User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Minou

Thread: going to fargo! any suggestions !

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

i am going to fargo 17th-19th ! does anyone know any good things to buy food wise which is cheep there
    and whats some good coupon websites i can look at and what stores are better to shop at?
    i would love some suggestions
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    220 (100%)

I always come home with shredded cheese and Velveeta. (Yes I know they have different food regulations and I'm fine with that).
    Try and get the Sunday paper as it often has coupons.
    Target site has coupons.
    I'm going to Grand Forks the same weekend and looking forward to the back to school sales.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Their clearance sales will be starting now. Depending what you need, check websites for Kohls, Herbergers, Aeropostale, Old Navy etc. before you go to see if there are any coupons. Get an international shopping pass at Macy's (I think it's 10 or 15% off?) when you go. I think Herberger's is offering 70% off clearance right now. Sears often clears things at low prices, too, though the quality isn't great, while Herberger's often has some really good deals on name-brand men's clothes that normally cost a fortune at The Bay. Macy's sometimes does as well. You can also check the stock at Herberger's in downtown Fargo, as they seem to get less traffic than the mall store.

If you can find a K-mart, they usually have 40% off clearance at this time. Last year, I bought boys' jeans for $3.50 a pair.

Some sales flyers start on Thursday, but many there seem to begin on Sundays.

Dollar Tree had some really nice greeting cards when we were there last year. They have a really nice kitchen store at West Acres Mall across from the food court. Lots of neat gadgets.

If you need a coat, kids' clothes, or a snowsuit, check out Burlington Coat factory -- their regular prices are just a little bit better than department store sale prices. They have all kinds of clothes, housewares, toys, and shoes.

Last year at this time, Walmart was clearing out their kids' T-shirts for $1 each.

Milk products are cheaper, but they allow a lot of stuff to be given to dairy cattle that isn't allowed in Canada. The last few times we've gone, we've found that grocery prices are pretty similar to Canada. Candy is sometimes cheaper. Hornbacher's is a pretty expensive grocery store... Cash Wise foods is okay, and they seem to offer some really good flyer specials that they display near the entrance.

If you have a lot of leftover US change from previous trips, check out Coinstar (there are machines at different locations in Fargo). Some of them allow you to change your coins for a gift card code for places like Chili's, JC Penney, or Amazon. (Machine offerings vary, so definitely check online first). I'm really bad about using up my change, so I had a several-year-old collection of coins around the house. Went to Grand Forks a couple of weeks ago, and had $68 in change to turn into a JC Penney gift card code to use online or in store.
    wendyjane likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I am going to Minneapolis the 15th-17th

Check out coupon.com - there are lots of coupons there. Try walmart.com or target.com as well.

Velveeta is always cheaper there than up here. But there is (or was) a limit on the amount of dairy you could bring back. I think it was around $20, but I have never been really scrutinized on just my dairy. Yogurt is comparable, but I like that they have way more varieties so I stock up on that as well.

Target & Walmart will likely be clearing out school supplies and summer clothes.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Something else I like to do is place online orders for things a month or so before I go on a trip to the US. I have the orders sent to Pembina Parcel Service and pick it up on the way so I can use the duty-free exemption for it. They charge $5 per package left for a month or less. Sure saves on shipping and duty costs to Canada.

We also enjoy shopping at TJ Maxx... Do check K-mart, as they have 30% off clearance prices right now. Good deals on shorts and tops for kids, especially.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    220 (100%)

I hope to be going through a kitchen Reno shortly and am going to look at the induction hot plates. Some quick searches and they could be almost 1/3 the price. Will make living without a kitchen a lot easier.

Thread Information