User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Zonny
  • 1 Post By Springbreeze
  • 1 Post By PammieD

Thread: Gain VS Tide

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

So I am just thinking, since the basics of all soap are really the same, and p&g make both gain and tide, arent they probably just the same detergent with different scents and marketed at different income levels/personnel appeal?...or is there REALLY a difference?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    www.facebook.com/perduemassageclinic good things come to those who like my page

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I think you're probably right, the basic ingredients are the same. I'm used to the smell of Tide, works great for us. I think Gain is the one I smell on people sometimes where you don't want to be downwind because it smells SO strong!
    Last edited by Zonny; Sun, Aug 26th, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
    bgheuchert likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I perfer Gain over Tide, love the scent.
    bgheuchert likes this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I do like the scent of Gain, although yes I find it too strong, mostly because I break out in hives when I use it!! and when others do it does give me a headache . So whatever I get I try to go scent free or with a scent that I don't break out from. Either way though, when it comes to pure cleaning power, has anyone noticed a difference there? I really am thinking Gain is just Tide at a better price point, marketed to a younger crowd. Besides that fact that I had to run for my asthma inhaler I think the clothes were pretty darn clean haha!
    www.facebook.com/perduemassageclinic good things come to those who like my page

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I wonder if they are the exact same formula though?
    It's basically a solvent & water....so maybe Gain has a bit less Solvent and a bit more water and that's why its cheaper?

I love Tide, I just find it gets out common stains better without having to add in anything or presoak, but I generally buy whats on sale. And I only buy tide if it's on sale AND I have a good coupon.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Oops,I deleted that it was a bit like a rant,sorry.I guess my point is who cares if it works as well or better-it's way too strong,and can trigger asthma attacks in innocent bystanders.Unscented Tide or Greenworks can be had for great prices,and even before I personally became scent allergic I bought those out of consideration for a friend with asthma.
    Last edited by secheltsaver; Thu, Aug 30th, 2012 at 02:05 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I like whatever one is cheaper with coupons =)

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I didn't even think of that. Well, I love them both. I don't wash my clothes in Gain though, only my sheets and towels, for the reasons mentioned above (strong smell--which I love!--but is overwhelming for everyday wear lol).
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Trading Score
    187 (100%)

I absolutely love the Gain Apple Tango smell, I actually got compliments on the way my clothes smell. I rarely buy Tide unless I have a coupon and there is a good sale.

Trading Score
    408 (100%)

I too like the smell of the Gain Apple Tango, but I haven't been able to find this Gain on sale for the HE machines - the ones that I do find, are super smelly and bug me. I'm good with the Tide and Sunlight smells (although I do use the unscented ones quite frequently because of my allergies).

I'd highly recommend people try Cheer detergent. It goes on sale all the time at SDM with the Gain ($3.99), and although I've never seen a coupon for Cheer, it's still not a bad price. The scent is nice (but not overpowering) and I've had great luck with it on colours/darks and it seems fine for lights for me (mind you I always add Oxi or another in-wash booster to my lights so...).

Thread Information