I could apply for. I do lots of volunteering (mainly at a hospital but also at big events). I know most banks offer them, but what else is there?

Thanks

I am a bit of a scholarship expert but it depends on your grades, your cegep/university, your field of study, your ethnic background, your financial need. If you're an average caucasian student going into social sciences with reliable parents that work, you won't have much in the way of scholarships and you should apply for loans and bursaries and try to get the best grades possible to get scholarships. If you are an ethnic minority, have limited parental support, have perfect grades, are going into the sciences etc. you have a much better chance of getting bursaries but apply for loans and bursaries first and ask to meet with a financial aide person at your school asap.

The nice thing in Quebec is that you can pay for your schooling if you work part time and live at home.

If you really can't afford school & can't live at home, but you don't find funding you can pm me. I know a few tricks to get extra government funding but it would depend on your situation so please email me with non-identifying specific details (if you live at home with your parents, are low income, have excellent grades, whats your field of study etc).

Good luck in school!!!!!

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

From personal experience, it's hard to get a bursary or a good loan. I live on my own with my boyfriend. Our rent is sky-high, and we have a car to pay for. I go to McGill University and apply for Aide Financiere Aux Etudes as well as the McGill school loan. Despite the fact that I'm working part time and don't get support from my mother, the government considers her annual income. When I tried to dispute this, the response was simply that as long as I am a full-time student and under 25 years old, I am dependent on my mother and therefore her financial situation is considered. This is despite me telling them that I support myself It's tough living on your own and paying your way through University. Good luck to you though.
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    33 (100%)

If you are planning on working part time during the next year while in grade 11, I know that some companies offer scholarships for their employees. I believe Tim Hortons has a program like this. Maybe you could look into something like that. I'm not sure of your situation, but some cegeps offer emergency funds for items like food or buses should you become in need. Because college (cegep) in Quebec is concidered free, if you are a full time student, obtaining bursary money is very difficult. Good Luck.

Thread Information