User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: I don't understand some people...

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

I work at Zellers (yes I know, lots of complaints about Zellers, but I swear I'm not rude to my customers and DO try to help as much as possible!)
    Anyways, I was put on the till in the Diner today and had a (somewhat-regular customer) come to me with a pair of shoes she wanted to purchase.
    At first she was complaining that our other checkout wasn't open, so I explained to her that we can't open that checkout and the door to the mall until the mall opens, but that I would be more than happy to take her at my till so she wouldn't have to go downstairs and probably wait in a line up. Before I scanned the item she said (quite rudely) "These are 70% off!" I scanned them and they were regular price and she told me that they were on a table with the sign. So I called someone from that department since I'm not allowed to get up and walk around the store. I also told her that it's 70% off yellow stickered items, and then asked if there was just this one pair like this on the table or if there were multiples. She said "I don't know! but it was on the table so it's 70% off!!"
    While waiting for the lady in the department to call back I told her that someone is double checking for me, and that maybe another person decided they didn't want it anymore and just left it there instead of putting it back where it belongs. As soon as I said it she slammed the shoes back down on the counter and stormed off saying it's not that big a deal and the shoes aren't worth it and that I'm horrible at my job and don't know my own stores prices.
    Why is it that so many people assume it's the cashiers fault when something is wrongly priced or something is put in the wrong spot?
    I've had her come threw my till and seen her at other tills blowing up at other people for similar things, but never the associates on the floor who actually have a bit of power when it comes to pricing things.
    This thread is currently associated with: Zellers

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

my theory is , 90% of retail shoppers leave their house without their brains.

I should add that ive worked in retail for 6 years and i've seen IT ALL.
    LOL

that being said there are some good shoppers, but i still stick by my theory.
    I had a lady scream at me over the phone because we dont carry a product featured on our website.... uh our website is american #1 and you cant honestly expect a store to carry everything you see online unless they have a feature that shows which stores have that particular item in stock. Which our website DOESNT have.
    Last edited by c_mcarthur; Wed, Aug 1st, 2012 at 09:40 PM.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

awww hugs My gf says the same thing when she is on cash at WM that she gets yelled at for errors and even had someone leave all the stuff at her register because her coupon was not valid and she threw a fit and left. Even when I was a cashier at Tim Horton's people who ask why things cost so much and I would say headquarters determine it and why certain donuts aren't available in all locations. The small time I was cashier at Wm I couldn't deal with it and asked to be on the floor. People need to treat cashiers with respect .
    GoJays, ssbean, cath007 and 2 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    166 (100%)

agreed
    ssbean likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Unfortunatley we have a few regular customers that are always rude to us (even if there's nothing actually wrong with their shopping trip),
    We have one lady who's so rude that our stock guys and managers tend to hide in the back rooms unless they're called. Everyone's scared of her or can't put up with her most of time.
    I was helping her one time and she was looking at an item I had suggested so I was waiting to see if she had anymore questions, and another customer came up to me and asked what direction pop was. The first customer interupted her and actually said, "EXCUSE ME, she's helping ME! I'M a priority customer! You'll have to wait or find someone else."

she also doesn't let other associates help. For example, once she asked me a question that I didn't know the answer and my manager was beside me and answered it and she interupted him and said "SHE'S helping me. NOT you!"
    Last edited by AlyssaDarling; Wed, Aug 1st, 2012 at 09:46 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

She also has an evil psychotic axe murder stare that makes me want to run to my mommy! lol
    GoJays, ssbean, DianneS and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, had similar customers when I worked cash.
    You were being tested to see if you knew your stuff.
    When she found that you followed the rules, she went off in a huff to try to scam another employee.
    GoJays, xox2010, ssbean and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    234 (100%)

I think she was probably trying to pull a fast one. She knew that those shoes didn't qualify for 70% but thought if she huffed and puffed, you'd give it to her. However, once u explained that you were having someone double check, she knew she wouldn't be getting that discount - so she threw a hissy fit and stormed out.
    If she was right, and there were multiples on the table, she would have waited for the shoes cuz 70% off is a pretty good deal.
    GoJays, DaveP, xox2010 and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Wow. I'm surprised that Zellers shoes would be worth it to her... I can't see myself buying most Zellers shoes even at 70% off of the clearance prices!
    GoJays and ssbean like this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

AlyssaWolfe, I can totally relate to you - I work at a Zellers (in ON) on the floor. I cannot wait until the clearance sale is over TBH. People seem to think everything is on clearance and can't understand the concept that the sale only applies to yellow ticketed merchandise!
    Natalka, GoJays, ssbean and 2 others like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

xox2010, I'm suprised you aren't liquidating! I thought they all were out east already.
    ssbean likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I think it should be mandatory for EVERYONE to be a retail worker for a week and a server in a restaurant for week before they allowed in the real world. Both can be gratifying jobs when you have great customers but Jeesh I see some wing nuts out there and I am just a customer not an employee.

Sorry you had such a crappy day
    GoJays, macw1960, DaveP and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I agree with thriftygranny! Having worked in retail (grocery store and ladies clothing store) for almost 15 years I have seen it all! And there is NEVER an excuse to be treated badly because you work in retail. Hugs to OP!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

aww poor u!
    AlyssaDarling likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Some people are just horrible.

The longer I work at my job the easier I can say no, and hold my ground. This comes in handy with jerks.

Also, some people just don't have enough brain cells to process that a 2x5 box of space is where you spend 4-8 hours of your day. You don't know crap beyond what goes on within 10 feet of that box.

People are horrible and rude. End of story. They also think that being horrid will get them their way.

Just smile and try to deal with it and go home and scream so loudly you break glass. Tis all you can do in the magical world of serving people who leave their brains at the door.
    GoJays, xox2010, Shwa Girl and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information