User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Wow... you have a big baby... (WTF?!?)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think in general when people say that you have a big boy, they mean it as a compliment. You may get tired of hearing it, but most people (including the lady at Walmart) mean well.
    filza and thriftygranny like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I come from a large town (officially a small city) and we're pretty friendly. The older people love to fawn over babies and my co-workers and I fight over who gets to hold our customers' babies. I was always flattered when people would stop and admire my babies. I also didn't mind when people felt my baby belly, it is fascinating to know a "real live baby" is in there. lol
    filza, abbasgirl and ssbean like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    84 (100%)

I have to laugh because my DD just turned 17 months yesterday and she is about 28" tall and only 18lbs. She is such a little peanut and I can imagine if we put the two of them next to each other. They are the same age but he would tower over her.

I'm sure you hear it alot, but most people really do mean it as a compliment. When you don't know someone you can only provide a compliment based on what you see, and for your son, his size is what stands out. I would probably tell people who make comments about junk food and sweets and say I don't allow him to eat those things and he gets his size from eating good, healthy, natural foods. My DS was a little one too, but as a toddler, he had a vocabulary far beyond kids his own age. People would ask how old he was because he was so small, but talked like a four year old and then be amazed when he was only 2. It was cute back then, now if only I could figure out how to get him to stop talking every once in awhile.
    filza and abbasgirl like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    174 (100%)

I had to laugh a little...your ds is 16 months and 29lbs and 36" my ds is also 29lbs and only 35" ...but 4.5! I have the opposite problem clearly. I think when faced with "think before you speak comments" we either are in shock and don't know what to say...or... bring out the inner b**** mom and say something probably not so nice... I would say it is 50/50 for me .
    As long as your dr thinks he is healthy, who cares. oh, and if someone ever touched my kids in a way I thought was inappropriate I would tell them...actually I think my 4yr old would tell them too
    do your best to brush it off and who knows...maybe he will make the nfl and you can have early retirement
    LF: kashi from websaver and 50 cents any cereal printout
    FT: Mann's veg and more! Check out my tradelist/wishlist

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

She shouldn't touch your baby! But congrats on a healthy boy! I bet he will grow up to be some kind of athlete
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Blessed with 4 children
    Trading Score
    347 (100%)

My oldest (now 6 years old) was 24 lbs. at his 7-month check-up and the doctor said he had to be put on a diet. My husband almost punched HER in the face! Lol! His Christening outfit was size 18 mos. but he was only 4 months old...

Trading Score
    0 (50%)

I hear all of you! LoL.

My oldest will be 19 he was 8lb2oz at birth and almost 22 inches long, was always a BIG KID
    Pediatrician kept trying to tell me its a growth spurt he'll slow down soon. Never Happened!
    He's 6'2/6'3 wide, takes up the doorframe 240lbs easy...
    It was always a challenge to find Age appropriate clothes for him growing up
    (By middle school he was in a mens LARGE, hard to keep up w/kids styles believe me)
    He still has issues w/shoes/boots etc etc.

My Girl will be 11 Wednesday, was 8lb12oz and 22.5'' long she's 5ft tall already just over 100lbs
    (i'm on the fun size about 5'5 her dad's 6'6)
    wears a womens medium... Tween clothes are to sexxxy for my liking! Sorry but she does NOT need to wear PeekaBoo or Lace anything!
    Because she is taller than most of her friends and is physically developed well beyond most of them
    So i have pretty much heard the your child is sooo... _________ for the last 19 yrs!!!

It still drives me batty that people assume things and have the nerve to speak it out loud...
    like Cashiers asking to see my health card b/c they think I am scamming them to save on the taxes...
    DO I LOOK LIKE A WOMENS XS/S/S/M?!? Maybe I SHOULD get the ANGRY BIRDS TEE IN LARGE !!!

I'm also dealing w/14/15yr olds who believe she's much older than she is... Gawd middle school is going to be the GREYING of me!!! LoL
    Pls don''t get me started on the BOYS... Her swimsuit was a fight to the near~death... I MADE her get a Tankini... w/a built in bra
    and NOT one of those skimpy near sheer no fabric bikini's like her older friends have... I miss the days of her lil friends being a tight knit group

Trying to find middle ground is not easy and i am very liberal... except when it comes to her !!!
    Last edited by <3 My $aving$ <3; Fri, Aug 10th, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
    matty's mom, jayne_a and ssbean like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

I love babies and I can't help but stop and admire. I usually compliment the parents on the cute little one but leave it at that. I think most people mean well but need to think before they speak.
    Last edited by ssbean; Fri, Aug 10th, 2012 at 11:31 PM.
    Angela273, sweetmomma and jayne_a like this.
    If you are interested in Houseseats here is my referal link:
    http://www.houseseats.ca/[email protected]

Banned
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

ugh, i know.i feel for you. When dd was a baby just everything people said would irritate me, isn't it the worst when there are little ones around people like to say stuff like that and you can't quite figure out if they are trying to p you off or not,lol. i would just shut my mouth, try to get over it and tell myself they probably had good intentions.

My dd was born big 9 lbs 13 oz and everyone said wow that's big but luckilly at that stage i considered it a compliment...she ended up being smaller but everyone always has to open their big mouths,lol.
    Last edited by kris32; Sat, Aug 11th, 2012 at 12:49 AM.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

sounds like the cashier and others suffer from foot in mouth syndrome!
    Angela273 and walkonby like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

shmeelady, I hear your frustration there. Oh and the grabbing of the child's legs and assumption that his size came from sweets!? I might have been rude to her. lol

Well as babies, both my sons were in that 95 percentile category, so yeah bigger than most. It gets worse when they are enrolled in things too. Years ago now, my DS #2 was only 5 but bigger than the 7 yr olds in the class I wanted to put him in on Sat mornings, he was not allowed...not old enough, so he got to sit there and watch his older brother run and have fun. It sucked.
    Congrats on raising a healthy young child. Hang in there.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    166 (100%)

I hate this! I have had a couple people think its ok to reach over and touch my child while talking to me making "big" ITS NOT OK PEOPLE!!! They are healthy babies keep your hands and comments to yourself. Some people mean no harm but others go over board with some of the things they say
    walkonby likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    166 (100%)

.....Oh and please People if you are not 100% sure the gender of a child please DON'T COMMENT!!
    walkonby likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

All of you who have children of average, or typical, size can be thankful! I always felt a little sorry for kids who were big for their age because I think people have a tendency to expect them to behave or act older than they actually are. On the other hand, my son was quite small for his age and I endured the constant comments of "don't worry, he'll grow". (Actually, I wasn't worried until all of you total strangers started harping on his size!). He endured being picked on by the bigger kids in his class and he endured the disadvantages of being the shortest one on sports teams. In the end, though, everything worked itself out -- as it usually does in life. At 19 years of age, he is close to 6 feet tall and quite well-adjusted.
    walkonby and CheriBomb like this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    130 (96%)

I TOTALLY get where you are coming from. My last baby was almost 13 pounds when he was born and has always been big.
    Even now, at the age of 7 he is the size of a 10 year old, and some people are just plain RUDE!
    Because he looks older they think he IS older. So when he acts his age, the comment on hi being slow.
    SLOW?!
    There are simply a no enough four letter words in that situation, but I have no problem using the same one twice.
    walkonby likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information