User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

So last week when the P&G Brandsaver came out in the US papers, we ran down and grabbed a few, thinking as long as they didn't specifically say "valid only in the US", it would be okay to use them in Canada. Then my friend pointed out to me that you can't use coupons in Canada unless the retailer has a Canadian address to send them back to.

But the more I look at these coupons and flyers from WA stores, the more I am convinced we could save a bundle on our non-food grocery items like toiletries and household supplies by going to WA if we could co-ordinate sales and coupons.

Do any of you regularly use US coupons at US stores to save money? What is your system? What have you learned not to do? Give me some tips! Warn me about some little-known rules! Let me know if you have a US coupon wishlist!

Thanks in advance!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    14 (94%)

Where are you located? A local lady (Greater Vancouver) has an online class re coupon shopping in the USA. Cost around $25...but I am not sure if it is applicable only to Washington State stores though.

I have thought about taking it but have started watching online videos from the USA. My favorite US sites are Coupon Mom and the Krazy Coupon Lady. Both have tons of videos on You-tube. I am doing my first big coupon shop at Fred Meyer and Haggens this weekend- I will let you know how it goes!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Another thread mentioned you can print coupons off your computer to use
    redplum.com
    smartsource.com
    Only for USA

Awesome
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Yep, your friend is correct -- those coupons can't be used in Canada.

A copule other places you can print coupons -- coupons.com and there are some coupons exclusive to Target on their website.

I tend not to plan out my trips to the US too much, so I'm not going to be of much help.. But I find that even without coupons, a lot of their stuff is cheaper to begin with. For example, my husband looooooves Skinny Cow ice cream. It's usually around $7 here, but at Target the regular price is around $4 and we found it on sale before for around $3. Shredded cheese here is pretty expensive, and there we're able to get it for around $2 (a smaller package, but it still works out cheaper than the $6-7 bags you find here.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

The betty crocker US site has printables as well.

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

MMKay, thanks for the tip about the online class - you're talking about Mrs. Smith Extreme Shopper, right? I'm a little hesitant to pay $25. What if she just rehashes stuff I could have learned here for free, right? I will check out those YouTube videos. I have so many US coupons now and I notice all the time when we're down there how different the prices are. And it seems like they don't really enforce personal limits anymore - I've brought several hundred dollars' worth of shopping back home and they didn't even want to see the receipts!

Do please let me know how your big coupon shop at Fred Meyer goes - we were there last weekend (alas, with no money ) and saw a lot of possible deals!

Thanks again, MMKay!

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mindymouse View Post
    Another thread mentioned you can print coupons off your computer to use
    redplum.com
    smartsource.com
    Only for USA
    I did see that, thanks... and I also have ways of getting my hands on the inserts that come with the Sunday paper in WA, so I have the coupons - what I need to know now is the best way to put them to work. I know the rules are different there and also, it would be great if anyone who has done a big US shop could share their border experiences. Has anyone been hassled? Any tips?

Thanks for your reply, MindyMouse!

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blawblaw View Post
    Yep, your friend is correct -- those coupons can't be used in Canada.
    Yeah, she's usually right about these things.

I tend not to plan out my trips to the US too much, so I'm not going to be of much help.. But I find that even without coupons, a lot of their stuff is cheaper to begin with. For example, my husband looooooves Skinny Cow ice cream. It's usually around $7 here, but at Target the regular price is around $4 and we found it on sale before for around $3. Shredded cheese here is pretty expensive, and there we're able to get it for around $2 (a smaller package, but it still works out cheaper than the $6-7 bags you find here.
    Absolutely... so much is already cheaper, and then if we can get the whole extreme shopper thing going with sales + coupons, I think we could finally start to pull ahead a little!!

Thanks for your reply!

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by miztia View Post
    The betty crocker US site has printables as well.
    Ooh, thanks miztia!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I get the US Sunday paper every week just for the coupons. I have a US coupon folder that I take with me to the states. I used them at Meijer because they double the value of coupons up to $0.50. Just like in Canada. I match the sales to the coupons I have. You have to know your prices because often the US prices are the same or even more than ours. I go on-line to look at their sales fliers.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    81 (100%)

I really like shopping at walgreens and rite aid, if you buy certian products you get "register rewards" coupons that you can use on your next purchase. You can read all about it on the website iheartwags . com or iheartriteaid . com

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I am interested too as I go across to shop often and travel to california to visit family....I was doing research via google and found this site www.dailyfreebies.com/. I found it helpful because it has stickies like this forum for store policies and weekly/monthly deals

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

there is also a 'pacificnorthwestcouponforum' out there..........not sure of the exact link.........google it, it'll come up...

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    -1 (0%)

I highly recommend checking out www.neverpayretailagain.net (think it's a net?) I'm on my cell so I can't grab her FB page off my phone. But she has listings for coupon matchups. Best thing ever. We do a few shops in the USA. Got $175 in groceries for $95. All with printable coupons. And store sales.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sharbear, how do you get american coupons/inserts from the sunday paper?
    Please share your tricks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information